Pages

Monday, May 2, 2016

A day in my life... May!

Another month has gone by and it's time for another Day in my Life post.  This past weekend was my weekend to work, so much of my May 1 was spent at work.  Here's a peek at my day.

 I'm heading to work at 6:35 in the morning.  It's kind of a gloomy morning, but the scenery is still pretty.


 6:50 am - I've arrived at the nursing home.  It's a mess here!  Our new parking area is almost done, but now the front yard is all torn up, where they dug up the old parking lot and patio.


 As you can see there are lots of trenches.  They are putting in new water lines, and running electric to the new parking area for lighting. Soon they plan to pour the footings for the new addition.



11am - since I can't take pictures that have our residents in them, I thought I would share our resident bird.  This birds name is Shakespeare, but it's a girl.  She had this name when she came to us.  The residents enjoy talking to her and any kids that come to visit love to see her.


We had a calm day with no crazy things going on.  We did have a funny thing happen, as usual.  One of our ladies was trying to make another lady move somewhere else in her wheelchair.  She tends to be a little bossy, the other lady didn't want to move and let her know.  Lady #1 then came to the nurses station and told us "She is not ready for school yet.  She has to learn to be a little more cooperative before she can go.  You know, her brother is the same way.  Their parents are very nice, but there is just no discipline in that house!"  We had a hard time keeping a straight face.



 I got out of work at about 3:30 and headed home.  It was still quite cloudy and cool, but not raining.  You can see in this picture that the leaves are getting ready to pop open on the trees!



Once a month, our small group from church gets together.  We take turns going to different houses.  We had a wonderful supper, some great discussion time and lots of laughs.

That's my day...  it was a good one!

18 comments:

Doris said...

I always enjoy your first day posts! Sounded like a good one once again :)

Anita Johnson said...

Thanks for your comment...sometimes I leave one too. Love what you do...cling to your small group!

Karen said...

I enjoy these posts. I'd love to do one, but I can never remember to do it on the first of the month. I'll just have to pick a random day and go for it!

Deb J. in Utah said...

You are an early riser and worker like me. I teach A hour and have to be at school by 6:30 a.m. every day. I get up at 4:30 a.m. so that means early to bed (most nights) for me. Your small group from church sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for your prayers for my grandson. They are so very much appreciated! Have a great week!

Jenny said...

I can't believe the first of another month has come and gone again. I love Shakespeare. Both the bard and the bird. All our trees are fully leafed out. Tonight we are having a rare rainy night. It's been so dry. Your facility is going to look so nice when the renovations are done. xoxo

Joyful said...

Sounds like you had a good start to May despite the gloomy weather. There are several lovely birds at the residence where my mom lives too though to date I haven't seen any one talking to them.

Betsy Brock said...

Every time you do this I can't believe another month has gone by! You're going to have a tree tunnel to drive through when the leaves come out on those trees!

Love the bird...how appropriate that she have white hair as she lives among the elderly. haha. Cute story, too, about the lady. lol....

Arlene G said...

Mari I admire you so for the work you do with your geriatric patients!! It is a calling for sure! And it is neat that you have a bird in the nursing facility. I am sure that brightens everyone's day.

Patsy said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us, nice to know you have fun
sometimes and lots of smiles.

Terri D said...

I look forward to your share day each month! It is also fun to see the progress on the new addition, so please keep us posted as the walls begin to go up! Hope those leaves pop out for you soon!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy these too! No matter what kind of day you have, it's always a positive perspective!

Amy at love made my home said...

Glad you had a good day! I hope that all the building works go well!

Sally said...

So glad you had a good day!

Now, I have to comment on Shakespeare being a girl; reminds me of Johnny Cash singing about a "boy named Sue". :)

xoxo

Hootin Anni said...

Awwwwwwwwww, the end of your work day sounds like a perfect way to stop, enjoy, and relax while conversing with your friends/ones of your congregation.

As for the lady vs. lady with the wheelchair...that's a hoot. Aren't the older ones fun to be around?!!! I think so.

And Shakespeare....sweet sweet gal. VERY pretty indeed.

Cherdecor said...

I always enjoy your first day of the month posts. What a beautiful bird! He must get a lot of attention. I'm still laughing at the story of the lady in the wheelchair.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Always love these posts Mari. Especially when you share about work. I miss the resident stories! Such fun!! Lol I remember one lady we had would "have a baby" just about every other month. She would sit out in the hallway in her wheelchair practicing her breathing. After she would "have the baby" (even though she was like 83) - she would tell us she was going to make us all a pie for helping her so much. She always carried around a baby doll too. Such sweet memories. ;)

xoxo

Jean said...

I enjoy your work stories! We haven't been in that kind of a small group for a long time, and I miss it. For now my praise team in one church and my choir in the other church are my small groups, I guess.

I just caught up on a number of your posts. The wedding looked and sounded wonderful even just from a few pictures. What a beautiful bride!

And that hail storm!! Hail always scares me. Glad your car wasn't damaged.

LL Cool Joe said...

That did make me laugh about the lady coming and telling you the other lady isn't ready for school yet. I don't know how you did keep a straight face!

Your work place looks like the outside of my house at the moment. We are having a new roof and it's a mess!