Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

Tip for Tuesday

A few weeks ago I mentioned that in doing some food prep, I had cooked up some ground beef and chicken and frozen it.  Several of you e-mailed me to ask what I do with it, so I thought I would share it with you here.

Whenever I need ground beef, or if it's on sale, I buy it in a large package. I often buy at least 4 pounds.  I brown it in a saucepan, using my Pampered Chef Mix and Chop.  If you don't have on of these, I highly recommend it!  It helps chop the ground beef up finely and mixes while it does so.  I wouldn't be without it, and have given it as a gift to several who have also enjoyed it.



Once the meat is cooked, I put it in a colander and drain the grease.  I then rinse it with hot water, and put it in freezer bags, usually one pound per bag.
When you need it, it's very easy to throw a meal together because the beef is cooked.  It also saves time because you cook it all at once, and you only have to clean up the mess once.


I do something similar with chicken.  I buy a bulk package of chicken breasts or thighs and cook them all at once.  I then shred it and put it in freezer bags.
It's very handy to have both of these items ready to go in the freezer.

14 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have done the same thing. Great tip! Wow - I want one of those mix and chops. Will have to order one next time I get invited to a Pampered Chef party.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Smart idea and so nice to have ready when you want or need it.

Beth Cotell said...

The Pampered Chef Mix and Chop is probably one of my favorite kitchen tools. I often wonder how I cooked ground beef before I had one!

Arlene G said...

As busy as you are, I am sure having some things ready to cook really helps out.

Sandra said...

Don't you just love food prep? I find it helps so much. I have so many Pampered Chef things in my kitchen, but I don't have that one, I need to get one for sure :)

Jennifer Hays said...

Great tips, Mari. I do this sometimes too. I also like to freeze raw chicken pieces (like legs) separately, so I can pull out one or two when I have fewer people eating at mealtimes, like just the kids or one kid and me, etc.

Jenny said...

Awesome idea. I have never heard of that PC tool but I love their products and I need one of those. Just ordered it on Amazon. Thanks, Mari! xoxo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So smart and I really should get in the habit of doing it. What a great time saver!!
Have a blessed week ahead. xoxo

Terri D said...

Pampered Chef products are all great! I need to find one of those Mix & Chop tools!! What a great idea to cook the ground beef ahead and freeze it. I buy in bulk and just freeze it by the pound, then I have to thaw it out before I can cook it. Duh... next time! I buy canned chicken breast at Sam's and use that for soups and chicken salad. Makes sense to cook the breasts too, though! Thanks Mari!

Linda said...

I do this as well...I thought I was the only one who did, smiles.

Dianna said...

Thank you for sharing about the Pampered Chef mix N chop. I went online and found it in their catalog. I'm guessing I can order directly from them? I don't know of anyone in our area who does the parties.

It really is handy to do things like this with the ground beef and chicken. It can be a real lifesaver. I've also done that with dry black beans if I am going to be using them in several meals. I do the quick soak for the beans and then cook them. Once they've cooked I rinse and drain and then freeze.

Hope you are having a good week!

Mary said...

I too rinse my cooked ground beef with hot water. I started doing this because I was just noticing that the cooked meat was still holding on to so much grease. A few friends who thought it was odd to rinse it admitted that they actually preferred it after rinsing it. Thank you so much for mentioning this, Mari.

Hootin Anni said...

Great idea...must admit, I used to do this when our kids were home & I worked outside the home. Now, my time saver is cook a large meal...use a portion...freeze leftovers. Kinda the same concept.

Cherdecor said...

I have always rinsed my meat too because I cannot digest grease. When I freeze meat, I freeze it in a can of broth.