Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cold Tangerines


About a month ago Sarah, from Short Stop, posted about this book. She had just finished reading it and was asking her readers if they were interested in reading it and posting a review. The publisher agreed to send out 30 copies of this book and each of us that received a book is reviewing it today. I enjoyed reading this book. It is made up of 40 short stories, which makes it easy to read in small spurts of time. This book is about celebrating life. The author - Shauna Niequist, is able to see things in everyday life and points these things out to the reader in a way that makes you want to slow down and enjoy the life God has given you. The stories are each different - some are sad, some are joyful, they are all honest and are about things in life that allow the reader to relate to the author. She challenges us to live our day to day life in a celebratory way. She points out God at work, both in small things and in large things. She allows us to see that things that were very painful in her life and the lives of friends actually worked out to be a huge positive in their lives. Here are a few sentences from the book that will give you an idea what she is sharing in this book. "I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. I don't want to get to the end and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and dirty dishes....I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that He gave life to someone who loves the gift, who will use it up and wring it out and drag it around like a favorite sweater".
If you get a chance to read this book - I recommend it. If you want to see what some of the other reviewers had to say, visit Short Stop.

post signature

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good one to read, if you haven't loaned it out already I would like to borrow it from you.

Anonymous said...

Yes it does sound like an interesting book, Thanks for your review:)

Shelly said...

Sounds interesting. I do not read much unless it keeps my interests. I like to read out by the pool in the summer while I am laying out. Makes me think I am doing more than just laying there. LOL

sharon brobst said...

I love that quote!! Maybe I'll have to get the book for the summer!!

Anonymous said...

My book hasn't arrived yet. :(

Cherdecor said...

This sounds like a good book.

Short Stop said...

Mari...thank you for your review and for sharing your thoughts. I love that quote you referenced...it's one of my favorites! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing this review. I want to check it out now.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.