Last week, Bob and I went on a short trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We went to Munising, home of Pictured Rocks. We live near Holland Michigan, which is near Lake Michigan in the Lower Peninsula. It's close to a 6 hour drive to get up to Munising.
We stopped at a few places along the way to break up the drive. This was a spot that had a place to hike to a scenic view. It was a steep hill to climb, but we were rewarded with a big view when we got to this part.
After about 4 hours we made it to the Mackinac Bridge. It's a beautiful, 5 mile long bridge that connects upper and lower Michigan. I'm not great with heights so I'm never thrilled about going across it, but I survive! :)
Here's a view after we crossed, looking back at the bridge.
We got to our hotel about 3:30 and were thrilled to find we had a walk out room with this view of Lake Superior.
We had supper and then made our way to a boat launch where we were scheduled for a sunset cruise of Pictured Rocks.
Before we boarded, they warned us that the waves were 2-5 feet and some people had been sea sick on the last cruise. Yikes! We boarded and hoped that wouldn't be us...
Soon we were seeing sights like this.
The crashing waves carve such interesting shapes and caves into the sandstone cliffs.
This one is called Indian Head Rock. Can you see it?
We were cold out there! I had a shirt, and hooded sweatshirt and a coat on and was still cold. The wind was really blowing.
The formations are beautiful and so are the colors on the rocks, which come from minerals in the sandstone and in the water that runs down over it.
It's hard to see but there's a tree growing on that stone pillar, and it has a root on the left side, reaching over to the other stone cliff side.
This is Spray Falls.
It's incredible how some of these trees grow.
The sun had set by the time we got back to shore. We didn't get sick, although we know at least one person did.It was a beautiful first day away!
22 comments:
Dear Mari, what beautiful photos! I am so glad you got some time to enjoy this lovely experience! And I am happy that you didn't get sick! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend.
Hi Mari, it looks like you guys had a great time, and I love all the pictures! I did not see the Indian head. I saw a lion laying down. Maybe because I will be talking about the Lion, from the tribe of Judah at my next Bible journaling meet up. I have been on the Coronado bridge in San Diego, but I don't think it is as long. Have a great week!
What an AMAZING place! The bridge is so beautiful. And LONG!! The archway holes in the rocks are natural? They look like they were made purposely, they are so perfectly shaped. The colors of the rocks are gorgeous. And I DO see the head!!
What a lovely trip and fantastic views and photos! We have a very high, long bridge here and I always feel nervous going over it. The boat cruise sounds brilliant and how cool to see the sun setting.
What a marvelous getaway you both enjoyed, Mari! I loved all your photos of the scenery and your boat ride. So scenic!
I hate going over the mighty Mac. As kids we always sang Lions, tigers and bears once we saw the spires from I75. I think it eased our nerves. Going over on a bus is even scarier for me. But like you I survived. Pictured rocks are beautiful. Our state has so much beauty in it. Janice
I am enjoying all of these trips y'all are taking...I know seeing them in person is stunning, but I am sure taking in all of the beauty in your photos. Places I most likely will never see. So, thank you Mari for sharing all of the beautiful scenery. Grateful that y'all were able to enjoy without being sea sick...
I've been looking forward to seeing pictures and they did not disappoint
God's creation is beautiful regardless of how it is presented and this area is not an exception. Just gorgeous. Love the picture of you and Bob.
I remember some of this as a child, visiting cousins in Michigan but haven't been back since. Just gorgeous. Now that's my kind of getaway!
I love all of the photos; it's a stunning area. My brother has been going up to the UP for 3-4 weeks every January for years, but I've never seen photos during the summer only the winter.
What a beautiful boat and car ride.
So nice to get away now and then.
Cathy
Oh Mari, what a magical first day. I am loving seeing all of your photos. I have never been to your state and am loving seeing all the beauty there.
You do look a wee bit chilly on the cruise but I'm glad you didn't get sick and could see the amazing rock formations.
I think the title for the pictures of the trees hanging on the rocks could be titled "Persistence".
Isn't it amazing how they can grow where it looks like they shouldn't be able to do it?
Looking forward to the rest of your special trip.
Sue
Oh my goodness what a small world it is? My Mom called the other day, my cousin and his wife who currently live in Bristol TN had recently told her that they were moving up north. His wife is originally from Chicago and her family are still there, so they wanted to move closer to them, and of all places she said they were moving to Hollard Michigan! I had never heard of it before, but when I googled it, it seemes stunningly beautiful, and from seeing your photos, I can see why they are considering moving North! how funny, I'm not sure they will make the move, but I was surprsied when I went to catch back up on blogs I love to follow and that's what you said today!
Oh wow, that is so beautiful. I'm so glad you didn't get sick. I'm afraid I might have, so thanks for the warning. If we ever go there, I'll be sure to take some bonine, which is the non-drowsy version of dramamine. I am very prone to motion sickness, and I would hate to miss out on those beautiful rocks! That really was quite a sight to see! Thank you for sharing it with us. I would LOVE to visit the UP sometime.
What a gorgeous getaway! I'm so glad you didn't get sick on the cruise. I think pictured rocks is one of the prettiest areas around. And I love Mackinac bridge and Mackinac Island. I want to take Matt there some day soon! Maybe next Spring or summer. Such a gorgeous area where we live - don't you think, neighbor? 😉 Blessings on your week ahead. xo
A wonderful trip! Sorry it was chilly and the waves a little rough, but what beautiful scenery! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Well worth the long drive to get there.
I enjoyed seeing your photographs, and it certainly looks a beautiful first day away.
All the best Jan
Oh my, Mari!!! Those photos are amazing!! That tree growing on the stone pillar with the root reaching over to land is mind blowing!! Wow! Thanks for sharing such beauty with us!! xo
Looks like a wonderful place. The pictures are gorgeous and what a fantastic view from you room. Yes, I did see the Indian head.
Wow, these are some beautiful views! I'm glad it was a pretty smooth ride.
What a beautiful place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I would love to see this in person. Thank you for sharing!!! You had a great view.
These are beautiful Pictures. Glad you didn't get sick. That would sure ruin your night. Oh my goodness, that 5-mile bridge! Neither do I like heights or bridges or being over water...reminds me of my trips to Virginia to visit my daughter and crossing that long, long bridge.
Post a Comment