Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Cooking Thursday

I don't know what's showing up in your local produce stands, but around here, Red Haven peaches are just being picked.  Bob and I both love peaches, but Bob likes his peaches best in a pie!
Here's a recipe I've made for years.  It's so easy to put together and is very good.




Peach Pie

Pastry for 9 inch, 2 crust pie
5 cups sliced fresh peaches
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry, and place one crust into 9 inch pie plate.
Mix peaches and lemon juice.
Mix 1 cup sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir peaches into mix.
Turn into pastry lined pie plate. Cover with top crust, and place slits in crust.
Seal crusts and flute edges.
Brush water over top crust and sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over top.
Cover edge of pie with 2 inch aluminum foil to prevent excess browning.
Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until crust is brown.

*I also freeze this pie filling. Make it as directed and put it in a freezer bag. When you are ready to make the pie, all you need is the crust. I thaw the filling, add about 2 tablespoons of flour right into the freezer bag, seal it and mix it in. Then pour it into the crust and finish as directed on recipe. It turns out great!

22 comments:

Karen said...

This looks delicious and I love the idea of freezing the filling. Around here, Palisade peaches are the best! They are grown on the Western slope of the Colorado Rocky Mountains.

Jean said...

I can almost taste it just by reading the ingredients!!

Mari said...

That must be a tasty one! I actually like pie crust :)

LL Cool Joe said...

I love peaches but can't eat them raw, so this pie would be perfect for me!

Linda said...

Yum, thanks for sharing. Blessings

Arlene G said...

Looks yummy!!

Unknown said...

We love peaches here too, and your recipe sounds so easy and so good. Thanks for sharing.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

This is the time of year that peaches are just right! And nothing better than peach pie! Yum!!!
Great freezing tip too! thanks Mari xoxo

Sally said...

Oh my goodness! That looks so good; made my tummy rumble looking at it. Thanks for this recipe; I'll be trying it for sure. :)

xoxo

White Lace and Promises said...

Yummy and get the vanilla ice cream out!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That looks delicious! I love peach pie. Now if I can just get my hands on some fresh peaches. Thanks for another great recipe.

Stephanie said...

Mmmm... heavenly peach pie! I wish we were neighbors, sweet Mari {{smiles}} Hugs!

Ceil said...

Hi Mari! I can smell that pie from here! My husband loves pies, and this would make his mouth water :)
Thursday blessings,
Ceil

Kerin said...

Looks delicious!
Thanks for sharing the recipe too!
I think I'll mix a batch of pie filling, and freeze it for a frosty Fall day; that will be the perfect day to bake a pie :)\

~K.

Terri D said...

I love peaches too and your pie looks amazing! I buy my pie crust though. Can't make a good pie crust to save my soul.

Nancy said...

I love love love peaches. Your pie looks delicious and I am sure it won't last long....

Jennifer Hays said...

I made a peach dessert recently too. I looove peaches. Peach ice cream is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Betsy Brock said...

yum...it looks perfect and I've been craving this!

Bethany Carson said...

This is cruel. First I read Carrie's post at Northwoods Scrapbook about her cheesy chicken, and I'm hungry. Then before I can go eat, I head over to your blog, and what? Peach pie!! You ladies are teaming up on me, showing me all this good food! Looks so delicious, Mari!

Cherdecor said...

This looks soooo good! I love peach pie!

Judy said...

Oh Mari, that pie looks so good!

Jenny said...

Oh mercy! xoxo