Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Cooking Thursday

My Friend Jenny, from I'm Having a Thought Here, posted a recipe for ham buns that she said were wonderful.  We usually have some sort of hot sandwich or bun on Sunday nights, and I had ham from Christmas in the freezer, so when I saw this one, I knew I had to try it.
They were really good!  They have a brown sugar and mustard sauce, which goes well with the ham. I think the brown sugar on a sandwich is why they are named what they are.  They're a bit messy to eat, but worth the mess.  Bob gave these a big thumbs up and says thanks, Jenny!



Naughty Hammie Sammies

12 Sister Schuberts Rolls, thawed
3/4 pound shaved ham, or leftover ham chopped in small pieces
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon minced onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Slice rolls through the middle. Place bottom half in 9x13 pan, set tops aside in a manner that will allow you to put them with their other half.
In a small pot, melt the stick of butter, brown sugar, mustard and minced onion. Bring to boil and removed from heat.
Drizzle half of this sauce over the bottom half of the rolls.
Lay the ham on top of the sauce, in an even layer.
Drizzle the remaining brown sugar mix over the ham.
Place the top of the rolls back on.
Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter and stir in the poppy seeds. and brush over the tops of the rolls.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

When I read here post about these, I immediately printed the recipe. Looking forward to making them.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thanks, Mari. I am going to give these a try. I have some leftover ham in the freezer I need to use and this will be the perfect recipe.

Dianna said...

Those look delicious!

R's Rue said...

Yum

Jeanette said...

I saw those on Jennys blog. They sure do look good!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh these are heavenly!!! BTW I have made three pans of these and each time I used a whole pound of shaved ham. And I completely missed the part about covering them with foil, hahaha! I did not do that. They were still heavenly. I'm so glad y'all liked them! xoxo

happyone said...

Yummy, that's making me hungry.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh my word these make my mouth water just reading about them! I think adding cheese might even be amazing too? Of course I'm a cheesehead so I would think that. Lol Thanks for sharing! :)

Lowcarb team member said...

They look and sound good :)

All the best Jan

Terri D said...

I love Sister Schubert's rolls and keep them in the freezer! Yum!! Thanks for this recipe, Mari!! Another keeper!

Sola Scriptura said...

I’ve never heard of brown sugar and mustard combined. Very interesting. I imagine it is really nice.

Doris said...

These are so good. My DIL made them, even some that were gf, before Christmas, so yummy!

Prims By The Water said...

oooh...I will need to make these...plus so easy for a weeknight meal TFS Janice

Catherine said...

Brown sugar and mustard. Sauce goes well with ham must be delicious 😋

Debi said...

I make a sandwich very similar to this and it is delicious. You are right, it's the sauce that takes it over the top!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

It looks yummy.