Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Vacation report

Hope you are ready to hear about our vacation. I'm splitting this into several posts so you don't have too many pictures to look at at once!
We left Monday morning, planning to drive to Mackinaw City.

We stopped near Boyne City at a Lavender Farm. I love lavender and it was neat to see the hills covered in it. I'm sure it's gorgeous when it's all blooming!
There was a little store there with lavender products of every kind, from sachets to lotion to jelly! I bought a few sachets which I'm already enjoying.


This big metal chicken was next to the barn, overlooking the hills of lavender.

After that stop, it wasn't too long till we arrived in Mackinaw City. We did a little shopping, then made our way to our hotel.
I took this shot from the little balcony outside our room. It was great to open a door and look out at Lake Huron. If we looked to the left, we could see the Mackinac Bridge.


After eating supper, we did a little wandering around. This is the lighthouse in Mackinaw City.



This is Colonial Michilimackinac at sunset. It's a 1700's era Fort that has people re-enacting what was happening at that time. We didn't go in this time, but have been there several times before and always enjoy that feeling of stepping back in time.


The Mackinac Bridge!
It was completed in 1957 and is the 3rd longest suspension bridge in the world.


We had a beautiful full moon to enjoy as it shone over Lake Huron.
What a great start to a week off!


17 comments:

Unknown said...

It all looks so relaxing!!! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...

Nancy said...

Mari, thank you so much for your sweet comments you left for me.....You are a very special friend....

I love looking at your vacation pictures...I too love lavender and that chicken is great....Beautiful lake....
I know you had a great time....

Hugs and blessings,
Nancy

ancient one said...

These are beautiful pictures to start your vacation. I liked all of them. The chicken, the bridge, the lighthouse, the fort and the moon over the water... looking forward to the next post!

sara said...

so beautiful!!!! One of the things I regret not doing while I lived in South Bend was going up to Mackinac Island.

Anonymous said...

The photos are so beautiful. Makes me miss the U.S. I can't wait to see more pics from your vacation! :) Now to go read the back issues of your Blog. ha!

Kim, USA said...

Hi Mari, oh my that's why we have to be a tourist in our own state because I don't know we have lavender farm!! I've been checking other states but didn't know it just in my backyard lol!! Now I knew we have one it's on the list for next years vacation getaway. By the way, if you don't have any special date this coming October 1, check on this 2nd Annual World Wide Photo Walk, http://www.myphotographyinfocus.com/2011/09/attention-all-michigandersmichiganian.html I posted some links on my website and if you are interested to join and you can find a closer "walk leader" in your area I am inviting you. I will be in Kensington Metro Park it's closer to my area and I haven't been to this park too. This would be fun, check on the website. Happy Tuesday!

Barn Charm

Connie said...

Beautiful pictures...lots of memories for you and your hubby.

Shelly said...

Great post. I am looking forward to the rest of the story!

Brooke said...

gorgeous!! :)

Pat said...

Once again...so much to see without leaving our beautiful state!
Those lavender fields could be a picture taken in France, so beautiful with the rolling hills in the background.
Love the chicken, the view from the hotel, the Mighty Mac....then who thing! Can't wait to see more!

Raise Them Up said...

What a beautiful spot! I love the suspension bridge picture!

Beth Cotell said...

Looks like a great start to your vacation! Your pictures look very professional!

Betty W said...

What a great place to make a vacation. I love your pics and it gave me the feeling of peace. I bet it was great!

LuAnn said...

Looks relaxing Mari!!!

I was over that bridge about 30 yrs ago. Love the Island too.

Karen said...

Beautiful pictures! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip. I've not been to this part of the country, but would love to visit someday.

Sylvia said...

So enjoyed the pictures of your first day Mari.Learn so much about U.S from blogs! We have a lavender farm fairly near us (love it) but I had no idea that lavender was grown in the States. Fascinating. Look forward to tomorrow's instalment.

Sharon said...

Mari I truly enjoy the tour of your state and it is sure interesting.
I would love to see the lavender farm.
I can not wait to see the rest of this trip.
Hugs