Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Winter strikes back!

Winter has struck Michigan again! Yesterday we were having rain and our high temp was 49 degrees. Last night the temperature dropped rapidly, (the weathermen called it a flash freeze) and we had near blizzard conditions all night. This morning when I took this picture the temperature was 6 degrees.This is a picture taken out of our garage this morning. Yesterday there was no snow in the driveway, today - things have changed!
I was very lucky today in the fact that it was my day off and I didn't have to drive through this weather to work like my friend Nancy, or daughter Laura.
Actually Bob also had the day off and college classes where even cancelled for Heather!
Since we were all home, I thought it would be a good day to start on a little challenge from Girlymom of The Red Door. She challenged us yesterday to do a few fun things from her list of 100 things. Her idea is that a lot of people have been sick, blue, tired of winter... and if we all did something like this we would see the lighter side of life. So - here are our 5 things from the list.
.
#8 - learn a new word. Our word for today was:
Flaneur - a person who strolls aimlessly, a lounger, a loafer. We said that this kind of described Bob today. He is never really content to just sit around but because of the weather today he was trapped in the house, and was bored.
.
#34 - make funny faces:
Here are Bob and Heather, doing their part in this little challenge!
.
#29 - take an upside down picture
My camera doesn't believe in upside down. No matter how I turned it, the picture turned out sideways. As you can see Cleo is thrilled to be taking part in this challenge!
.
#19 - do a puzzle
Heather and I worked on a puzzle that is still not finished. It's a gumball machine, and it is quite difficult.
.
#28 - make a new recipe
I made this Bean soup with ham for supper and it was so good - just right for a cold winter night! If you want the recipe, go here.
That's my 5 things. If you are interested in joining this challenge, visit Girlymom here.

post signature


21 comments:

Nate and Brenda said...

That picture of Bob and Heather is priceless! I think that needs to show up at church sometime!!!!!

Saija said...

your outdoors, looks like our outdoors!!! boy is it COLD now ... brrrrr ... your soup looks like something that is needed on days like this!!!

A Captured Reflection said...

Looking at the photograph it looks beautiful and serene, but the reality of snow and ice is far from the truth isn't it? I loved all the things you guys did at home. What a great family you are!! It is incredibly hot here, almost airless, heat lasting deep into the early hours...but it's not humid right now which is great.

Bonnie said...

I love puzzles !! Looking at yours I've decided it is time to start another one !!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Love the new word, and the picture of Bob and Heather! What a great day you guys had, and you grew, who knew!!!

girlymom said...

MARI~ You are the BEST!
Thank You Thank You Thank You!!
I hope you enjoyed the Challenge, I love the pictures, what a way to start my day~ this is great! I am setting up a list of links to people who participated~ Thank You again! Oh and it must have been a day to take pictures of cats, we did the same thing here and got the same enthusiastic look from our cat! They are promising better weather for one day, watch out for Friday though- Ugh. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my that's COLD!!!

I'm glad you didn't have to drive and go to work. I hope Laura was safe.

Looks as though you all had fun! My oldest would love to work a puzzle---no space to keep it out to work on.

Loved the funny face photo too!

Laura said...

That was fun! And yes - I think Dad makes a fine flaneur. Aaron is also quite a good flaneur sometimes! :)

And that soup looks fantabulous!

Chelle' said...

I'm salivating at the soup... I love ham and bean soup. My mom used to make it for me... split peas to be exact.

I would know it was in the works because the ham bone would simmer on the stove for HOURS... um um good.

Love this challenge you are doing. I'll have to read up on it because sounds like a fun thing to participate in...

Have a great day... new friend!

Beth Cotell said...

That soup looks delicious. I'm going to have to check out that challenge!

Cherdecor said...

I loved looking out the window at your snow. Will all of you have to shovel out today or are you going to wait until Groundhog's Day which is Feb. 2?

That puzzle reminded me. . . my neighbor asked me if I did puzzles. She has some puzzles she wants pieced together then she wants to frame them for the wall for her son. I think they might be puzzles of places he has been. I turned her down. They look too overwhelming to me. I suggested we have a neighborhood puzzle party!

I liked all the interesting things you did yesterday. What will happen today?

AlaneM said...

That snow is beautiful!! I don't like cold much but I sure love the snow. I live in E WA & we've had some big storms this week :)
I wish I could come & help with that puzzle! All my kids are little so it will be a few years before I can do grownup puzzles without having the pieces flung far & near.
Have a wonderful day!
Alane

Sandra said...

I LOVE that photo Mari, I'm missing the snow something terrible.

All the things you guys did for fun was just so sweet, I love puzzles and I love soup LOL

Have a wonderful WARM day,
Hugs,
Sandra

Cherdecor said...

I forgot to say that I love that goofy picture of Heather and her dad.Please post more, more, more!

Dena said...

Soup looks YUMMY! that is a lot of snow dude! fun pictures! love no school days though!

Anonymous said...

Well your silly things worked!! That picture of Bob, and Heather CRACKED ME UP!!!! how funny:)

Nise' said...

It certainly has been crazy weather around here! More snow on the way... This looks like so much fun. I may have to check it out next week while my husband is away golfing with his buddies.

sharon brobst said...

This was such a fun post-thanks Mari!

Love the snow...we keep hoping for a good one before winter's done.

Anonymous said...

Wow, look at that snow!!!!!!!! I wish I could walk around in it. Then I'd like to come home and be warm again. :)

Rebekah said...

You can send some of you snow my way. We haven't had a good snow at all this winter. It always stays too warm on the days the moisture is in the air.

Great silly faces. Chuck and I do a 1000 pc jigsaw every winter. I started ours a few weeks ago but haven't got it done. I was going to post a picture of it but have been too consumed with the flu this week

Renee said...

It has definitely been an adjustment...getting used to Michigan winters again. I forget how the cold goes right to your bones.

But it's gorgeous, isn't it? So pure and white, and beautiful.

How fun!! What a great way to spend a snow day! I liked the funny faces, and I love puzzles!