Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Happy Birthday Dad


It was my dad's birthday last month and we finally had his party this weekend.  He is 82 and we all think he's a pretty special guy!


This year we had Bob do one of his carvings for him.  When Bob does a carving, he gets a few pictures of the person and is told a few things about them.  He then decides what to put into it.  Of course, in this case he knew his subject very well!

 

Here's the carving.  The brass plaque you see is the title which says "Grandpa's Loving Arms".
This is what Bob said on his FB page when he shared pictures of this one:

 "Earlier this year I was asked by my wife's family to do a carving of my Father-in-Law for his upcoming birthday. Dad has been a farmer, a truck driver for the road commision, among other things, but coming up with an idea for the carving pose was easy, he loves his grandkids and his God. So in the carving he has just gotten up from reading the Bible in his chair and is reaching down to pick up a grandchild."

Yes - that describes Dad very well!


 

Here's a closeup of the chair with the Bible.

You may remember that Dad has had some heart problems lately.  He's been doing quite well in the last month, but still has some recurring issues so will be having another heart ablation on Wednesday.  We'd appreciate your prayers for him!
 

24 comments:

Jenny said...

Precious. I love Bob's carvings. They are so touching. Happy Birthday to your dear dad.

Anna Bailee (Chelsea) said...

Yeah, he is a pretty special guy...to anybody who knows him. The carving was great! There was definitely a lot put into this one.

Betsy Brock said...

Bob does amazing artwork! I'm so impressed...it's just wonderful! I bet your dad loved this! happy birthday to him and I hope all goes well on Wednesday!

Kathy said...

I can't believe his talent! WOW!!! I'm in awe, to put it mildly. I love how he thoughtfully came up with two things that really capture the honoree! I know this must've really touched him.

Justabeachkat said...

Amazing! I know your Dad must have been touched. The two things it depicts...reading his bible and loving his grandchildren...are two things I hope I'm remembered by too.

Hugs,
Kat

Unknown said...

I say it often but Bob is so very talented. How long did it take for him to finish?

I LOVE it and the story behind it. He loves His God and His Grandchildren. Awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Mari, these pictures (and the carving) are so precious.I love the summary of your Dad loving his God and his grandkids! That would have been your Mom also. My last remembrances of talking with your Mom were about how much she loved all the grandkids. Two days ago I put a picture of my Dad reading the Bible with all of us while camping at CRCG on a frame with the words "Great is Thy Faithfulness". This carving reminded me of that. What a wonderful heritage we have from our parents!!

Sylvia said...

That's am amazing carving - and what a wonderful tribute to your dad.

Terri said...

That carving surely does represent him - what a blessing we have with him being our Dad! (I thought you were going to crop me out!)

Connie said...

What talent! You are so fortunate to see and feel the love of your father and not just with your memories of him. Great is Thy Faithfulness..........

Cheri said...

I love Maureen's comment that that described mom as well. How blessed we were and are to have them as our parents!

Anonymous said...

A belated happy birthday to your dad. I will also include prayers
Bob did a wonderful job.
Hugs

Betty W said...

Happy birthday to your dad! I love love love the carving Bob made for him!!

Brooke said...

Bob did a great job!! praying for your dad (and you!)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift! Happy birthday and healing prayers on the way.

Cherdecor said...

Happy Birthday to your dad and we will be praying for him on Wednesday.

Bob has a very special gift. I wonder how it feels to be so gifted? Very few people can do what he does.

I am also glad that you didn't crop Terri out. Isn't that a good picture of her?

LL Cool Joe said...

That carving is great! What lovely details. I will pray for your Dad, right now!!


Happy Birthday to your Father!

D said...

I think that may be Bob's best carving to date (that I've seen) love it.

Jean said...

I just can't get over Bob's carvings!!! What a special one this is. I love what her wrote too.

Sue O said...

Your Bob has such a talent! That was a perfect gift for a loved Dad and Grandpa.

Raise Them Up said...

I hate not keeping up with you like I'd like these days! I hope your dad's proceedure did the trick and that he is feeling better! I'm praying for him tonight. Love the carving, too! It's perfect.

Raise Them Up said...

I hate not keeping up with you like I'd like these days! I hope your dad's proceedure did the trick and that he is feeling better! I'm praying for him tonight. Love the carving, too! It's perfect.

Raise Them Up said...

I hate not keeping up with you like I'd like these days! I hope your dad's proceedure did the trick and that he is feeling better! I'm praying for him tonight. Love the carving, too! It's perfect.

Raise Them Up said...

I hate not keeping up with you like I'd like these days! I hope your dad's proceedure did the trick and that he is feeling better! I'm praying for him tonight. Love the carving, too! It's perfect.