Pages

Sunday, July 9, 2017

What a storm!

We had a huge storm on Thursday night.  Bob and I woke up at 3am to pounding rain, thunder, lightning, terrible wind and no power.  Friday morning we woke to sunshine, a beautiful day, no power in most of West Michigan and lots of damage.

Here are a few pictures I took around the area, and a few that I got from friends and family.


In our yard, the damage was minimal, lots of leaves and branches on the ground.


 Streets were covered with debris.




Some streets were closed because power lines were down.





Some streets were closed because trees were down.



















Our nephew's truck was buried under branches, but had only minimal damage.



 At our daughter Laura's house, this tree split nearly in half and fell through the fence.



Their neighbors are unable to use their back yard at the moment because it's filled with a tree.




 Some other friends were on vacation, and were camping.  I can't imagine what it was like to be in a camper on that night.  We're thankful for their safety!  When they came home, they found lots of big trees down in their yard.



Some other friends had this tree come down on their house.  They are ok, but have some work ahead of them, and some repair to be done!


We are told the winds reached 90 mph in our area, and 12 miles to the west it was recorded at 100 mph.  In that area a man died when a tree fell on his house as he slept.
Our power was restored late Friday morning, but many people still have no power.  Crews have come from as far away as Tennessee to help.
We lost our cable and internet also and that was not restored until late Saturday evening.  So, I've been unable to visit you, but will be trying to catch up.
We are thankful for safety during this storm, and at the end of it, we're thankful for things like running water and electricity!


"He who forms the mountains, who creates the wind, and who reveals his thoughts to mankind, who turns dawn to darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth-- the LORD God Almighty is his name."
Amos 4:13

22 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

That looks horrible - so much damage. We just never know when a storm is coming, whether it is a light one or bad like that one you all suffered. Thankful you were not injured and hoping everything can be cleaned up and back to normal soon.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh my it looks and sounds very scary, I'm glad you and your family and friends are all okay. When you see the size of those trees and their roots you realise just how strong nature can be.

Amy at love made my home said...

Glad you are OK, hope all will be well for your friends and family too.

Arlene G said...

Seeing those old trees uprooted is so sad. We have had so much rain this summer that I worry about trees falling if we have a wind storm. So glad your pretty yard was spared Mari.

Anonymous said...

So sad for the loss of life and so much damage. Thankful you were safe.

Linda said...

Me thinks, it was a small EF 0-1 tornado...wow....glad everything is alright. It seems it is summer, time for such weather, smiles.

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness, Mari! The power of wind and water is so scary! I'm glad to hear you and yours are okay and had minimal damage compared to so many others. So sorry to read about the man who died. We sure never know what the dawn will bring. Hugs.

Doris said...

Wow! Glad you are ok.....that's a lot of downed trees around you!

Hootin Anni said...

My goodness!!! What terrible damage!!! How sad to see this. Hope that is the ONLY bad storm for the season [or longer]!

Hootin Anni said...

ps...LOVE the 4th of July post. Those girls, in red white and blue outfits; adorable. And the BBQ....yummy of course. Hey...I'm just gonna have to buy me some bubbles. I always enjoyed them when our kids were little. Why not now? Yep, gonna have to buy me some. lol

Karen said...

It's amazing that more people weren't hurt. We have strong winds in our area, but have never seen the kind of devastation in your photos. Unbelievable.

Cherdecor said...

I can't believe that I didn't hear about this! I knew that Terri was without power for a while but didn't know the reason. I am so sorry for all of you. How frightening! Thank the Lord that you are all okay! As I looked through your pictures, I couldn't help but see the hand of God's protection on all of you......like your nephew's truck. Amazing! Like Laura's tree fell away from the house. And many other trees fell opposite of houses and when they did fall on a house, minor damage or damage that was fixable. I am so sorry about the man who was killed. However, it could have been so much worse. Thank you for telling me about it. That same system came down on us but as usual it went around us and the second one fizzled out. This has been an unusual summer for heavy rains and storms. Even so, God's hand was upon you.

Sally said...

Oh goodness! Happy you are all safe, and so very sorry for the loss of life.

Seeing the trees makes me even more conscious of the ones around here; every time it storms I pray a lot.

xoxo

Patsy said...

Glad you and family are okay.
We have been having same of the same.
City is just full of old tress that come
down. We have not suffered power out but many have.
Lots of clean up for you in the yards.

Laura said...

It definitely was a crazy storm. Those pictures are amazing - the one showing the sod around the tree ripped out is cool. We got all the branches off the tree with our neighbors yesterday and dragged into the side yard, the whole yard is full! I heard there was also a teenage girl in Jenison who was trapped in her bedroom when a tree fell on their house, but thank goodness she's ok too.

Jenny said...

This is terrifying, Mari. I'm so thankful you are safe. I didn't know about this when it was going on but if I had, I certainly would have prayed for you. I have a phobia of falling trees since we live surrounded by massive ones, especially the pines. I hope the cleanup process for everyone is not too arduous and that things can be back to (what passes for) normal soon. And I really like your new blog design. Well done. xoxo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Wow! That's scary! We had some rain but no big storms. Thank goodness you guys are all okay. We sure can't ever take Mother Nature for granted. Yikes!xoxo

Saleslady371 said...

This damage is severe and I'm glad you were safe in it all. Love the Amos verse, praise God for His protection on you and your family.

Dianna said...

Oh Mari, I am so sorry to learn of this horrible storm that you, your family and friends endured. I am so thankful that you all are okay. Some of the pictures were unreal because of the damage! I will be remembering those who had extensive damage during this time.

I also have to say that I really love your new look here, my friend! The header is gorgeous! and everything just looks so clean and fresh! Love it!

Michelle said...

Sorry to see all of the damage. Glad you and your family are safe. Storms like this are so dangerous.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Wow! That was quite a storm! I've been in several storms like that, that seem like a mini-tornado went through, and the damage is incredible. So sad to see those old trees breaking up like that. Thankful that all is well with your family and friends, so sad to hear that someone died in the storm. What a big cleanup job that must be going on with all those downed trees!

Jean said...

I'm so sorry about all the damage to your area. Isn't it something when a tree blows over and pulls so much of the soil underneath it right out of the ground with the roots?