Pages

Monday, August 14, 2023

Favorite things this week

 Here's a few things I've been enjoying this week. These are mostly things in our yard, as I soak up Summer, knowing it will soon end.  I hate to see cold weather come back, so this time of the year I tend to really take it all in.


Our black eyes Susan's are doing well this year, and it's nice to see that bright splash of color when I look out the window into the back yard.



These are a variety of chives. We don't eat them, but have them because of the fun little flowers, which are just popping open.




This we do eat!  This is basil, and it's growing in our raised bed behind the house. We've never grown it before, but it's been great.  I love picking a few leaves and using them.  




This is a knock out rose. The buds are a deep yellow.



As it opens, it becomes this pale yellow.




And then, become almost pure white!  It looks beautiful, with all these varieties of yellow and white on the bush.





Our porch!  It gets so much use.  We sit out here most evenings, and sometimes when we are having something easy to eat, we'll take our supper out here too. We'll be enjoying it, until it gets too cold.





I shared this picture of a barn near me before, but I'm sharing it again to tell you something that I think is pretty cool.  I love barns and because of that I belong to an Old Barn Photography page on facebook.  People post pictures of barns from all over the country on it. Most of the pictures posted on this site get 200-800 likes and that's what happened with my previous posts.  However, for some reason this barn was really liked and as I type this, it's has almost 5000 likes and over 500 shares. 
That's not likely to happen to me again, and I wanted to share that fun experience with you!

20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, this barn photo just has everything! We have the Black-eyed Susans, they are so cheerful. Your rose is beautiful. I have grown basil in the house, but never outside.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the porch. It is so welcoming and comfy. I have a few Black-Eyed Susans in my yard too. I think I will plant some more next year. That is a cool big red barn. Your pictures are great.

roentare said...

Gorgeous flowers here.

Donna said...

Congratulations on all those "likes", Mari! It is a wonderful photo!
I love the flowers, as well!
hugs
Donna

Suemn said...

That's really something with the photo of the barn getting so many "Likes" in so little time. Congratulations on that! Your plants all look so pretty and healthy.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

16 blessings'mom said...

Amen to that fresh basil! It's SO good. The girls like a grape or cherry tomato, basil leaf, and piece of fresh mozzarella. I hate to see summer winding down too, glad you're enjoying the days. I love your porch!!!
Della

Jenny the Pirate said...

Your barn picture went viral! How exciting. It is a lovely barn and a beautiful picture. I think that farmers of long ago would be amused at how much people love seeing and photographing their barns, which they in most cases saw as functional more than anything else. I have yet to take a picture of the black tobacco barns of Kentucky, something I have long wanted to do. What am I waiting for? Haaahaha xoxo

Sparky said...

I know y'all can have really cold winters. Down here in Gawga (giggle) we have brutal summers and eagerly await cooler temps. God has been blessing us with rain, so, that helps. He is so good.
Beautiful photos. It is gorgeous in your neck of the woods that's for sure.
Sparky xx

Henny Penny said...

Beautiful post. I should have read it before posting my thoughts on August heat. :) Summer is my favorite too and I should enjoy it to the very end. That's wild about all the likes on the barn. Easy to see why though.

Prims By The Water said...

How cool to have that many likes for a barn. I use to follow a lady who posted barn pics but has since stopped blogging. What a beautiful rose. Alas I cannot have them here. Their thorns will bring too many snakes and I hate snakes. They use them to shed their skin and I had to remove them. Nothing with thorns around here. I love your porch too! Janice

Debby said...

That is so cool about your photo. I had that happen years ago - just the one time. IT is a nice photo.

I don't believe I have seen a rose like that. I'll have to look it up to see if it will grow here. Its really pretty.

happyone said...

That IS a great picture of the barn.
Love fresh basil.
We usually have some growing in the kitchen that I keep on the window sill.

Terri D said...

Mari, your photographs are AMAZING and I'm not surprised at all of the "likes" you have on that photo!! The sweetcorn growing in front of it looks pretty good too! My mom was obsessed with barns so I need to check out that FB site. Your porch is so great and I would sit out there as often as possible, as well. Black-eyed Susans are my second favorite flower, after daisies. Beautiful! xo

Jeanette said...

Love all the beautiful flowers! Congratulation son your barn photo going viral on Facebook! I love your porch and would be on it every night too! Rich and I sit outside on our deck every evening while we can! Not looking forward to colder weather!

Debi said...

I love barn photos! I've never heard of a knock out rose... how pretty. I love that it change color. Your porch looks so inviting.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love all of your "loves"! Lol Your gardens are looking they're still producing beautifully. Your front porch is so inviting and pretty. I would hang out there everyday too. And how cool about the barn photo!! That's amazing! But it is pretty picture perfect. ❤️

Mandy said...

I can see why your beautiful picture went viral! I love it! Such bright, beautiful colors!

Catherine said...

Congratulations ! The picture is really very nice. You are lucky to have a deck it must be nice to sit there. Here we don’t have such place. We don’t have much flowers here at the moment, too hot or too rainy…such a strange weather!

Beth Cotell said...

That's an awesome barn picture! No wonder you got so many likes.

And that star on your porch looks like a Moravian star!