Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cooking Thursday

It's Thursday, so I have another recipe for you. Visit Sandra at Diary of a SAHM for more.
My recipe for today is a salad. I've made this several times when having friends for supper and it's always gone over well.



Sugar Toasted Almond Salad

1/2 cup sliced almonds
3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup red wine or cider vinegar
1/3 cup salad oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
3/4 tablespoon poppy seeds

1 head romaine lettuce, torn in small pieces
6 ounce bag, baby spinach leaves
1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
12 ounces cubed co-jack cheese
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

  1. Combine almonds and sugar in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir until sugar is melted over almonds, about 5 minutes. Spread almonds in a single layer on waxed paper to cool.
  2. To make the salad dressing, whisk together the vinegar, salad oil, sugar, mustard and poppy seeds; set aside.
  3. Toss together the romaine lettuce, spinach,tomatoes,cheese and bacon in a large bowl. Sprinkle almonds and drizzle dressing over top of salad and toss just before serving.

5 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

That sounds yummy Mari!

Linda said...

Now this is my kinda salad Mari! I'm a HUGH salad lover so I'll be giving this one a try. As a matter of fact, I'll try it at our next campout! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

How's Heather doing these days? She's still in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandra said...

Yum, I love salad and this one sounds really good. Thank you Mari ;)

Jean said...

Now I'm hungry, but it's time to go to bed!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Minus the bacon, this sounds right up my alley! YUM!