Pages

Monday, March 6, 2017

This is why...

I've had some tough days at work lately.  We've been short staffed so lots of us are working long hours and extra days.  There has been extra work because of the move to the new addition and the added craziness that goes with renovations in the existing building.  We've been having a lot of admissions and discharges which means lots of extra paperwork.   We've also had some very challenging patients.  All that makes for hard days and feeling a bit overwhelmed.  But then something happens to remind you why you do what you do!
Last week one of our therapists came to me in the morning and said she had something for me and handed me a piece of paper.  It was from a lady who had spent 3 weeks with us after she broke a bone in her back.  She improved enough to be able to go back home.  I wasn't there the day she was discharged and she gave this note to the therapist to give to me.


 She wrote this on a paper that her meal had come with.  The funny spots are from me removing her name.  (My real name is Maribeth and I'm called that at work)



The therapy staff told me she worked for a while to write out the "check".  It says -" $10 plus $1 interest.  Render to Maribeth for loving care. (Wow she is expensive!)"
Isn't that the sweetest thing?  It made my day and is something I'll be keeping.  What a nice thing to remember on those hard days!

20 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Well, that's just the cutest thing ever. Just shows what an impression you made on her! Good for you! Love it.

Anonymous said...

How very thoughtful of her and I know that made your day.

sharon said...

So sweet and such a reminder😊

Joyful said...

That is cute and so very sweet.

Hootin Anni said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww, it's moments like this that just melt a heart and make the day so much brighter!!

And, I KNOW that you deserved the accolade and warm fuzzy!!

Dianna said...

VERY special in deed! I spent three weeks in a rehab facility a few years ago and I came away from there feeling the same about a few of the staff. When you are down and out because of needing to be there the smallest kindness (including a smile) is so appreciated by the patient.

Arlene G said...

Mari, that is so sweet. And yes, just one note often makes us thankful that we can be an important person in some one's life even if it is for a short while.

Linda said...

I had always wondered if you name was shortened, smiles (very pretty, by the way). Big smiles here....

Sally said...

Such a wonderful keepsake, Maribeth! And, I love your name. How nice the sweet lady was to remember you and thank you for such kindness.

xoxo

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

It is amazing, but sometimes it takes something like that to take away our tiredness, our 'why am I doing this', etc. So sweet and so glad you got to see it.

Terri D said...

What a special lady she is and what a special lady you are!! This reminds us to let those who care for us in the hospital or rehabs know that they are appreciated. God bless all nurses and health-care providers. It takes a special person to do what you do, Mari. Thank you!!

Changes in the wind said...

That really was sweet and am sure it blessed you.

Patsy said...

You need all the cheer you can get, you do have a very emotional
and hard job. Hope you can leave all at work and never take it home. You have a very loving family. Kiss, kiss the grand babys.

cheri battjes said...

This is awesome and so well deserved. You have touched so so many lives at the nursing home and throughout your life. We are all so blessed to know you and have you in our lives. Love you!!

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Oh my! So sweet! I imagine most of your patients feel that way!

Laura said...

That is so sweet! You definitely deserve that appreciation. I love how she decorated it so cute like a real check! You are the most amazing nurse I have ever known and I'm not just saying that because you're my mom! :)

Terri said...

I would have to agree with Laura - and I'm not just saying that because you are my sister! I've seen you at work and know you truly care for your residents and they appreciate you (well, most of them :)

Henny Penny said...

That is so sweet. I'm sure it did make your day. Your must be a really sweet and caring nurse and she appreciated that. Maribeth is a pretty name.

Cherdecor said...

You are a special person, dear Mari! I am so glad that the people around you see that. God has gifted you to work where you do. Hope your days get easier.

Sylvia said...

I'm SO please for you Mari. How wonderful to be nurses and cared for by you. x