Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Nut gatherer and a winner!


This is the state of our yard.  Not so good, right?
We have 6 oak trees in our front yard and with them comes acorns, lots of them!
A few years ago my friend Cheryl told me about something her husband used to gather nuts that worked really well.  However, Cheryl was living in Pennsylvania at the time and there were none in our area.
Late last Fall I found one in a nearby town and gave it to Bob for Christmas.
This weekend he got a chance to try it out.


Simply roll it over the lawn and the nuts or acorns go inside the wire basket.


Look at all these acorns after just a few swipes!
You know what's funny?  After looking for these for a few years, now that we have one - Bob tells me his store now has them in stock!
I'm told some people get them and use them in the house to pick up small toys like Legos.  :)

~~~~~

Last week I reviewed a book and got to choose one person who left a comment to get their own copy.
The winner of the Jonah book is comment #7 - Terri!
Congratulations Terri - you should receive your copy in the mail.

17 comments:

ancient one said...

Some people, around here, use those to pick up pecans. Goats love acorns!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I have never seen one of these. Have a good week.

Unknown said...

That looks like such a great tool! We would have had a lot of fun with that when we were growing up because we had walnuts galore at our home.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That is one of the coolest devices I've ever seen. I don't need one but I have to have it because it is so cool.

Unknown said...

I think that's an awesome tool, especially since it has duel uses. This is probably a stupid question but we have acorns here in Oregon as well and I'm wondering, "Are they edible?" If so, how would you eat them?"

Sweet Tea said...

That little contraption is "genius". Hope whoever thought of that makes a million dollars! Amazing!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a neat idea....We need one......

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a neat idea....We need one......

Anonymous said...

I have never seen one of those but it sure does look like a neat way to pick up acorns.
hugs

Terri said...

thanks - i can't wait to read this cute book!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh gosh- I need one of those!

Unknown said...

I have never seen one of those. Wonder if they would pick up walnuts?

Jean said...

I have never seen such a thing! What a great invention! We do not have any acorns in our yard, but lots of huge pine cones. Too big for that thing, I guess.

Nancy said...

My father in law used to use one of the gizmos for picking up pecans....They really do work....

Nancy said...

My father in law used to use one of the gizmos for picking up pecans....They really do work....

Rebecca said...

Wow! We sure could use one of these around our walnut tree. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of these at an estate sale or auction or something!

Jenny said...

How do the acorns get in and not back out? TG needs one of these! This past fall we had relatively few acorns but the year before that it was a regular bumper crop! Also I could use this indoors to pick up all the junk I drop on the floor; right? I drop basically everything.