Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cooking Thursday


I'm sharing one of our favorite soup recipes with you today. It's quite easy and goes together quickly. I usually mae it in the afternoon and then put it in the crock pot, as it burns easily if you leave it on the stove. You can serve it immediately after making it though, and leave out that step.
For more recipes, stop and see Sandra at Diary of a SAHM.



Cheesy Potato Soup

2 chicken bouillon soup
2 cups boiling water
4 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 quart milk
1/2 pound Velveeta, cubed
bacon bits or ham - optional

Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water in large saucepan. Add potatoes along with other vegetables. Bring to boiling, simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a 4 quart dutch oven over low heat. Blend in flour, stirring mix until smooth. Add 1 cup milk, then stir in remaining 3 cups milk. Stir constantly until slightly thickened.
When vegetables are cooked and tender, puree and stir into hot milk.
Heat to boiling. Stir in cheese.
Season with salt and pepper. Add bacon or ham if desired.

21 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Cheese and potatoes - two of my favorite things!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Sounds yummy!

Beth said...

Looks and sounds good. But my husband prefers a simple potatoe soup with some milk, butter, salt and pepper. It's a recipe of friends. It's actually kind of tricky to get it just right. I probably would prefer yours because I love cheese. He doesn't.

Susan said...

Potato soup. One of my favorites and what my mother always made for me when I was sick. I still make it alot and still want it when I'm not feeling well.

Sadie said...

This is what i want for dinner tonight! YUM!

Hootin Anni said...

I swear...when you compose your cooking posts, I tend to drool all over the keyboard. And today it's no exception. I love cheese, I love potato soup...so this'll be on our menu. Soon!!!

Happy Thursday Mari.

Pat said...

If I had Velveeta on hand I would make that for tonight. It sounds so good!
I love soup and through the winter almost always have a pot simmering.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh sweetie, one of my favorite soups and yours looks delicious. I could sure use some on this icy cold day.

Spoon please??? :o)

Have yourself a blessed warm fuzzy kinda day my friend!!!

Beth Cotell said...

Looks delicious! I'm going to have to give this a try!

Kari said...

thanks for the recipe. in this weather I'm on the lookout for soup recipes.
Happy Day!

Brooke said...

i do most of my soups in the crockpot - i'm too lazy to constantly stir & i don't want them to burn.

Anonymous said...

I have been hungry for potato soup and this sounds perfect!

Nancy said...

I wish I had some...sounds yummy....I guess I need to make some, uh?

Jenny said...

WOW. TG will be wild about this one. I may make it tomorrow! Thanks, Mari!

Betsy Brock said...

That looks delish! We eat a lot of soup during the cold months...so easy to make and so nice a cozy. :) We had cheesy broccoli tonight..very similar to this actually.

Kim said...

I'm drooling on my keyboard :) That's one of my favorite soups! Oh, how I miss Velveeta!

Raise Them Up said...

Mmmm. That looks like a great choice for this cold and snowy day!

I have a similar recipe, only I don't bother with the white sauce thing. I just let the potatoes thicken the soup as they cook. And sometimes I use a dab of cheeze whiz instead of velveta. I think mine has onions in it, too.

Stay warm!!

Sharon said...

That sure does sound like a wonderful recipe for a cold night like tonight.
I love cheese on anything.
Hugs

Sandra said...

Oh that sounds good :)

Laurie said...

I've been making a pot of soup once a week all winter! I finally dragged my breadmaker back upstairs and we had fresh bread with potato soup last night!

Christina said...

I am copying this one right now. I will make it this week. Looks so yummy and is right up my alley for sure. Glad to hear Andy will be home soon, Dominic is coming in mid March so they are both at the end of long tours Praise God. God Bless. Can't wait!!!!!!