Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

What a week

It's been a crazy week for me. Things have been tough at work. We have had about 5 new admissions, which is a lot in a short time. An admission means a lot of work. You wouldn't believe the amount of paperwork required just to get someone admitted and more is required over the next few days. It's also hard because it doesn't give me a chance to get to know the person very well before another someone else comes. Worse than admissions though, is that some of our old friends not doing well. One of my favorite men has been declining over the last few months and will probably not live much longer. This resident is well loved by all the staff and they are all having a hard time. Then when I came in on Thursday I was told that another resident had a stroke the night before. She was someone who loved to talk to us and would always ask me how she could pray for me. She still knew me when I saw her, but could hardly talk. Her condition has declined since then and it doesn't look like she will live long either. I have this weekend off, so I went to see them both before I left. The woman who had the stroke held my hand and was able to get out a few words, which were "I'll see you in Heaven". As you can imagine, that about did me in. I then went to see my other friend and said good bye to him and his daughter, wondering if this would be my last good bye to him. I left work with red eyes and a lump in my throat. They have both lived good, long lives and are ready to go. I also know where they both will be going and I will see them there, but it sure is hard to say good bye here.

~~~

I did have a nice thing happen today. I was given an award! Karen, from Karen's Ramblings gave me the "Spread the Love" award. I think Karen gets more awards than anyone! Of course, she deserves them, so I am honored that she passed this to me.

Here is what the maker of this award says:
"I have met so many lovely and very talented ladies here in Blogdom, what more can I do or say to express my humbled heart to each, than to give all my dearest readers and friends a special award filled with love. So, spread the love dear ones, spread the love to those you love."
Thanks so much Karen! I am going to pass this to everyone on my blog roll. If I didn't love your blogs, you wouldn't be listed!

post signature


20 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Mari, I'm almost afraid to go to work tomorrow. I hate to think of loosing those precious souls...
Congrats on the award tho...

Terri said...

You didn't tell me about your horrible day today. Sorry. I bet it was hard to say goodbye. You know you'll see them again but it's still painful now.

Bonnie said...

I think you are amazing ! It takes a special sort of person to continue doing the sort of work you do ! And you, are special ! Well done, Mari. I am sure those people really appreciate all you do for them. And more so, I think they appreciate the relationship you have with them. I hope the sadness doesn't weigh too heavy on you this week. ~Bon

Anonymous said...

Oh Mari, I would of lost it when she said that, I am sorry. You will see her again!! Congrats on the award:)

Perri said...

What mixed emotions your job must bring. I'm glad your patient has the assurance of heaven to comfort her.

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Oh Mari, I'm so sorry you've had such a hard time lately. This post just filled my eyes with tears. They are so blessed to have you in their lives...you are such a loving person and care so much. I would want someone like you by my side in my final days. I know the Lord is looking down on you and saying, "Job well done good and faithful servant...job well done."

~melody~

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having such a hard week. I can't imagine doing your job BUT I know that God has blessed you there and has used you as a blessing to others. Don't lose sight of what God is doing at your work. :)

Congratulations on the award! That was a nice blessing in the midst of a difficult week.

Isn't God's love worth sharing? Keep spreading the love Mari! You are so full of it! (love, that is.) ha.ha---hope that aroused a chuckle from you. :)

Rebekah said...

I don't know how you do it. The Lord made a special person when he created you.
You definitely deserve the award

Cherdecor said...

You are such a special person and I am getting glimpses of just how special you are through posts like this one.

I think back over your days at the nursing home and I hear you making up little ditties and singing them to your patients just to brighten up their day. You serve them with such a cheerful heart. You are so involved in helping them deal with their emotions of old age. You are like medicine to their hearts!

Thank you, Mari, for being so kind to them. YOU CERTAINLY ARE WELL DESERVING OF THIS AWARD, but the Lord will give you an even better award. One that will not fade away into blogland.

I will be praying for you this weekend and in the days to come, because when you get attached to these people, and they pass on to eternity, it is a great loss!

A Stone Gatherer said...

How hard that must be, but yet how great knowing where they are going! I give you women alot of credit who work with people who may not be with us very long. So hard saying goodbye. Consider yourself hugged right now!

A Stone Gatherer said...

P.S. Thanks for the award! Your great!!!

Diane said...

I also give all of you people a lot of credit for the work you do. God is clearly showing His love through you to these people and to all of us (either blogdom or in person). You are an outstanding woman and I am truly blessed to know you! Keep up the awesome work you do - wherever you are doing it. On the last day my Mom was able to communicate, she wouldn't say good-bye to me - later I took this to heart that we really never say good-bye, it's only 'til we meet again!

I know exactly how much paperwork goes into admitting someone into a nursing home - my Dad had to be admitted for the last month or two of his life. I was his medical power of attorney so I had to sign all the paperwork. I thought I was buying a house!!

Congrats on the award! Couldn't think of a better person to receive it! Thanks also for passing it on to us! :)

Pat said...

You are a most special person. It would not be unusual to file emotions away so a job like yours wouldn't be so hard, but you've chosen the higher road. You give yourself feely to love...and be loved. Your rewards will be great, just as your dedication and love has been great to those you care for. You certainly deserve this award!

Zaankali said...

Tears. I think what you do is so wonderful but I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions it can bring on.
Thank you for being you!
Smiles!

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is how to do an award right, girlfriend! Share the love!

I know exactly what you mean about new admissions. My mom tells me about that at the hospital, and I'm sure it's similar for you. More is NOT merrier.

You and my mom sound a lot alike. It's hard to be a nurse in so many ways. It definitely takes a very special person.

Time to take a load off and rest awhile - refuel with your family. I hope you get the time to do that soon.

BTW, my grandmother is in a retirement home where she has to receive a lot of care. I cannot tell you what a BLESSING it is to my parents to know that she is well looked after! They visit frequently, but they both work, so it is so good to know she is cared about as well as cared for. So, never doubt that you are being a blessing to many people each week -not only to your patients, but all their family members.

And to us! :)

Jen

Dena said...

MARI! Poor thing - that would tear my heart out! what a way to end a crazy week!

Good job on the award - keep us posted on the patients!

Cheri said...

That would have done me in for sure- I still say you have one of the most difficult jobs. It takes a special person to be able to do what you do. You're a huge blessing to your residents and their families!

Sandra said...

Oh Mari, you know you're such an amazing woman. I wouldn't be able to do the job you do, I get way too attached and emotionally involved.

Congrats on the awards, you deserve them :)

Megan Cobb said...

I think you know already how I feel about your work and the people lucky enough to be in your care. When I read your posts about the nursing home, I always think of how God must really fill you Himself - He must constantly renew you and pour His strength and love into you DAILY so you can then pour it out on others. AND - in these days of doubt and fear and yes, I'll admit it, DREAD I'm experiencing about being a mother of two, I feel inspired to look to God, as He will do the same for me, I must TRUST that he will! So that I can be a GREAT, loving, giving mother to my kids.

I hope that makes sense.

Laura said...

Oh Mom. I'm so sorry that you have to say goodbye to the people you love - that's hard. But it's so nice for them that they've had you wonderful nurses to be friends with them during their last few years.