Sunday, February 4, 2018

A Day in my life

February!  I'm thankful to be a little closer to Spring, another month of winter done - more sunshine and warmer temperatures are one month closer!

Here's what I did on the first day of the month.

February one fell on a Thursday which is always my longest day at work.  It's the day our Dr comes in and makes rounds.  He leaves sometime after 4, and it always takes a while to input orders, print med and treatment sheets and notify families of changes.  On this day, he was on vacation so I had hopes of leaving on time, but that didn't happen as another Dr came in to assist and didn't get there until 3pm...   Because I was at work, I don't have many pictures, but here is how the day went.

Leaving for work at 7:35.  It had been a little warmer, and we even had some rain so a lot of our snow melted.

 Here is the hall to my office shortly before 8am.  It was still quiet.  Later in the morning it gets busy with people coming and going to PT, plus the beauty shop is a busy place on Thursday.

This is the condition I found my desk in.  I had the day before off, so there were notes taped to my phone, my computer and laid on the desk.  Job security, right?   :)

There is a daily meeting at 9 for the management team, which I always think takes too long.  It usually lasts until 10 and we go over admissions, discharges, any issues our residents or families are having, and then review the nurses notes for the last 24 hours so we are aware of how everyone is doing.  It's important, but I am not a fan of meetings!

After that I gathered charts for the Dr, printed off recent vital signs and blood sugar reports for the diabetics, got all the labs that have been drawn that needed to be reviewed... and put them all together for him.

I have also been working on annual competency reviews for our nurses and nurse aids, so I did some of that.  I worked on entering lab requisitions for the February lab draws as well.

Here is the Dr's desk with some admission charts, and folders from different departments that have papers that need to be signed.

He came at 3 and stayed until 6.
I finished my part of it and left at 6:20pm.

 Here's that same hall I showed you at 8am.  Now it is dark and was closed when I left.

Here's our time clock - we punch in and out by using our hand which is recognized by the computer in it.

We have friends whose Mother passed away last week at the age of 91.  Bob was working late and unable to go to visitation, which was only happening that day.  I picked up another friend and we drove to the funeral home.  We got there about 7:15 and were able to spend a short time with our friends.

After coming back to our town and dropping my friend off, I stopped at Jimmy Johns and picked up a sub for Bob and I for supper.

While driving home, it had been snowing quite hard, and it was cold - only 9 degrees!  After picking up the subs, it quit snowing and the sky got clear, allowing me to see the moon which was just gorgeous!  This isn't a great photo but the moon was huge and kind of red.  I pulled into a parking lot to get this shot before returning home.

When I got home, I started up my Instant Pot, which I am greatly enjoying!  I used it to get some eggs boiled so I would have them ready for breakfast or lunches in the next several days.

Bob got home from work about 8:20.  We had our subs for a late supper, and then relaxed for the rest of the evening.

It was a busy day, and a long one - but a good one!


Arlene @Nanaland said...

You stay so busy Mari...I admire you.

Joyful said...

You did have a very busy day but you got a lot done. Getting a lot done is always something to feel good about. So glad you are enjoying your instant pot. I don't use mine for boiling eggs or making porridge. I use it more for one dish dinners but good on you for making good use of it. I like the pot too.

Linda said...

Your days sound like mine! The happenings and work days of nurses!
After a long hiatus, I'm gonna give blogging another try...I've missed it so!

Linda said...

I am.ready.for.spring. There, I said it. I guess being out it in, just has done me in...sigh.

I hope you have a beautiful week ahead, smiles.

Doris said...

Wow, that was a busy day! I love Jimmy John's....lettuce wrapped sub because I can't eat the roll =)

Changes in the wind said...

I am fascinated by the time clock!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I dont know how you do all you do at work.....guess it makes the time pass fast. We have Jimmy John's, but for some reason, we have never eaten there. More and more I am wanting an instant pot. Everyone seems to really like it and use it a lot. The moon was beautiful for sure. Hope your new week goes well.

Betsy Brock said...

My, that was a full day!

Your moon pictures is WONDERFUL! I didn't see any lovely orange one like disappointing! Love it.

I've heard good things about those instapots!

Karen said...

That was a full day for you. I missed seeing the red moon, just forgot all about it:(

Terri D said...

That was sure a busy day for you! We have Jimmy Johns here in Lakeland and order from there now and then. I had subs from there more often when I was working and love that they deliver. I still haven't gotten my InstantPot out again after my first failure. I just need to read the directions again and start working with it. That moon shot you got is amazing! Have a good week Mari!

Mary said...

Mari, that sounds like a long day. I am glad you decided to pick up dinner. At least that gave you a bit of a break. I'm glad your Instant Pot saved you more time. I really need to boil up some eggs. We love them in egg salad or deviled. I sometimes slice them and eat them on toast with a bit of pepper.

Drop over to the Writing Nook if you get a chance. Hope to see you there.

Jenny said...

Girl! You amaze me with all that you accomplish. Your facility looks SO gorgeous now that the remodel is done. But I still wish you had to spend less time there! TG loves a Jimmy John sub and occasionally gets one for his supper if he knows I'm all out of ideas for supper. And now I really do think I'm going to have to get on that Instant Pot bandwagon. xoxo