Pages

Monday, July 24, 2023

A Cut Above

Bob finished another of his carvings this past week, which reminded me that he finished one in late Spring that I never showed you.  So, this is a little late, but it's a special one so I'm sharing it now.
Bob has one uncle left, his Mom's younger brother.  He was the youngest child and now just turned 85.
He owned a store and was a butcher, and had asked Bob to do a carving of him as a butcher.


Here's the finished carving showing Uncle Neal hard at work!



This one is named 'A Cut Above'.



He even made a little butcher block table, which is what they used to use in the store to cut meat on.



Cutting meat is messy, so he had to include a bit of it, without making it gory. I love the floor he made.  He also included sawdust, which is something they put down to absorb messes and make it easier to sweep up.



Butchers usually wear paper caps, which are supplied by different companies and have their logos on them.  Uncle Neals real name is Cornelious and he goes by Neal or Casey.  That's why Bob made the logo on the cap KC Fine Meats.
Another thing is the handprint.  Bob puts a handprint on all his carvings, and puts them in different places. This one was over his heart, to symbolize God's hand on his heart.






Here's Uncle Neal with the carving.  It's one Bob was especially honored to do.


24 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

This is an excellent carving. I'm super impressed. Super well done.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is wonderful!!! Bob is so very talented! It has so many charming and perfect details. It would sell in stores for quite a lot of money, I bet.

roentare said...

A good sculpture! Love the art

Catherine said...

This is beautifully done! Congratulations to Bob!

Donna said...

What beautiful carving!! I know his uncle was happy to receive it!!
hugs
Donna

Lux G. said...

That is just amazing! Bob is so talented.

DUTA said...

Bob is, no doubt, a very skillful person , and with a great sense for family and gratitude! The carving of his uncle as a butcher is definiteky a masterpiece.

sharon said...

Bob definitely has a special God given talent. Hope y’all are enjoying his retirement.

16 blessings'mom said...

I am jaw-dropped here, impressed! That is amazing, love it. It reminds me of Wallace and Gromit, so lovable. Wow.

Kim said...

Bob is a true artist. The level of detail in his work is amazing and the likeness is crazy! It looks like his uncle is really happy with his mini me, too.

Changes in the wind said...

Fantastic!

Suemn said...

Oh my gosh. Bob is so very very good at his wood carvings. All the little details he adds too. I know his Uncle Neal will treasure it forever:) What a wonderful gift.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Bob's work is truly a divine gift! That carving is beyond amazing. And just look at Uncle Neal's smile!! 😃 You know Bob nailed it with that one. Gold stars for Bob!! 🌟 🌟 🌟
PS: my fave is the handprint representing the Lord ;)

Jeanette said...

Wow Mari! I am truly impressed at Bob's carving ability! Such wonderful little details. I bet his uncle treasures it!

Jenny the Pirate said...

This is another total triumph. I love the chunky table and the blood and the sawdust and the handprint ... I can attest to the discriminating collector quality of these carvings, as I am the grateful owner of Jenny the Pirate made by none other than Bon. It is in my will. Yes! In my will! An instant heirloom, as is this masterpiece for Uncle Neal. xoxo

Prims By The Water said...

That carving is just amazing! All of the little details and I know Uncle Neal will cherish his carving for sure! Janice

My Tata's Cottage said...

That is simply wonderful! All that detail. Such a talented sweetheart of a husband you have there Mari! Love his uncle smile when seeing it.

Saija said...

Good job Bob!

Debby said...

That is some impressive carvings - I appreciate woodworking skills that young people no longer want to learn. These skills are dying out. Of course, it takes a lot of talent as well and I can see Bob has been blessed with both.

Such a nice thoughtful gift.

Terri D said...

Bob has such a talent!! That carving is perfection!! His Uncle loves it, from the smile on his face!! Thanks for sharing!! xo

Michelle said...

Wow! This is so great and Bob is very talented!

Mandy said...

I am just in awe! What talent! This is just the neatest thing I’ve seen in a while! It is amazing!

Doris said...

The carving is wonderful! And so filled with meaning ♥️

Katelyn R. said...

That is so so cool!! What amazing work Uncle Bob does with the carvings and the thought he puts into it is just amazing!!