Pages

Monday, July 31, 2023

Throwback Tuesday

In the process of cleaning out my Dad's house we came across boxes of slides. We knew we had to go through them, but didn't have the time to do it while cleaning. Cheri took them all to her house to look at later.
So, this past Friday, we all gathered at Mark and Cheri's.  They set up the screen, got out the projector and we spent 4 hours going through slides.

My Dad was in the army and spent time in Germany, so we saw slides of that time, along with a trip to the Netherlands with his army buddies.  There were pictures from a trip my mom took to Colorado with 3 girlfriends before she was married.  There was another trip she took to Mackinac bridge and island, with pictures taken from a helicopter over the bridge, something we never knew she did. 
We saw pictures of their trips to Hawaii, Europe, Canadian Rockies, Alaska.

And we saw things we loved - like pictures from their honeymoon, pictures of the farm I grew up on, the house we lived in until I was 12, pictures of extended family and us as kids.
It was really touching to see it all.

Here's a few that I took pictures of when they were on the screen. Some are in pretty bad condition after all these years, so you'll have to excuse the poor quality.


My brother and I, apparently really enjoying whatever Mom was feeding us!



I love this picture because I have such strong memories of this type of thing.  My Dad was a hands on dad and could often be found on the floor playing with us.  He was a farmer (as evidenced by that farmers tan) and came home every day for lunch. After eating, he would always get on the floor and play for a bit before he went back to work. This looks like it was taken in the evening, and is Dad playing with my sister Terri.




This is me with my brother Duane.  I was 14 months old when he was born. I don't think he appreciated how I was holding him.




This is on my second birthday.





Here, I'm opening a present on my first birthday.


It was a great evening, reminding us of lots of good times and memories.  We're sending the slides away to be saved onto digital medium

16 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, Mari...what treasures! What a cutie you were as a little girl! I know ya'll enjoyed going through these slides and reminiscing.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful family memories. I think my favorite is you and Duane. It is priceless. You look like you would give anything for him to stop crying! And your Dad on the floor playing, how wonderful that is!! He sounds like he was one in a million.

Deb J. in Utah said...

These slides are so precious! Looks like you have many happy memories of your childhood. I am glad that you are having the slides digitized. I have a lot of slides my dad took and I need to do the same. If you have any recommendations about a company to use, please let me know. It is on my "to do" list.

roentare said...

These are treasure photos!

Donna said...

Awww...such sweet memories! And I think, better times.
Happy week sweet lady!
hugs
Donna

Suemn said...

Such cute pictures. I know you'll treasure them forever:)

Changes in the wind said...

How wonderful to have these memories.

Pam said...

Old pics are the best. I cleaned out my moms house and boy, there was a lot. My mom was not a hoarder, she was a collector...lol....I say that cause everything was stored in plastic totes, all in order and marked. Memories. I have allher pics but I have a ton of mine also. I have recently started going through my pics and dividing them up to give to whoever is in the pic.

Catherine said...

Such nice memories and cute pictures of you and your brother

My Tata's Cottage said...

Such a treasure! Oh you are just to precious and adorable. What a beautiful find. I have those photo boxes for each child. Once I get into my overstuffed garage and get all my large tubes filled with photos these kids will be flying high! When our daughter Noelle lost Roger , Rebekah and Zach took everyone's photos and put them on those flash drives. Life is fleeting, it is so good to have memories....
Your dad yodeled?! OH my goodness, that is so cool. I love hearing the stories.
I hope your week is going well and if I n=ever need a shot I will find you to do it! :-)
Love & Hugs & Prayers

Jeanette said...

Those are awesome! Isn't it wonderful to have those to look at and all the memories! I loved seeing my mom and dad young and raising us 4 kids!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh mercy what were you doing to Duane? Poor kid, haaahahaha!~ I can see your granddaughters in your little-girl face. xoxo

Prims By The Water said...

What fun to sit down and enjoy those pictures. My paternal grandfather use to give me horse rides on the floor with his farmers tan too! Great memories. You were a lil cutie and so was your brother.. Too cute the two of you together. Janice

Kim said...

When my mom passed we came upon the same old box of slides. So many memories. I really need to send them out to be preserved as well.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh such precious memories Mari! Thank you for sharing them. You guys are so adorable. ;) I'm so glad you're going to have them digitally preserved. They are more precious than gold. 💗

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What wonderful treasures.
Love the expression on your face in the picture where you are holding your crying brother--and the expression on his face in the picture with the birthday cake. Priceless!