Pages

Monday, August 28, 2017

The Annual Chicken BBQ

From the time I was a kid (and that was some time ago!) my family has been going to the Annual Drenthe Chicken BBQ.  Drenthe is a very small town about 30 minutes from my home.  I think the only thing in this town is a little ice cream and sandwich shop, a gas station and the park where this is held, but I like small towns!  Anyway, this chicken BBQ is a big deal and lots of people show up.  My Dad always invites all of us to come and we usually have quite a few of the family show up.


This event always seems very "Americana" to me.  They have a community band playing, there are ball games going on, there are old tractors to see, a wagon ride and a petting zoo!



Alaina thought the food was ok, but was much more excited to get done and see the animals.




Ruby was sitting across from me, being her usual goofy self.  She was enjoying a hot dog instead of the grilled chicken, but she did have a little chicken too.




My sister snapped this picture of Bob and I - you see how well he behaves?




There was a whole section of the park devoted to a petting zoo.  The kids were loving it!





There were chickens...





sheep, pigs and goats!





Alaina was surprised when this goat tried to greet her!




There were ducks.





They got to touch the ducks feet and learn about the coating on them that helps them float.








Holding chicks is so much fun!




They both loved this bunny.  It was so soft, and was very calm, and didn't seem to mind lots of little kids petting it!




We missed the wagon rides this year - they were always full, but maybe next year.
What a good night - family, food and fun!

15 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I love small towns too, and the fun had there. I also love the 'freckles' on two little girls noses! Glad you had a good time, and they got to pet the animals.

Arlene G said...

You are exactly right Mari...Americana at its best. Your grand girls are just precious.

Jean said...

What a great time together!! I just love things like this! The pictures, especially of the girls and of you and Bob, are spectacular!!

Joyful said...

Looks like a wonderful time for children and adults alike :-)

Linda said...

{{Big, Big Smiles}}} Thank you Mari.

Jennifer Hays said...

What a fun day! I'm glad you all had a good time. The girls are looking so much alike. They could almost be twins in that last photo with the rabbit!

Changes in the wind said...

Oh what fun and great pictures...especially the one of the two of you:)

Sally said...

How fun! I love things like this, and miss them. The girls are so cute, and yes I think your Bob is a comedian. :)

xoxo

Jenny said...

It looks absolutely idyllic. What a beautiful day! But the pictures of R and A holding the chickies? Pure gold. xoxo

Cherdecor said...

I grew up near a small town, but then never had a petting zoo. I guess back then everyone had cows and chickens. Your pictures are really spectacular. I love the picture of you and Bob. The pictures of Alaina and Ruby are so cute especially the ones of them holding the chicks. Those should be framed.

Michelle said...

This looks like a perfect family time!

Betsy Brock said...

Fun, fun! I just can't get over how much the girls have grown this summer! Amazing! I think I'd love those chicks the best! :)

krishna said...

wow!! what a fun!!

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Such a fun time! There seems to be some similarities in the pictures of Ruby and Dad....

Karen said...

This looks like such a good time. Great pictures, Mari.