Pages

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Cooking Thursday

What do you do with extra bananas?  If they start getting dark I put them in the freezer, and when I get a few, I pull them out and use them.  I throw them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then peel them and put them right into the mixing bowl to make banana bread or this yummy cake.  It's a favorite treat, that comes with sweet memories of the friend who gave me the recipe, who is now in heaven.  If you've never tried this one, you need to!


 Frosted Banana Bars

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Add salt, baking soda and flour to creamed mixture, then stir in bananas.
Spread into greased 15 x 10 x 1 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool.

For frosting - in large bowl beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar to reach the right consistency and frost cooled bars.
Store in refrigerator.

16 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I have bananas in the freezer most all the time. Thanks for the recipe I will give it a try.
Cathy

Ginny Hartzler said...

Looks awesome, and so moist!

Catherine said...

Very good recipe. Last week I baked a banana cake with chocolate .

Terri D said...

Joe was the banana eater in our house. I don't buy them anymore so don't have the ripe ones to use. This really sounds good. I could pick out some riper bananas at the grocery and let them sit out until ready for cake or bread! This is a keeper!!

Suemn said...

I love banana cake so I'll need to try this recipe:)

Judy said...

Yum! I haven't made banana bars or bread in such a long time, my husband loves anything made with banana.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh this would be right up my alley! I love banana anything. And I often make banana bread - but so fun to switch it up. ;) Got it copied down. Thanks Mari!

Debby said...

Oh, that looks so good. I do the same with my bananas as well - stick them in the freezer. I'll have to bake this soon.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I love to freeze bananas for later use but Mari! Peel them first! Haahahaa j/k do it any way you want. That cake looks heavenly and I have copied the recipe. xoxo

Great-Granny Grandma said...

This sounds so good.

Susan said...

That banana recipe sounds really good. I used to make banana bread with walnuts. You always have great recipes!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, this looks good. I can almost smell it from here.

Prims By The Water said...

Made banana bread last week. Love banana bread and cake. YUM Janice

Debi said...

This sounds delicious... I love anything banana!

The Happy Whisk said...

Banana bake looks super soft and yummy.

Jeanette said...

That looks so good!