Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Cooking Thursday

Todays recipe is for a salad that has an unusual ingredient - cornbread!  I got this recipe from a friend who took it to a work potluck quite a few years ago.  I make it regularly.  It looks pretty and tastes good.  You can't ask for more!


Chili Corn Bread Salad

1 pkg (8.5 oz) corn bread/muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground oregano
Mix all of above and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool.

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 envelope ranch salad dressing
Mix to make dressing.

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a 9x13 glass pan or a large glass bowl, crumble half of the corn bread. Spread half of the dressing over bread. Layer with half the beans, corn, tomatoes, pepper, onion, cilantro and cheese. Repeat layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

17 comments:

Jean said...

That looks and sounds absolutely scrumptious!!

Betsy Brock said...

I've been making this ever since you posted it years ago. It's still one of our favorites. And now Lauren makes it! Yum!

Dianna said...

I am so glad that you post this the night before. I thought I'd check in and see if I needed to pick up anything at the store tomorrow while I am in town.

I'm good on everything but a couple of items...thank you for your yummy recipes. I have a feeling this will be another one to add to the Mari section of my recipe book. :)

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Oh how I love this and havent thought of making it in ages.....now I will....:-)

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not a massive salad fan but that looks good!

Renee said...

Oh, Yum ~ I can't wait to try this one. It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

This looks so pretty and sounds delicious. Thx for a great recipe. Happy Mother's Day this weekend.

Linda said...

Hey, anything with cornbread is good, lol. Have a beautiful day friend.

Sally said...

This just may be one of another recipe you've shared, I'll have to try. Thanks, Mari!

xoxo

Kerin said...

Looks like a yummy salad, and perfect for summertime picnics :)
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Happy Mother's Day to you!
~K.

Terri D said...

This sounds (and looks) delicious!! Thanks Mari!!

Karen said...

This looks divine. I love cornbread:)

Saleslady371 said...

A meal in itself! My husband would love this.

Arlene G said...

One of my friends makes this salad. It is always a hit at church suppers.

Patsy said...

I have made this one time and it was good.
Don't know why I never made it again???

Henny Penny said...

Okay, this sounds really really good to me. I want to try it. It looks like something my husband will ask, "what in the world is this"! Drives me crazy! It looks delicious!

Cherdecor said...

This sounds like something the men in this house would love. I copied it!