Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Cooking Thursday

Today's recipe is a freezer meal I made recently.  It's quite fast and easy to put together.  It makes a 9x9 pan, but I double the recipe and put 2 in the freezer, figuring that as long as I'm doing the work, and will have a mess to clean, I might as well have 2 pans at the end!  It's so nice to have in the freezer, all ready for those busy days!


Cheesy Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into one inch cubes
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
1/3 cup salsa, mild, medium or hot per your preference
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 cup red enchilada sauce
5-6  8" flour tortills
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray.

Heat oil in skillet and saute onion.  Add chicken and saute until golden brown and cooked through. Add taco seasoning and garlic powder.

Stir in black beans, chilies and salsa.  Simmer 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.

Place half of enchilada sauce in pan. Place tortillas on flat surface.  Top each tortilla with equal amount of chicken/bean mix.  Roll and place side by side in pan. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.

*These freeze well.  Wrap tightly.  Thaw for 24 hours, then bake for 30-35 minutes.

13 comments:

Cherdecor said...

This is a recipe my guys would love. I think I will double it also and freeze a pan. Thank you, Mari.

Arlene G said...

Another Winner Mari!!

Linda said...

Hey, I have those items on hand...looks like a meal for tonight, then {{smiles}}.

Judy said...

I'm definitely printing this recipe. YUM!!!!

Terri D said...

We love Mexican food. This sounds yummy!

Changes in the wind said...

Sounds like a winner...

Sally said...

I'm not usually up for Mexican food, but that looks really good!

xoxo

Dianna said...

You have such yummy recipes to share, Mari. It sounds so good. I have been without the internet since last Saturday and have been playing catch up by reading back over your blog posts. Congratulations on your 36th wedding anniversary! I loved seeing the pictures! Your shopping trip with Aliana looked like so much fun. I am glad you've decided to make it a tradition. Those are trips she will never forget. You are such a good grandmother. I will look forward to seeing the pictures from the trip you take with Ruby. :)

Jennifer Hays said...

I make this one too! I have about three enchilada recipes in rotation and I love them all. Enchiladas are so easy and they freeze and reheat really well.

UplayOnline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Henny Penny said...

This looks delicious! Hate I saw it because I am trying to stick to a diet today. :) The picture makes me hungry.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

This sounds wonderful! We love chicken enchiladas at our house, and I like how you added the beans to them, yummy! Great idea to make two, with one to freeze! :)

Jean said...

Saving this one for sure!! Thank you!!