Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Colorado River Raft trip

We had river raft trip planned for one of our days.  This was on the Colorado River and was a 4 hour float.  It didn't start until 12:30 so we started our day by stopping at a little museum in the town we were staying in.  Kanob, Utah bills itself as 'Little Hollywood' because there have been so many movies and tv shows, especially westerns, that were filmed there.  All along the shopping area are little plaques with photos of actors who had been there.  Some familiar names were Tony Curtis, Ronald Reagan, Don Knotts, Omar Shariff, Charlton Heston.  Some of the shows done in the area were Daniel Boone, The Lone Ranger, Bonanza.  The museum was just small and didn't have a lot that we knew, but it was fun to see.

This was one of the sets, from a movie Bob enjoyed.


Then it was on to Page, Utah for the river float.

We stopped along the way to see Lake Powell.  It's a beautiful lake, surrounded by cliffs, with the prettiest blue color!


Then it was time to get on the raft!  This was not a white water rafting trip, but a calm raft ride.  We got on the rafts just down from the Glen Canyon Dam.


The day we did this was 9/11 and the dam was lined with flags to commemorate that day.


Here we are, starting out, with this great view of the dam.



Here's another raft, to show you what we were on.
It was another hot day, 95 degrees when we got on the river.  Down in the canyon it's 10 degrees warmer, so it was very uncomfortable!  We were reminded frequently to keep drinking, and the guide had a bucket of cold water on the raft that we could use to dip bandana's our hats in.  I never wear a hat because I think I look terrible in them, however, I had taken one along to protect myself from the sun.  When they first mentioned the wet hat idea, Cheri and I both said no way would we do that.  However, it didn't take long for modesty to die and our hats to be soaked, along with our hair.  This was repeated several times, along with everyone else on the raft.



 The canyon walls were lined with many different colors of rock, along with markings from water running down it.




The views were amazing, with changes around every bend.









We saw a few people fishing along the way.


At one point, we pulled up on the shore and took a short walk to a canyon where there were Indian Petroglyphs on the wall.  Our guide was a Navaho Indian who was very interesting to listen to.  She said these markings were to show things that could be hunted here and where to find them.








A highlight of the trip was seeing these wild horses!



When the trip was done, we had a 45 minute bus ride back to where we started.  We rode through a section of the Navaho Reservation, which is huge.  It's in parts of 4 states.  I liked this little church that we saw while driving through it.

That was it for the day.  Cheri and I had to do some major work on our hair before we could be seen in public, but it was so worth it!

15 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

That was an awesome trip on the Colorado and the sights were beautiful. So glad you got to do that as part of your trip. I can only imagine what my hair would have looked like!!! Hope Friday is a good day for you and upcoming weekend as well.

Kerin said...

More beautiful scenery.
Seeing our state through your eyes and experiences gives me a renewed appreciation for all the beauty around us :)

Kanab is a fun town!
As I was reading about your river guide, I was wondering just who your guide was. We have a dear friend that is a river guide along with his wife, however, neither one of them are Navajo Indians.

Sunstroke and sunburn can sneak up on one as they river run! Our eldest son ended up with second-degree burns on the backs of his hands from his last river run down the Colorado River. You were smart to do what you did to keep cool!

Have a great weekend.
~K.

Arlene G said...

Another fun day for yall! So glad you are recharging your batteries in that beautiful part of the USA.

Changes in the wind said...

Yes it is amazing what that heat can do like losing all modesty for a little reprieve:)Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.

Sally said...

Wow - Mari, such a fantastic day y'all had. So much beautiful scenery. Amazing, really. So glad you're sharing with us!

xoxo

Connie said...

I am so happy for you. This trip is going to give you a lifetime of wonderful memories. I have been enjoying tagging along and viewing your amazing photos.
Safe journey.
Connie :)

Terri D said...

When you said a river raft trip, the first thing I thought of was white water and I wondered if you were crazy!! LOL Now I understand! What a beautiful ride. I did marvel at the fact that your river ride was four hours, but the trip back only took 45 minutes! Interesting. Thanks again for taking us along on this beautiful adventure!

Stephanie said...

Wow....I am speechless, dear Mari. Your photos are truly amazing and they tell of a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing with us.

Happy weekend! Hugs!

Phoebes World said...

The US certainly as the most amazing scenery!. What a wonderful trip
Thank you for sharing x

Joyful said...

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. It looks like fantastic weather and the raft ride sounds like my kind of fun.

Hootin Anni said...

What a thrilling day!!! I've never been on a river raft, that would be so exciting. Of course, like your trip, I wouldn't want 'white water rafting' at all.

I've really enjoyed you taking us along on your vacation Mari.

Jenny said...

Oh dear. Anything that involves soaking my hair under a wet hat while baking to a crisp under a 105-degree sun is not for me. But I'm glad you had the experience so that I can skip it. That said, I can testify that while we were in Chicago, it was so hot that my hair was wringing wet underneath. My vanity probably would have allowed for a cool-water-drenched hat at one point or another. Next time, we're going in April. Haahaa xoxo

Laura said...

That sounds so fun! I don't know about the heat though, I'm a wimp about the heat. So cool to see wild horses!

Cherdecor said...

You took the best tour. When we were there Alan had us take the tour that took us inside the dam. The men liked that. It showed all the systems that were working inside the dam. I kinda just wanted to get out of there. :)

Jean said...

I SO relate to your first reaction to the idea of a hat, a WET hat no less!! I never wear hats because they ruin my hair! But that extremely hot day in June when we were at Busch Gardens in Tampa I WANTED to get wet and I bought a hat and wore it the rest of the day! For me, vanity had to die, hahahahaha!

What a ride! I notice that the people in that raft don't have life vests on. Were there some in the raft? I can't swim, so I would be terrified to be out there without one.