Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Cooking Thursday

The recipe I'm sharing today is a little different from my usual recipe, because it's for canning.  But some of you are canners and may be interested...  Last week I canned 24 pints of salsa - we'll be set for a while!  Anyway, this is an easy and good recipe for it; you can make it mild or hot and it's a great way to use that summer produce!



Salsa
1/4 bushel tomatoes (about 13 pounds)
2-3 large onions, chopped
4 green peppers, chopped
5-7 jalapeno peppers depending on spice level you want, chopped and seeded. If you want your salsa hotter, leave some seeds in.
6 teaspoons sugar
6 teaspoons salt
6 teaspoons vinegar
3 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2-3 large cans of tomato paste
Place tomatoes in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then put in ice water. Remove tomatoes, peel and core them. Place in large pan, stir in onions green peppers jalapeno peppers, sugar, salt vinegar, garlic and garlic salt. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour.
Stir in tomato paste to reach desired thickness.
Ladle into pint jars and process in hot water bath for 30 minutes.
Makes about 12 pints.

22 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Mari, I don't have a garden but I have a friend who does. I will pass on this recipe to her. Thank you so much for sharing. 😊

Susan said...

Hi Mari, I am really impressed! I have never maid salsa because my husband always has. My family always ask that he makes it for our family gatherings. He likes to roast the chilis and green tomatillos instead of boiling them. The smell of roasting reminds me of my grandpa who would roast them too. So how lovely big does it last in the jars? My grandma had a root cellar she used to store her canned goods. Do you make home made tortilla chips?

Ginny Hartzler said...

24 pints! My back hurts just thinking about it!!

Miss Merry said...

That sounds like a good amount of salsa. I made so much salsa for my freezer last year that I have enough leftover for the coming year, too.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I've never tried canning, but may one day. I am sure that your salsa is simply delicious. My mouth is watering just reading the recipe! Thanks for sharing, Mari. You are a great cook!

Acorn Hollow said...

I like salsa but husband does not.
Lots of hard work but so good later on.
Cathy

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I bet your kitchen really smelled good when you were making that! Wow!! That looks so good!! We probably couldn't eat that much salsa in a year, but then again, if it was homemade, we might! It has to be so much better than what we get at the store! Thanks for sharing the recipe!! If had that many tomatoes, I might try it!

R's Rue said...

Yummy.

Prims By The Water said...

A wonderful recipe for salsa. TFS Janice

Lori said...

I love homemade salsa. You will be so glad you did this when Winter comes and you can enjoy the taste of summer.

Terri D said...

Sounds good, Mari. No garden here, though, and I just don't use salsa much. I used to make and can my own spaghetti sauce. Joe wouldn't eat sauce from the grocery. It's sure convenient to just grab a jar and open that delicious goodness!! Thanks for sharing!

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know you canned too! You do just about everything! Love it.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

I'm impressed. Never canned. Neither did my mom and that's why I never learned. Sometimes I wished I had learned. Its the difference between growing up in a city or country. Just never had a need to and none of my friends did either. Now around here, there are many who do but I'm not confident I wouldn't accidentally poison us! 😁

photowannabe said...

Oh boy, now I am drooling. There is nothing like homemade Anything ! Salsa is always in our cupboard. We use it on just about everything ... Wish I was a canner and could use your recipe. YUM
Sue

Lowcarb team member said...

You've been busy :)

All the best Jan

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this!

Nicole Orriëns said...

They look lovely and the recipe sounds very healthy!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

This sounds delish! I'm so intimated by the thought of canning. It's such a brilliant idea and way to use up bumper crops!!

HappyK said...

Looks and sounds delicious. I've never gotten into canning. My mom and grandmother never did either, maybe that's why I never did.

Unknown said...

We were such poor stewards of our garden this year, but I would LOVE homemade canned salsa! Yum!!

My Tata's Cottage said...

I have a friend Lorna who cans like crazy! A trait inherited from her late mom. She and her sister get together and can too. Plus Lorna saves feral kitties. She is a fearless cat lover and she cooks like crazy! We had such a terrible drought we lost our backyard so no gardening. A sad summer. I am grateful the cooler weather but not the darkness that falls on us so early. You're a busy gal with your grands and your kitchen project and your canning. Whewwwww......could I borrow a smidge of your energy? I posted at both of my blogs today. LOL I am here too https://annesphamily.blogspot.com Have a great evening too.

Jenny the Pirate said...

As usual I stand in awe of your culinary prowess and your industriousness ... I am too lazy to work that hard but when I drop in for a visit, you're welcome to put some on the table with Hint-of-Lime corn chips, and I'll go straight to town, hahaa xoxo 🏴‍☠️