Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Marquette

This was what we saw when we opened the curtains in our hotel Wednesday morning. It was raining and windy, but this was a beautiful sight!

We drove about an hour to Marquette and again checked at an information center for things to do there. As it was still raining occasionally, we started with some things we could do inside.


This is St Peters Cathedral, a beautiful old church built in 1881.


I love these big wooden doors!



The stained glass windows were beautiful.


This is the Marquette county courthouse. It was built in 1902-1904. In 1913, President Theodore Roosevelt tried a case for libel here against a nearby newspaper. He won 6 cents - "the price of a good newspaper".


This is an old ore loading dock. Huge ships would pull up to the side of it and the chutes would be lowered for the ore to pour into the ship. This dock is bigger than it looks in the picture - 2 rows of railroad cars rode on top of it, loaded with the ore.



All these little shanties lined the pier.



This is an old dock that is deteriorating.



And another old dock. It's closed off so no one can walk on it. It doesn't look like something I would want to walk on!



Another deteriorating dock. The sea gulls like it!


The Marquette Harbor Lighthouse.


Here we are waiting to tour it.


We climbed these stairs to do the tour. How would you like to haul your groceries up these steps?



An end of the day shot - walking along the shore.

Although it rained a lot throughout the day, by evening the sun was shining. Marquette is another beautiful old city in the U.P.

Tomorrow I'll share the last of my pictures.

 

14 comments:

Heather said...

I love the pictures of the church; it is such a beautiful building! Looks like you had another great day even though it was a little cold and rainy!

Pat said...

I love seeing your pictures, they are so pretty! Eve docks that have seen better days are so interesting!
I don't think I've ever been to Marquette, although I have a cousin who is a professor in the University up there.
I can't wait to see more!

Karin said...

Love the photos of all these fascinating places! Thanks!

Erika Jean said...

Looks like a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing your photos :-)

Anna Bailee (Chelsea) said...

that looks like such a cool place to visit. that double rainbow is a wonderful and rare sight. and that church is really neat.

and i believe you could've walked on that dock without a problem :)

Kalli said...

I lived in Marquette for a yea while i went to school at Northern Michigan Univeristy. These pictures make me really miss it. I love this area and think I will go back soon.

LL Cool Joe said...

I love all these photos! The stained glass windows and the wooden doors look beautiful.

sara said...

what a beautiful place!!!

it's always fun to see a double rainbow!!

Brooke said...

what a gorgeous rainbow! a great reminder that God never forgets his promises.

Brenda said...

Loved the stained glass picture. The old crooked dock would make a good print too!

Kari said...

the church is beautiful - those stained glass windows are always so pretty.
And the docks, I love them all. thanks for sharing your photo's, it's all beautiful.

Sharon said...

thank you for taking us on such a beautiful tour. I love old churches.
Can't wait to see more.
Hugs

Justabeachkat said...

Gorgeous photos Mari!

So many beautiful places in our world. Isn't our God awesome?!

Hugs,
Kat

Sweet Tea said...

LOVE your photos.
I especially enjoyed the one of the shanties - very quaint and different from what I see in my corner of the world. Have a great time and keep those photos coming!