Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Bomb cyclone snowstorm

Hi there!  We are digging out of the snow here.  Last week I told you about the storm we had over the weekend and that it was still snowing.  Well, it continued.  I heard on the news that our area had measurable snow fall for 12 days straight. 
I was actually at home for a whole week, other than one day when I attempted to take a drive to take some pictures.  I was barely down the road when I realized this was a bad idea and I came back home.  Schools were closed for 3 days, churches were closed along with other activities.
Not only was there a lot of snow but it was soooo cold. Last Tuesday when Bob went to work it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Our office had several days of everyone working from home, which I was very thankful for after working for years where I needed to get there.

This week temps are supposed to be above freezing and it's supposed to rain!  So we may have some mud around here.

I've never seen so much snow hang on the buildings and trees for so long as it did this time.  Here's some photos of the view around here.


A friends house




This car had been parked in a parking lot and not moved for the week.




Our back yard. You can see how high the snow is on Bob's legs. He was worried about that power line that comes from the main line to our house.  The pine trees branches were so weighted down with snow they were pulling on the line.  He ended up hauling a ladder out there and using his pole saw to clip a few of them off.  I was watching from the house, worrying he would hurt himself!  Ice, snow ladders and electricity are not a good mix!




These woods by our house looked so pretty!




Our Japanese maple was so weighted down that it's branches were on the ground.




Our road, in front of our house






Our house, all cozy in the snow.

It's beautiful, but I'm glad it's done, the roads are clear and it's going to be a little warmer!


"He spreads the snow like wool, and the frost like ashes"
Psalm 147:16




26 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow,very impressive photos. But beautiful as well. The first one is unbelievable! Do you know what the accumulation was? Our snow is apparently over as well, and it is to rain for about four days.

Mari said...

Ginny - the last measurement I heard was 24 inches, and it still snowed more after that!

Terra said...

Your photos show the beauty of snow, but that is incredibly thick snow, especially on the top of that parked car. That amount of snow gets very heavy.

Debi said...

Oh my goodness... what a lot of snow! It is beautiful though... especially if you don't have to go out in it. Glad you were able to work from home. We only got about four or five inches but it was windy and bitter cold all week. Stay warm!

Mandy said...

Whoa! 😮 That is an incredible amount of snow! Yikes! I’m so glad y’all have stayed safe and warm!

Donna said...

OmWord!! Poor Bob!! He looks so tiny by that tree!!
You poor things! That is a Lot of snow!
Makes me ashamed for whining about a little ice!
Y'all be super safe!!!
hugs
Donna

Terri D said...

A winter wonderland, for sure. It looks so pretty from where I sit but I do remember the anxiety and the problems all that wet snow causes - including mud when it starts to melt. Yikes! I'm so glad you got to work from home and didn't have to get out and go far. I notice that your roof maintains the snow showing you have good insulation!! Stay warm and stay safe, both of you!! xo

Jeanette said...

Wow! You did get a lot of snow. The only downside to living closer to a great lake is the lake effect snow! That last picture would make a perfect Christmas card! You could photoshop a Christmas tree on it!

R's Rue said...

Wow

Suemn said...

I'll chime in with a "Wow!" too:) You really did get hit with the snow.

Debby said...

That is amazing. It does make for beautiful photos. Glad you’re on the other side and things will be warming up for spring soon.

DUTA said...

The little parked car looks rather hilarious under the snow cover!
However, all the pictures, perhaps except the one with the down japanese maple branches, look awesome!

Dianna said...

What beautiful pictures and beauty of God's creation, but we definitely reach a point where we are ready for sunshine and warm temperatures. I'm so glad that you did not have to be out on the roads for work during all of that...and that the Lord looked after Bob out there at the power line!

Kim said...

That is a crazy amount of snow!! Yowza!! I haven't seen that much here in years. Thank goodness! Haha. We do have snow now, but it's a dusting compared to your totals. I hope it warms up soon. We're supposed to be out of the teens this week. I can't wait.

happyone said...

Wonderful photos of the snow. It sure is beautiful. Looks just like it does around where I live. :)

Happy@Home said...

Your house really does look cozy in that snowy setting.
When that many places close in Michigan, it's sure to mean a ton of snow and cold weather. Here in NC the schools close when the first flakes start falling. LOL
I don't blame you for feeling worried about your husband out there in those conditions. Glad it worked out well.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Holy moly! Looks like many of the winters we've had up here! Lol It is so pretty - but so scary too. I"m so glad Bob was unscathed with his brave wire job. Lol 🙏🏻 I'm so glad you're going to get warmer temps too. I'm looking forward to much better temps here too!

Sparky said...

Oh my gosh, y'all are a lot tougher than me. Stay warm and safe.
Lovely photos though. I can almost feel the cold.
Blessings. xx

Pam said...

And that is why I could never live in the north! I hate it when we get mere inches but that amount of snow would send me to the looney bin! Glad you get to work from home! Hopefully we will all thaw out soon!

Grace & Peace,
Pam

Sola Scriptura said...

That is a lot of snow. We get an inch of snow here and everything closes.

Jennifer said...

Your house and property are beautiful in the snow! I found your blog through the giveaway Marilyn Moseley did for my book, Venture. I'm so glad you won! I'd love for you to stop by my website and leave feedback. Tell me what you liked and what you didn't. :-)

Many blessings,
Jennifer Self

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness me! That is a lot of snow!
Great photographs.

All the best Jan

Great-Granny Grandma said...

The photos are beautiful, and I loved the tiny pops of color in some of them.
I've never seen anything like that huge pile of snow on the roof of the car in the parking lot. It's almost as big as the car. Wow!

Prims By The Water said...

WOW you got a lot of snow. We had freezing rain, but now it turned back to rain and nothing. Janice

Jean said...

Wow!! These pictures are amazing! I'm so glad you were able to stay home.

I remember one time in 1996 when we got 2 or 3 feet of snow and then a few days later another 8 inches. I had to go pick up one of the boys from a friend's house, and I remember it was so disillusioning. The road was white and there were white banks on each side. It was hard to see where the edge of the road was. Obviously I was a lot younger and braver than I am now!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Truly breathtaking! That was a whopper of a storm for sure. What is that thing that looks like a door standing up in the snow in the picture where Bon is taking his life into his own hands? Hahahah xoxo