Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Drying out...

Things are improving here in West Michigan! It's still very wet, but the river is going down and is no longer above flood stage.  There are still people who can't get into their homes and some businesses are still closed, but the roads are open again.  We still have some extra people at our Nursing Home for a few weeks until the home that was evacuated is able to be renovated.  They've settled in well.
There were record flood levels all along the river from the East of Grand Rapids all the way to the lake.  Speaking of the lake, Lake Michigan is now 8 inches higher.  I think that's incredible, when you think of the size of that lake!
For those that asked - we had no flood damage.  Our house stayed dry and we're really thankful for that.  If you saw the picture that showed my car and the damage I caused when I backed into a tree :(  it's scheduled to be fixed on Wednesday.
I had to share these pictures with you.  They were taken by a satellite that passed over Michigan and they show the difference a few weeks of rain can make.


This one was taken the day before the rain started.  Notice the brownish color compared to the green below.


This one was taken this past Friday when the water had already started to go down.  You see how many more blue spots or lakes show up.  Also that squiggly line going through the middle is the Grand River.  You can see that it's much thicker than in the previous shot.
I think it's really neat to see how much change you can see from that far up!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

I am so glad the water is receding and hopefully everyone can get back to normal....I feel so sorry for people who have lost so much from excess water...your area as well as lots of other place in the US have really suffered this past year....

I hope your car will be fine soon....

ancient one said...

I'm glad you stayed dry. :)

Debbie Jones said...

Glad to hear that things are drying out and that your home was undamaged. Last summer was so dry and now flooding this spring. Glad you are all OK. Have a good week.

Syrone said...

Glad to hear that you're getting a break from the flooding. It's so scary when the elderly have to be displaced. It's great that they were able to be accommodated. Take care!!

Marsha Young said...

So glad to hear that you are "high and dry" - in your case that is a GOOD thing. :)
And that HUGE lake being up 8 inches is just unbelievable.
Hope your week is a good one.

Unknown said...

Good to hear you are drying out and your week ahead will be a good one.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about the improvements and that you are dry at your home.
Hugs

Brooke said...

hopefully all will be back to normal soon!

Jenny said...

That is truly amazing, those satellite images. I think we can safely say spring has come to Michigan. I'm so glad y'all stayed dry. Water damage is so devastating. Happy Monday!

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm glad the water levels are going down and that your house didn't suffer any water damage. I hope things get back to normal for you all soon!

Unknown said...

I couldn't believe it when some of my friends were posting pictures on facebook. Absolutely incredible. I am glad you are drying out.

Terri D said...

So glad things are drying out some for you. I'm originally from Ohio and now live in Florida - I know about flooding. Water and fire - two things you just can't stop.