Pages

Monday, January 9, 2023

Organizing

One thing I often do after Christmas is to clean out cupboards and cabinets.  It's something I really enjoy and it seems a good time to do it when you are changing things out after Christmas.  This year I've decided to really try to downsize while doing that cleaning, so as I've cleaned things out, I've gathered things to be donated to the local charity store. It can be hard to get rid of things, because "maybe I'll need them later!"  But this time, I'm being firm with myself and if I haven't used it in the last year, it's going out the door. 
I've brought several boxes away already and it feels good!


Here's my clean pantry



a clean junk drawer, 




and a clean towel and hot pad drawer.


I've actually got the whole kitchen, pantry, refrigerator and freezer done, and those clean cabinets make me happy when I open them.


Something I like to use are these clear bins.  I get them from a local store, but they are also available through Amazon.  Here's some to check out if you are interested.  They work well in the frig for things like butter, cream cheese, yogurt...   I have some in the pantry to hold things like seasoning packets, chocolate chips, soup mixes...  They come in a wide variety of sizes and I use smaller ones in the bathroom to hold things like band-aids, toothbrushes for the granddaughters, lotions.  It helps keep things a little neater.


Another tip I read about and have done, is to keep a box in the spare room.  Then, whenever you come across something you haven't been using, you put it in the box and when the box is full, you bring it to a donation site.


A friend gave me this tip.  Make up a sheet listing things you use often and have in multiples, then cross them off as you use them.  I did this for my pantry for things like cream soups, tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans...  It helps me not to buy things that I already have in the pantry.  I did a similar list for our freezer.  We purchase a quarter of a cow last Fall, and now I can keep track of what we have in there.

So, I have the kitchen done.  Next I'll be working on the bathroom, and plan to make my way through the house.  

What about you?  Is this something you like to do?  Or are you organized all the time and don't need to do this?

23 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your drawers and pantry all look so neat. And you echoed my exact thoughts when you said that seeing this makes you feel so good! I love doing this kind of thing, it helps when I am stressed. I use these bins in our fridge, I have three of them there. Two for different cheeses, and one for yogurts.

The Happy Whisk said...

I looooove the decluttering process. In 2016 we did a massive declutter and got rid of soooo much stuff. Heaven I say, heaven.

Loved seeing your clean-up spaces. The container in the fridge is neat too. I like that it's clear.

What's gonna be nice is when hubby and I move, since we have less stuff than we did, moving will be easy!

Cheers, Ivy.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, Mari, that looks great! You are an inspiration. I love those clear bins in your fridge. I am starting to really purge and organize things for our move. It is a big job, so I am starting now and doing a little at a time. I am paring down my clothing, as well as my books. Thanks for giving me a good example of neatness and organization! I love this. Have a good week. :-)

Joyful said...

You are so disciplined. Cleaning the fridge and kitchen cupboards is my least favorite job so I'm always behind on that.

A Joyful Cottage said...

I did a purge in November in preparation for Christmas. Went through my Christmas storage bin and donated things I no longer wanted to use. At the same time I sorted through my wardrobe and donated clothes I don't wear. Like you, if I haven't worn it or used it for a year, it goes out. I don't keep things forever like I used to; less sentimental about stuff. I don't know if that's a good thing, or not. I try to keep my life as simple as possible. Not always an easy thing to do. Seeing your fridge reminds me that I need to do a deep dive in there! Hugs and wishes for a wonderful new year, Mari. Nancy P.S. Your pantry and drawers look great!!

Hootin Anni said...

Let me be succinct...if I had a cleaned out junk drawer that clean, I'd call it a success!!!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Mari- It is good to have a tidy up and a bit of a throw out too...I find this activity is very good to refocus on interests- and do what is essential. Happy 2023. KEV.

Suemn said...

I'm jealous of your organization of the cupboards and drawers. You would not like to see my junk drawer:)

Terri D said...

My, oh my! Would you like to visit me here in Florida!? My pantry and two refrigerators are done but the cupboards are a mess. Good for you getting it done! The lists are a great idea. I do use the plastic bins in the fridge. Nice way to start the year!

Deb said...

I want to reduce, declutter, simplify the whole house. I've grown unattached to things I used to think were so dear to me, and don't mind if nearly everything goes now. Hubby, on the other hand, still clings to everything and does not mind clutter. Ugh. I keep trying to remind him about how long things have sat untouched, or things that are in closets that we haven't even looked at in 20 years...how neat and clean and easy everything would be to just get rid of it all.

On more practical and daily levels, I'm pretty good with not over shopping, with being aware of what's in the freezer and cupboards. I would like to get some bins and containers for the fridge now that we're really trying to buy more fresh fruits and veggies.

DUTA said...

Well done, Mary! Decluttering, downsizing make life so much better!

Debby said...

I did this just after Christmas - I rearranged where to put my dishes and where to put my oils, bottles of vinegar, and spices nearest to the stove. I love it. I've lived here for 15 years and just kept it the same way my Mom had it. IT didn't work for me. A well-organized kitchen makes for a happy cook!

I organized my pantry before Thanksgiving. In truth, I am always organizing and deep cleaning. It's what I enjoy doing.

I do need to work on my refrigerator. I did clean it and bought some dollar tree kitchen trays and they work - I just need more.

happyone said...

You're doing a great job. Everything looks neat and tidy.

Susan said...

Hi Mari, I like your organizational tips. I like to use clear containers too. I am still working on Christmas. Trying to sort things out too. My give away pile is growing! Enjoy your week.

Catherine said...

This is exactly what I do every beginning of year. At the moment I am organising my wardrobe, but I do each room. I went to get more boxes for what I saved from my mother’s flat and for myself I really feel happy when I have done the whole house!

Kim said...

LOVE the box idea. That's what we need. Right now everything ends up in bags...or worse, stored in a closet...and we lose track. This is genius!

Michelle said...

I like to think I am "fairly" organized. Although, things can get unorganized pretty quick! lol

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I like all your organization tips Mari! I took find January is a great time to take inventory and clean things out. It is hard to say no, but I like your idea of being firm with yourself! I have taken several bags to our local thrift store that gives away more than it sells to families in need. It felt good! I also am trying to clean out my freezer of things I've bought that need to be used up before they go bad. So I am "freezer" cooking the past couple of weeks, and not buying anything new for storage in the freezer. That feels good too! It always feels great to get things organized, your see-through drawers are a great idea too! Blessings to you :)

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Such great tips! I use some of those bins in my fridge too. I've been looking at organizers for my bathroom and under my kitchen island too. January is always such a good month to make a fresh start in these ways.

Jeanette said...

Looks like you are getting a lot of organizing done! Your junk drawer looks 10 times better than mine does on its best day! I use a lot of those kind of boxes in my pantry! It really helps!

Jean said...

Good for you!!!! I don't have a pantry in this house, so I need to make good use of the cupboards and drawers.

Great tips!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Everything looks so neat and organized.
Good job.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Bravo and again I will say, you are one of the most industrious women on planet earth. You could and SHOULD write a book on organized domesticity! It's awesome. I do not get the urge to do this on the same level as you, but I love being organized and I need to get better at pitching stuff out. I'm not a hoarder and probably don't even rise to the level of a packrat but I will defer making these kinds of decisions for years, haaaahaha xoxo