Pages

Monday, July 31, 2017

Shipshewana

I had a fun outing during my vacation week.  My sister Cheri and niece Halle had planned a day trip to Shipshewana, Indiana and when they found I had that day off, the invited me along.  Shipshewana is a town that is in the middle of an Amish community.  It is known for the huge flea market that occurs weekly.  We didn't go to the flea market, but visited many of the cute little shops in the area, and enjoyed the beauty of the area, along with seeing all the Amish things which we don't see in our area.


We saw many Amish homes with clothes hanging on the lines.



I love seeing all the buggy's on the road.








Another thing you see a lot of is bikes.  I'm sure the Amish people are healthier with all the fresh air, non-processed foods and exercise they get.



We stopped in a large grocery store.  It has all kinds of things in bulk.



It's interesting to see bikes, wagons and things like that sold along with groceries.



They even sell these old fashioned wash tubs.



Another place we stopped at sells lots of Amish made furniture, both for inside and outside the house.  Cheri and Halle said this glider bench was very comfortable.



Another thing we did was to take a carriage ride.




We had a 20 minute ride on this beautiful afternoon.




We went over this covered bridge which was built by an Amish man, constructed with no nails, just using mortise and tenon joints.



Here's the bridge from the side.  Such a pretty view!



Our last stop was the Das Dutchman Essenhaus Restaurant.  It is the largest restaurant in Indiana and seats 1100 people!  It's known for it home-style Amish food and homemade pies.
We had a wonderful supper and then headed home.
It was a fun way to spend a vacation day.  Thanks Cheri and Halle for letting me tag along!  :)

17 comments:

Arlene G said...

Now I have another place on my list of places to visit.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Such a pretty part of our country and glad you got to spend the day enjoying it.

Karen said...

I can see one of those wash tubs on my porch filled with flowers. What a lovely day you had.

Amy at love made my home said...

What a wonderful day out! The wash tubs are wonderful aren't they, but I am glad I don't have to use one!

Linda said...

My kind of day...smiles. Thank you for sharing. smiles

Michelle said...

This is my kind of day, although I might have stopped by the flea market :)

Changes in the wind said...

Awesome experience...

Sally said...

How fun! I love excursions like that. We have a cousin who lives in Amish country in Pennsylvania, and they love it although they're not Amish.

:)

xoxo

sara said...

oh my gosh you made me homesick!! I lived in IN for 8 years and Shipshewana was a regular visit for us. And those PIES!!!! my mouth just started watering when you mentioned the restaurant.....did you have chicken and noodles?

Saleslady371 said...

Looks like a fun day. I like the Amish people and man, can they cook.

Doris said...

Day trips are so nice. We had lots more Amish where we used to live but of course they are all over Lancaster County! Our Amish don't ride bikes, just scooters, probably hand made. Thanks for sharing your day!

Terri D said...

What a fun day!! Wish I could have tagged along too! That restaurant is really something! 1,100 people! Wow!

Laura said...

What a fun day! Glad you got to go! :)

Cherdecor said...

This place reminds me of Lancaster County. You had such a delightful day.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hi Sweetie! Catching up. Love seeing how you spent your vacation time! Looks like it was perfect. From daughters time...to fun trip to Amish country. Such a beautiful area. That bridge is like a picture!

Hope the rest of your week is blessed. xoxo

Dianna said...

Oh, what a fun way to spend a day! We have a small Amish and Mennonite community about an hour from our home. That is where we go to the bulk food store to buy our flours, etc. that I use in baking. And the spices and herbs! They are hard working people.

I'm so glad that you are back!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous country. Now I want some homemade pie. xoxo