Pages

Monday, August 26, 2024

Spending time with Cassie

You may remember that although our granddaughter Cassie likes to come over, and says she's staying overnight, it hasn't gone well in the past, and we've ended up taking her home.
She was going to be staying with us when her new brother was born and since Andrew would be staying at the hospital, there wasn't going to be the option of going home.  We were all worried about how that was going to go, and Heather and Andrew kept talking to her to remind her that she had to stay.  


Here she is on the first evening.  She had lots of fun playing, but as bedtime got closer we started hearing "I miss Papa and Mama".  We reminded her they were at the hospital and couldn't come home yet.





Here's Bob with her in the rocking chair, reading a book before bed. She cried a little but then went to bed and only woke up once.  She went right back to sleep when I checked on her.


We found out she's wide eyed and talkative in the morning.  I love hearing that cheery little voice first thing!
She slept well the other nights, just a few tears before bedtime and we all told her how proud we were of her.

Here's some photos of things we did while she was with us.




She loves playing in our family room downstairs and getting out the Matryoshka dolls. We have a playhouse and lots of kitchen toys down there. She takes our orders and serves us with a smile!




We visited the ponies down the road and fed them apples.




We used an idea from Jenny the Pirate and went on an adventure walk.  We put packing tape around her arm, sticky side out and she collected pretty things she found to put on it.  



One morning she surprised us by dressing herself.  She wasn't at all worried about putting on pajamas from different sets and tennis shoes with them!








We played on Grandpa and Grandma's "playground"



We went to the Dollar Store and she picked out slime, but this slime had a ball in it that lit up.  Here she is playing with it, and the light up ball is by her Mr Ted.  She kept saying "How cool is that?"  Best $1.25 I ever spent!




One morning she decided I needed to take her picture with about every stuffed animal she could find in the house.  :)






She did some bike riding...







and some porch sitting, but not too long because she doesn't really believe in sitting!




She found flowers in the yard for her mom, but we knew they wouldn't make it home so I tried to get a picture, but she kept closing her eyes!





Before we knew it, it was time to go back home.  I had her sitting on our bathroom counter to get ready and I thought she looked so cute sitting there with the bear so I snapped this photo.

She was happy to be home with her family and we were tired out!  But we had such fun and we think our house is a little too quiet now.

28 comments:

Debby said...

She is so darn cute. Hmm, which photo of her is my favorite? The ones on the swing are great - her fashion statement is hysterical! Too cute. The one by the mirror should be framed! The one with her eyes closed with the flower as if she is making a wish is a great photo. Heck all of them are perfect. You’re a good “picture-taker” and I think you really captured her in many different moods.
Hooray she overcame her reluctance about sleeping over. Hopefully it continues!
❤️

Miss Merry said...

What precious photos of the great adventure! It sounds like she had a lovely time (and so did gramma and grampa!). She is just delightful!!!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This has maybe done the trick of her not wanting to spend the night! She knows now it will be fine! You got gorgeous pics of her, and found the best things to keep her occupied and happy!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! Cassie is such a doll. So glad that she could be with you and Bob when her mom and dad were at the hospital getting that darling new baby brother. Sounds like she did really well. Great pictures of Cassie. I know you will always treasure the memories of the time with her with Conner was born. I hope you have a good week.

roentare said...

Cassie looks like a genuinely happy girl. Love the warm pics

Donna said...

She is SO beautiful! I love all the photos of her! Especially the one with the flowers and her eyes closed...Looks like she's making a wish...
I always tell Samantha, when she brings Sloane for a visit, to just bring her "papers" (as in adoption) along with her...lolol...She never does! lol
hugs
Donna

Sparky said...

Cassie is so cute! I would be have been around the horses too at her age. I still like to look at them. Such beautiful animals. She's so fortunate to have two loving grandparents like y'all. Those photos made me smile. I hope the new little one and Mama are still doing well also. Such a darling family. 💙

R's Rue said...

What a beautiful girl.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Changes in the wind said...

Love all the pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh I loved each photo. She is so beautiful, and she seems like such a gentle girl. It was good experience she learned to stay overnight and see she could do it.
I don't know Jenny the Pirate - but I love that idea about the taper around her arm and taping interesting things on it. I hope I remember that.
Love the Dollar Store.
I remember my Kelly dressing herself like that - thanks for the memory.
Well, last but not least - I love the picture of her closing her eyes - she looked like an angel.

Susan said...

Hi Mari, I am glad she is getting used to spending the night. I love the picture with her eyes closed. All the pictures were great. Thanks for sharing!

Latane Barton said...

She is just the cutest little pixie! I know you enjoyed her.

Terri D said...

Hooray on being so brave to stay all night at your house!! She is adorable to the max!! I know she will be a fantastic big sister!! I love the packing tape idea!! Tucked it away for future uses!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Awwww, so glad she did okay with spending the nights! We had a granddaughter who used to change her mind when it got late...sometimes her mama was at work, and she had no choice. I think she had lots of fun, but along with the quiet house, I'm sure you guys were like, "ahhhh"....(how did we used to do it?!)

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh my word WHAAAAT??? These pictures! Be still me poor pirate heart! They are all amazing but the one riding the bike is my favorite! I am saving all of these in my RubyAlainaCassie folder! What a dollbaby Cassie is. I love that little face. I'm so proud of her for doing well at bedtime! xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh and BTW that tape-on-the-wrist thing was not original with me! I wish it had been but I saw it on Instagram, hahaha! xoxo

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, what a lovely time you all had together! I know she will remember this forever, and I love that you captured so many moments on camera! I can well imagine that your house seems a bit too quiet now. Hopefully she will be more eager to stay the night with you from now on, now that she knows she can do it like a big girl! Hope the new baby brother is doing well!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

She is so adorable! And growing up so fast!! Sure sounds like she's definitely turned a corner being a big Girl and staying at Grandma & Grandpa's is much easier now. You have such a beautiful family and your grandkiddos are absolute treasures with the best grandparents around. :) 💗

Michelle said...

She is a cutie! Nice that you could have this time with her.

Dianna said...

Oh this child! She is so beautiful! I can really see Heather in Cassie's facial features now. She's just so tiny and petite. And you really outdid your photographer self with that last picture of her sitting on the bathroom counter. Her reflection in the mirror is just precious.

HappyK said...

Cassie is adorable. So glad all went well with the sleep overs.

acorn hollow said...

She is so sweet and brave to stay with you when she was missing mom and dad. Now a brand-new sibling!
cathy

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Aww, she is just too cute.
Looks like she had a fun time.

Mandy said...

I absolutely love the picture of her sitting in the chair on your porch! That’s a framer! Of course, every picture of her is just so cute! 😍 I’m so glad she did so great! And I love her Mr. Ted! ♥️ I have the same one! I love those Beanie Babies! Haha! That idea of putting tape around her wrist is genius! I’ll have to remember that for the next time I’m around a little one.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a beautiful collection of photographs.

All the best Jan

Kim said...

She really is a doll! I remember wanting to go home at bedtime when I was little, too, so I get it. Actually, not much has changed! Haha!! I guess once a homebody, always a homebody!!

Jean said...

Oh my goodness!!! This is the most adorable post!! I can so relate to every part of it!! I'm glad she got past the hurdle of staying overnight. She is SO darling!!!!

Catherine said...

I love to see Cassie she is very photogenic!
Cute little girl.