Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cooking Thursday

Sandra at Diary of a SAHM is hosting Cooking Thursday again. Stop over and see what she's sharing today!
My recipe is something that I would never have eaten recently. It's called Sauerkraut Salad. I don't like sauerkraut, so when this was offered to me, I turned up my nose and took a tiny bit. And then surprise - I liked it!
You can eat this like a salad, it's a lot like cole slaw, but it's also good over hot dogs or brats.



Sauerkraut Salad

1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup vinegar
Mix together and allow to sit while getting other ingredients ready, to allow the sugar to dissolve.

1 qt sauerkraut, drained
1 small jar pimentos, drained
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
Stir together vegetables and pour sugar and oil mix over. Stir together and place in refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.

17 comments:

Terri said...

hmmmm, interesting. I would be willing to try it though.

Simone said...

I've never tried pimentos and although I like sauerkraut, I would try this only because you said it's good and I trust your word, my friend!!! Now, if you can only drive here to Oregon and deliver! ;)

Rebecca said...

This sounds VERY good to me :) I'll definitely try it. (I'm to take a salad to my mother's birthday dinner tonight. If I'd read it yesterday, I would have made it.

Any recommendation re. what kind of vinegar? White or apple cider?

Raise Them Up said...

Oh wow! That looks like it's packed with flavor! Do you serve it hot if you are putting it over hot dogs?

Jenny said...

HUZZAH!!! At lunch in Charleston last Sunday, we were discussing sauerkraut. I love it right out of the can or bag, but Audrey declared she did not like it. Then she admitted she'd never really given it a chance. I think this salad may be just the thing. I'm copying this recipe to make and also to share with her. Thanks, Mari!

Unknown said...

Isn't that funny when you try something you are sure you won't like and then you do? : )

Christina said...

I actually love sauerkraut so I am going to try this one. It looks beautiful.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

How very different! It sound marvelously delicious. Thanks for the recipe sweetie.

God bless and have a joyous day!!! :o)

Sharon said...

That does look good,but I am not real big fan of sauerkraut.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs

Hootin Anni said...

My mouth is watering. I swear, you pick some of the most delicious recipes, and your images always look so DDEEElicious. I'll take some of that with my braut---oh yes indeedy. YUM

Anonymous said...

Hi Mari, Well thank you, for such a unique recipe and one that I know we will love!

Unknown said...

oh I would like that all except for the pimentos, for some reason I don't like them...

Brenda said...

ok, I can't do sauerkraut!
But, I made the Stuffed Pepper Soup and it is delicious and definitely a addition to my recipe collection. Really good!

Sandra said...

Not a big fan of sauerkraut either but my hubby would love this one. :)

Kim said...

I like sauerkraut so I'll definitely have to try this! The dressing is exactly the same as for Three Bean Salad :)

Debbie said...

it looks so pretty, but i don't love to cook ;)))

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

This looks awesome~ I'll try it this summer over hot dogs