Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

A day in my life

Today was the first day of the month, so it's time to share my day with you again.  Because I worked Christmas day, I had today off.  Bob also had the day off so that was nice.  We stayed up to watch the ball drop last night, so we slept in this morning.  We decided to have bacon and eggs for breakfast, which is something that happens rarely here.  After I cooked the bacon I was reminded of why I don't like to cook bacon.  It smells great, but then the whole house smells like that!


I started up this homemade potpourri on the stove - oranges, cranberries, cinnamon sticks and cloves.  It didn't take long and the house was smelling better.


Then I started some laundry.  I had 3 loads to do today!



I drove to my Dads house to get his pills set up. He takes quite a few at different times and it can be confusing, so I set them up for 2 weeks at a time.  He lives about 20 minutes from me and it's always good to see him.  Today he and my stepmom were at her kids house for New Years so it was a quiet stop.


I stopped to get groceries on my way home.  As you can see, it's snowing here.  It's also very cold!


I sorted out my boxes and Christmas bags to put away.


And I packed away the last of the Christmas decorations.


Along with packing up Christmas decorations, it was also time to clean out the fridge and get rid of the last of the Christmas goodies.  I also cleaned out my pantry.



Finally, I changed out this piece I always have on my table.  Now it has a winter look instead of Christmas.
After that we had supper and relaxed.
It was a good day - lots accomplished and a quiet evening.  Tomorrow I'm back to work.

23 comments:

Terri said...

see you at work - i'll be there in the AM!

Unknown said...

You sure did get a lot done...I am tired just reading all you did. I know it feels good tho,to be back to 'normal' again.

Betsy Brock said...

A very nice day! I need to take Christmas down around here...hopefully tomorrow!

Jean said...

I'm always amazed at what you get done in a day. But maybe if I ever wrote down everything I do in a day, I'd be amazed as well, haha!

Sally said...

I took the decorations down here at the house, and at the park (Ben's tree). But, you did much more than I did. LOL

xoxo

Sandi said...

3 loads!

:)

I can't remember the last time I had only 3 loads to do.

That potpourri looks good!

Hootin Anni said...

You say today....'back to work'? Seems to me your day off was filled with lots of in home work!! Wow.

Terri D said...

Back to work to rest up!! That was a very busy day off, Mari! It does feel good to get all of that done, though.

We will take the decorations down this weekend. I have already gotten rid of Christmas leftovers, but now we have New Year's Day dinner left overs. Little by little, it will get done at our house!

Happy New Year!

Bethany Carson said...

Looks like a profitable day off! Have a great year!

Linda said...

Funny, I did the same things, lolol. (well..expection getting the pills around)--snowing here as well. Blessings

Sola Scriptura said...

You sure are a busy lady. I can just imagine how wonderful your potpourri smells!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Wow I'm impressed Lady! You were MUCH more productive than I on January 1(you can call me "Miss PJ's for the day")Lol

Hope you take some time to relax this weekend and enjoy more pj's time yourself. ;)
xoxo

Brooke said...

putting away decorations is my least favorite part of the holiday season!!

Stephanie said...

You always keep busy, don't you, dear Mari? :) The potpourri you made looks wonderful and I bet it smells amazing.

Have a lovely weekend. Hugs!

Jenny said...

Wow you got a lot done, Mari. All I did was cook and have company all day! But we had a great day too. The Christmas decorations are down but not organized and put away yet. I love Christmas decorations but not after Christmas! I also love bacon but not the smell it leaves in the house, which is why we too rarely enjoy it. Your stovetop potpourri was a brilliant idea. Stay toasty warm! xoxo

Nancy said...

You sure did get a lot done but doesn't it feel good to look back and know you got so much done in one day...I really like your idea of cooking up some potpourri after cooking bacon...

Amy at love made my home said...

It looks like a great day! We are taking down decorations again today and then the tree will come down tomorrow and we will be all done. It is nice to spend some time and just sort and tidy and organise isn't it. I hope the rest of your days will be as pleasant as this one was! xx

Susan said...

Very productive day! Like your home made potpourri

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow you did have a very productive day! Good for you - you inspire me. I have been on a little holiday blog break but am back now! Have a wonderful 2015! See you again soon!

Cheri said...

This made me chuckle because we made bacon for Christmas morning and guess what I did after that- yup burned the potpourri for the very same reason!!

Maggie Ann said...

That is nice....you must be very organized. We got o ur decorations away right after Christmas.

Cherdecor said...

I always love your first day of the month post. It also makes me feel kinda guilty, but I love it!

It was rather warm the other evening so I went outside and took down all the Christmas lights and brought them inside to warm and dry so I can bag them up.

The next day I could hardly move. I had to rest all day. Arthritis always ruins my fun.

Laura said...

I cooked my potpourri the other day. I even left it on the stove and refilled it with water and used it the next day again. The only problem was it smelled so good I wanted to drink it, but decided it probably wouldn't taste as good!