Pages

Monday, September 14, 2026

Toadstools, Mushrooms, Fungi everywhere!

We have had a very dry summer, but in the last few weeks we've had some really nice rain and since then, there are mushrooms popping up all over.  I've never seen anything like it, there are many varieties and new ones pop up every day.
I've always liked mushrooms and enjoy taking pictures of them. Hopefully the neighbors aren't watching me getting down on the ground taking these pictures.  :)   

So, I have a bunch of photos to share with you - some cute ones, some ugly ones and some weird ones!



Have you ever seen a curly mushroom like this?













Look under the leaves - there are three more back there - like a whole family!







 








I like these flat ones






This one looks like a lobster is trying to dig it's way out.  It's called a stinkhorn fungus.  It's not on the favorite list!




  




and this one is called Coral fungus - it really does look like coral.






























I think these are so cute!








Last but not least - these are the tiniest things, only about 1/2 inch tall.  I had to pull grass away to get the picture.

Can you believe how many types of mushrooms we have, just on our property?  It reminds me what a great Creator we have; so many varieties, sizes, colors...and that's just the mushrooms on one property!

20 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Mari, I love the shapes and patterns of these mushrooms 🍄 😍
The three small ones in your second to last picture look like umbrellas 🌂 for dolls. They are all beautiful.

Dianna said...

Wow...you do have a lot of mushrooms on your property, and I love all of the different kinds you have. Thanks for being willing to share the pictures with us. xx

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is totally amazing! So many different colors and designs!! I love them all. Well, maybe except the creepy Stinkhorn. All we have is the same kind of regular white capped ones.

Nicole Orriëns said...

That's a lot of toadstools and mushroom. I'm especially fascinated by the lobster looking one! We don't have those around here.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Kim Carberry said...

Mushrooms are fascinating to look at! These are fantastic photos. I love the little mushroom family one. hehehe The stinkhorn fungus is gross and the coral one really goes look like coral.

Jeanette said...

Interesting mushrooms. That third picture of the mushroom "family" is funny. Dad posing and mom checking on the kids!

Jenny the Pirate said...

This is completely fascinating to me, not least because I've never seen anything like the majority of these! That first one looks like the Sydney Opera House so next time you walk by make sure and say g'day mate, hahaa ... I love the frilly ones best. That orange one is truly horrifying, ugh!!!! Hahaa xoxo 🏴‍☠️

Chatty Crone said...

I am usually not a mushroom fan, but I have to say the curly one was kind of cute and different.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

I can’t decide which is more impressive—the amazing mushroom photos or the fact that you got down on the ground and managed to get back up again!

Terri D said...

There have been a bunch growing up here, too. Bright orange and teeny tiny. I don't know the difference between mushrooms and toadstools. Not going to be eating any!! You do have some interesting fungus growing!!

photowannabe said...

Wow, I just erased my whole comment
... how? I have no idea.
Love all of these amazing mushrooms. So many different types. Even the Ugly ones are so unique.
I think the 5th photo is one that should have a fairy perched on top of it. Its just perfect.
What a great Creator we have.
Sue

Martha Jane Orlando said...

These photos are fantastic, Mari! I do love the one with the little "family" following in Mom's footsteps. Yes, the variety is overwhelming!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh my goodness - thank you for your hard work getting down and capturing these! Lol I have a thing for mushrooms too because they seem like they come from a magical place and you know I always picture fairy folk. You really found some amazing varieties though.😍 I'm so grateful I'm not the only one that likes to get down in the grass to get the shot. 😂

Jean said...

These pictures are like something in National Geographic, Mari!!! But how I would love to watch you taking them, hahaha!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Mari your photographs are amazing.

Seeing their beauty I put a question into the search engine asking 'how many types of mushrooms there are'
Here is the answer I got back.
Scientists have formally described approximately 14,000 to 22,000 mushroom species so far, but research suggests there may be 2.2 to 6.28 million fungal species in total worldwide. Most mushrooms remain undiscovered, hidden in soils, forests, and ecosystems across the globe. This makes fungi the second most diverse kingdom of life after insects, yet we've barely scratched the surface of understanding them.
Isn't that amazing.

Keep on taking your lovely photographs, I always enjoy seeing them.

All the best Jan

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh wow! So many different mushrooms! They come from the decay of so many different kinds of woods and other fungi spores. It's so interesting to see how they develop! This was fun!! Thanks for sharing them with us. Just don't eat them, unless you know what you are doing!!!

Miss Merry said...

You do have all kinds of mushrooms! And your photos are just wonderful.

Kim said...

Mari, that is crazy that you have so many different kinds of mushrooms on your property. Your pictures are stunning, too. Do you use your phone or a camera? They're so sharp and clear!!

Lori said...

That is so cook that you have so many different kinds growing around you. We've had a very hot and very dry summer as well.