Pages

Monday, September 7, 2026

A Day in my life - September

It's September! I know a lot of you are rejoicing in that fact. I'm kind of sad as I hate to see Summer come to an end, but I'm trying to live in the moment and not think about the cold weather that's coming...

In the meantime, here's how I spent the first day of the month.



We have been in the middle of a heat wave here, with high humidity. This was what greeted me when I got up.  It was so hot and humid already that the slider was steamed up.




This it the view I saw across the street when I started my morning walk.





Walking down our street.






I saw this sign of Fall on the road.







I walked for a bit in the woods. It's hard to see but there is a trail there.




I got home and had breakfast, then did a little cleaning around the house. After that it was a day to run errands and I had a lot of them to do!




I went to Staples to do some Amazon returns. I made a Costco stop - that's never quick!  Gordon Food Service is a place that supplies a lot of facilities, hospitals and restaurants and I occasionally stop there for some things for the freezer. I stopped at the butcher to get some meat and then went to Meijer to get groceries.



Italian sausage was on sale, so I bought 5 pounds and when I got home, I browned and drained it and put it in freezer bags. Next time I need it for lasagna, spaghetti... it'll be easy to use.






I also had peppers to take care of. I cut up 10 peppers and put them into freezer bags.




At 5pm we were invited to be somewhere for supper.  Bob and his brother have been doing some work on a couple buildings for a lady in our town who lost her husband suddenly. She wanted to have us for supper to thank them.



The barn they've been working on; all that's left is to paint the doors.




This cute little shed had some repair work done too.




We had a yummy supper and then played some Dominos. This is Bob, his brother Tom, the homeowner Lori, and Toms wife Bonnie.




We had a really nice evening together. Here's what it looked like when we were leaving Lori's house.

And that's the beginning of September - another good day!

17 comments:

Miss Merry said...

What a feel-good post (except for the humidity). I bet you feel accomplished getting all those errands and shopping trips done. And good for you with sausage and peppers in the freezer. How wonderful of your husband and brother in-law to help with the repairs and what a nice evening with dinner and dominos. A great start to the week!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Mari, your post came up in my news reader on time. Yay. Good that you are trying to not let the weather change bother you. I do love Autumn 🍂 for the colours, crisp, fresh air and the harvest of my favourite root vegetables such as Rutabaga.
You did great cutting the vegetables and buying the sausage on sale, preparing it and freezing it.
Great job.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a lovely day! I love the misty photo of across the street.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! I'm so glad that September is off to a good start for you. That is so nice that Bob and his brother helped the woman who lost her husband. Looks like you all had a nice evening together. Enjoy the rest of September! See you again soon!

Mandy said...

A very productive day! You got lots done! Very smart to prep some of your food ahead of time. I really need to start doing more of that. It sure makes cooking easier. That was so nice to be invited for dinner! Looks like a lovely evening.

Susan said...

Hi Mari, I just love where you live with all those trees! You were ab busy woman today! How nice that the lady had you guys over for dinner. Have a great week!

Nicole Orriëns said...

You have such a beautiful view Mari! And I love the idea of slicing peppers and putting them in the freezer. I'm going to do that so than you for the inspiration!

Kim Carberry said...

What an interesting look at your life. It sure does look hot with you but how exciting to see the leaf on the road, a sure sign that Fall is coming! Good job with the food prep, that is very organised of you!
How lovely to have been invited out for supper, it sounds like a nice evening.

Catherine said...

We had too much heat waves from May to end of August 5 in total it was too much for us and no rain! Now it is Autumn and we have rain we are going on holidays but we don’t mind we have got good raincoats!
The humidity is the same in Dubai most of the time not really nice.

Acorn Hollow said...

A nice thank you and a lovely way to spend an evening.
I am sad summer is over I see my daughter and grand more in the summer. But hot and steamy is not my favorite weather.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful day you had. We played it low key. Went out for lunch and had hamburgers and then BBQ'd chicken, grilled zucchini and potato salad for a low key dinner. Janice

Terri D said...

I haven't played dominoes in so long, I can't even remember when it was. Mexican Train is played more often down here, but it's been since before COVID that I played that. Your yard and your street are so pretty, Mari. Great photos, and I am so happy our horrid summer is waning. Come one October!! (Sorry!) Wishing you a lovely September ahead!! xo

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Yes, Mari, this was definitely a cheerful, uplifting post and a wonderful way to begin September. I love that Bob and his brother are helping Lori out in such a tangible way, too. May you enjoy a much cooler fall!

Lori said...

It looks like you made the most of the first day of September! I hope it is a wonderful month for you.

photowannabe said...

Now that is really humid when the slider gets all steamy. I have to admit that I'm glad we don't get the humidity like you do. We have enjoyed several weeks of mid 80'sF temps. but tomorrow its suppose to go back to 100F for the rest of the week. That's the way the weather gets for us here.
Love the single red leaf on your walk. Beautiful harbinger of things to come.
Sue

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I enjoyed this post and the beautiful pictures, even when it's so steamy! That's just par for the course here in Florida! Oh, I love the barn and shed photos, and seeing you all playing dominoes together. The lady who is a recent widow looks quite young (is she the one at the end of the table?). So very sorry for her loss. It is really nice of the guys to help fix up her barn(s). I know she appreciates it, and it's nice you could all be there for supper. I hope you have a lovely FALL, and maybe this winter won't be so bad. You could always sneak away to Florida again! LOL. Take care and enjoy these days. Love to see all the good stuff you are preparing and freezing! Smart girl! We don't have a big freezer, so I can't do that. I sometimes wish we did. Bye for now!

Kim said...

It's steamy here, too, Mari! I went swimming yesterday as I'm trying to soak up the last bits of summer, because like you, I'm not a fan of the cold weather that's coming! That's super sweet of Bob and Tom to help out...what a kind and generous thing to do.