Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Blustery Day!

I have a few things to show you from last week,.
We got a postcard in the mail telling us the electric company would be coming through and trimming trees sometime in the month of March.  Even though I was warned, I was quite surprised to come home and find this in our front yard!

This picture doesn't show the extent of the amount of branches in our front yard.  There were these branches that are actually piled quite high and there were also pine branches stacked up. 
Our electric lines are in the back of our house and are close to a wooded area.  They had to drag all this stuff up to the road.  Thankfully they picked it all up the next day.
They did leave some messes in the back though.  There are trees that have been "trimmed" of all there branches with only one small branch left at the top.  Bob has already lined up his brother to come and help cut them down.  It looks kind of ridiculous!

I was very glad the electric company got those branches when they did because the next day was extremely windy!  I know from FB that some of you were dealing with the same type of wind.  We were having wind gusts of up to 80mph.  These windy days always seem to fall on the same day as trash pick up.  When I came home from work I saw trash bins all over.  There wasn't one that was still standing upright or at the end of a driveway.
I didn't take these next pictures.  They were on FB, but they show what it was looking like around here.




On one side of us, at Lake Michigan near Grand Haven the waves were huge!



And on the other side, near Grand Rapids, power lines were being blown down...




and so were semi trucks!
Can you even imagine?  Some people were without power from Wednesday until Saturday.
We didn't have much happen to us.  A few small branches came down and we lost some shingles.
Hope any of you who were in the wind also stayed safe!

14 comments:

Arlene G said...

Oh my...that is windy!! We had wind on Friday and a bit of snow overnight last night but temps will rebound this week. So glad as I got used to that warm weather.

Dianna said...

We had wind, but nothing like you experienced. I'm glad that the electric company came back the next day and picked up everything that they drug from your back yard where they cut it out to the front yard. Stay safe, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your wind was incredible. Thankful that the power co. mostly cleaned up what they trimmed. Have a good Monday.

Henny Penny said...

We have had high winds lately, but nothing like that! That is like having a hurricane come through. The two pictures of Lake Michigan are beautiful, aren't they!

Hootin Anni said...

My goodness!! What a terrible mess both from the winds and the power companies trimming away from the power lines. And from what I gather, they left some so barren in your yard that they ruined 'em? Figures. I wish cities would go underground with power lines...it'd seem to eventually work in more ways than one.

Linda said...

YEP...winter still has its grip on us here in western NY---our winds like 50 mph...and expecting upwards of 24 inches of snow...sigh...

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

These winter storms seem to be hitting most of us. So glad you are ok and didnt have damage at your home. Also glad the branches have been cleaned up. It is good they come and cut them all down, but sometimes dont clean up their mess! lol I am ready for some springtime weather to come and stay. Hope the new week is good for you.

Laura said...

Those pictures are crazy! I guess we can be glad only our fence blew over and we never lost power!

I just heard this morning that some people still don't have power. :(

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness, that looks really nasty and scary. Glad you didn't have any damage, other than branches down. Also glad the electric company cleaned up after themselves!

Jennifer Hays said...

Holy cow, that's windy! I'm glad you were okay. Good thing they trimmed those trees when they did. I'm glad they came back to clean up too.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Yep, we had the winds too and we were without power for several hours one evening. And you're so right that it does tend to be on garbage day for some reason!! Lol Now we're dealing with 6 inches of new snow. So it goes...
Have a great week Mari! xoxo

Cherdecor said...

Oh, my, a blustery day is an understatement! We had high winds but nothing like what you had. Our sundial was the only thing that was blown down in our yard. That was a little freaky because the birdbath beside of it still stands.

LL Cool Joe said...

Those photos look scary. I'm glad you didn't get too much damage. Sounds like it was just as well the men cut back the trees the day before the storm though!

Sally said...

I cringe every time I see a semi like that. My friend's dad was hit by one a few years back, blessedly he wasn't hurt that badly but emotionally, mentally he never was the same and has since passed.

Sure wish the county would come again and trim some of these trees that are so close to power lines. I miss living where the lines were underground.

I'm glad you didn't have too much trouble, and I have some friends who were without power for almost a week.

xoxo