Pages

Sunday, August 6, 2023

A Day in my Life - August

The first day of August fell on a Tuesday, which is my usual day off from work. Here's how I spent it.
I slept in!  One of the joys of a day off is sleeping later than usual and then having a quiet start to the day. I got up a little after 8, read my e-mails, checked some blogs and then got ready for the day.
I cleaned the bathrooms, did a little straightening up in the kitchen and started some laundry.  Then it was time to head out and do some running around.


My first stop was Bob's store, to check on some new house numbers and say hi to him.




Then to our bank. I've mentioned that my brother and I are trustees for my Dad's will, and it involves a lot of paperwork. Some of you have been through this and know the hassles. It seems every time I send paperwork in for something, they ask for more information. This time they wanted a special bankers seal stamped on the paperwork.  When I went in, they said they had to make sure they could do it, and could they call me back...
So, I drove into town where I had a few stops to make.



Then I had a manicure!  




I headed home on the back roads.  I stopped on a dirt road to take a picture of the Queen Ann's lace growing on the roadside.




I also admired this barn and the nice crop of corn around it.




I stopped at the grocery store to get groceries, then had to fight traffic to get home because of road construction on the main road through our town.

When I got home, the bank called and said to come back with a bunch of documents. They had to copy them and send them to their legal team for the ok to get the bankers seal.  I've decided it's  agood thing I'm not a lawyer because all these legal documents and rules make me crazy.  They have the death certificate, the trust paperwork and my identification, along with the will but I guess that's not enough.

When I got home, I had to make some phone calls related to this as well.  I seem to make these calls weekly to check on claims and see what they need yet.
Then I finished the laundry and did a little reading.



We had these little sliders for supper.  Laura and Aaron gave us some beef for Christmas, and one of the packages was beef sliders.  They are little, fit on those little Hawaiian rolls.  So they grilled up quick, and were so good, and fun too!



Bob and I quite often walk around the yard after supper. The gate by our garage is looking pretty with the different plants in front of it.




Bob has been working on the landscaping in the back and just finished building this Obelisk. He plans to put a few clematis next to it, so they can climb on it. It will be pretty next summer!




The phlox are blooming.




I love the hydrangea.




This is called Monarda.  I think it's such a cool flower.


Then we went in and relaxed for the evening.  We had a call from Andy in KY and caught up with how they are doing.

And then the day was done. It was a beautiful day, lots accomplished and so much beauty to enjoy!

22 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a gorgeous yard you have! What are those gorgeous huge leaves? Maybe Hostas? What color polish did you get?

Susan said...

Sounds like you have been busy! Those sliders look really good! I bet your garden will be beautiful! My plumerias and roses are blooming. They smell amazing! Enjoy your week Mari!

Catherine said...

After my mother’s death as I am an only child I did not want to struggle with all the papers and took an agency to do the work. I already had to organise the funeral on my own. It is a long process even when you don’t have brothers and sisters!
The agency is efficient they are lawyers and insurance company.
Manicures have many varnish colours and it’s fun to choose and change, I like to go there!

Donna said...

Love your yard! Ours id burnt toast!
If we could move farther north, I swear I'd do it!
Glad you enjoyed your day off but sorry about all the paperwork. My Dad signed over everything to me before he passed...Made things so easy.
hugs
Donna

roentare said...

I would love to sleep in any day of the week! The sliders look very nice to taste.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Mari- A busy day indeed- if I sleep in my day is usually over - been waking at 3:00am in the morning to do some modelling in the early hours- I like it as I use to do Nightshift at work. Your Dad's affairs with the Will and such sounds very awkward- seems the authorities should get their act together and not dilly-dally and muck you about. Thinking of you and Bob- Best Wishes. KEV.

Mari said...

Ginny - those big leaves are Hosta. We have a lot of them because they like our shady yard>
I got a pale pink polish!

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, You certainly got a lot done that day and what a nice way to end the day with a walk around your beautiful yard.

Sparky said...

It's so pretty in your neck of the woods. And those sliders ... gosh they look good. Yum! xx

acorn hollow said...

You had a very busy productive day off. Your gardens by the gate are lovely.
cathy

R's Rue said...

Such beautiful photos.

Barbara said...

Beautiful post, Mari. I really like the gate beside your garage. That round feature is so intriguing. All of you yard is beautiful. Hydrangea. I think you commented on my blog (Sweet Tea and Sandals, now replaced with My Journal Memories) when we had 2 Hydrangea bushes that cooked in the hot Florida sun. We have not planted anything to replace them yet, thinking to wait until it cools here in about October. Thanks for such a comfortable, cheery post. Oh, and those sliders -- they look great!!!

Kim said...

You always have the busiest days off, Mari! You accomplish so much. Love all those fun colors for the manicure choice. I wonder which one you chose!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Aren't these long summer days so wonderful? I am enjoying them so much. Your yard is so inviting and I can't wait to walk around it with you. That pink flower truly is gorgeous and special too, but then they all are. Your hydrangea is such a beautiful color. Tell Bob I love his obelisk and I want one just like it. Make that two. Consider that to be me putting an order in, haaahahha xoxo

Terri D said...

I have never heard of or seen a Monarda before. How interesting and lovely!! I am the personal rep for my friend Helen but the attorney is doing all the legal work for me. I know it will cost some dollars but I am happy to let them handle it. I am the only non-relative involved and I am comfortable with letting the attorney field any questions family members have. It's not an easy job. Your yard is always pretty,even in the snow!! Hugs!

happyone said...

You had a fine day.:) Yes, know about being a trustee!!!
What a beautiful yard you have.
Would you believe that I've never had a professional manicure. Have always done my own.
Love the picture of the barn and the corn.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I loved sharing your day with you! I loved the barn photo. So peaceful. And I would have loved to be there for dinner. The sliders look delicious! Have a cozy evening and a wonderful rest of the week, my friend.

The Happy Whisk said...

Wow, wow. You had a full day and then some. The little sliders looked cute. Love the flowers and any trip to any hardware store is a good day for me too. Cheers, Ivy.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

That sounds like an absolutely wonderful day off! Minus the paperwork headaches. Geesh - that stuff is sure a pain! I love your landscaping and flowers so much. Just beautiful.

Jeanette said...

Love days off that are full of accomplishments! What a pain all the paperwork for your dad's estate sounds like! I'm glad you took a little time to get a manicure for yourself! The sliders look good and your yard is beautiful! Love this time of year!

Doris said...

ugh, any kind of paperwork drives me crazy. Hope it will soon be finished for you!
We have another big tree in our front yard that must come down. Will be a job with a tree service because it's very tall. Glad you could do yours without that expense! So nice that even the girls got to help.

Prims By The Water said...

I remember when my mom was in charge of my grandmothers estate what a hassle she had, so I feel bad for you. Beautiful scenery and flowers! Glad your were able to sleep in on your day off. Janice