Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chihuly at the Gardens

I told you yesterday that there was something special going on at the Frederik Meijer Gardens. The special event is that Dale Chihuly, a world renowned glass artist is doing an exhibit there.
We've seen some of his work before and we really enjoyed seeing this event.
These tall spires were in front of the building - such a pretty color!


One of the things I enjoyed about this exhibit, is the way the glass sculptures were put outside, almost as a part of nature.


This huge piece was near the entrance to the building.


Inside the Conservatory, scattered throughout the tropical plants were these huge bowls. They look like colorful clam shells!

Hanging high above, is a cluster of huge balls.


A little stream runs through the conservatory and in it were these colorful pieces of glass, looking almost like leaves floating on the water.

More beautiful bowls setting amidst plants.

This one looks like a rock candy sucker!

Here are more pieces that were outside:




Even the falls have colorful glass balls on the different levels


Isn't this hillside pretty with all the red spires?


This was my favorite area. This sculpture is called 'Blue Moon'.
Behind it is this pond:

where there is a boat, filled with glass,

and lots of glass balls floating in the water. It was very peaceful and serene.

If you live in the area, make sure you visit the Gardens. Chihuly will be there through October.

20 comments:

Jenny said...

AH! I'm wild for Chihuly. When I lived in Ohio many years ago, they did an exhibit of his work at the Columbus Museum of Art. Since I worked just a few blocks away, I went to see it several times. Then I saw a PBS documentary that showed how he invents the shapes and how his workers construct the pieces. It's beyond incredible. What a genius! I've never seen the glass spires before ... must be something newish Dale is doing! And I love the lavender rock candy sucker. Your pics are fantastic, Mari.

Pat said...

Oh how beautiful! I love glass works and always go straight to those exhibits in museums. I'd love to see this in person!

Karin said...

Never in my life have I seen such beautiful glass works! Thank you for this post and all those lovely photos! Just astounding!

Unknown said...

Oh My Goodness!!! His work is amazing, don't you just wonder how he does all that??? Thanks for posting..

Kayren said...

A lot of it doesn't even look like glass. Those large ones are really amazing.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh, this is astounding artwork!! Wow...I think I like the 'floating' leaves in the pond best, but they're all so fascinating.

Jean said...

I have never seen anything like this. Amazing!!

Cherdecor said...

Wonderful works of art! There is a lot of creativity and imagination in each picture. Love it!

Just Mom said...

I love the sculptures! They make me want to go outside in my own garden and start placing artwork among my peonies and phlox.

Nancy said...

I'd love to see these in person...totally amazing...What a talent....

Sharon said...

Your photos are just beautiful. This would be something I wish that I could see it in person.
His work is just outrageous.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Angel said...

Wow, that is amazing. We have always loved watching glass blowers but have never seen anything like this. The way they are all placed is so cool. Absolutely love all the red spikes by that tree!!

Live way too far away, but would love to see this!! Thanks for sharing

Love and Blessings

Raise Them Up said...

Wow! I've never seen anything like that before. What neat work! They're all pretty, but I really like that second to the last picture.

Sue O said...

That's it, I'm heading up to Seattle tomorrow to visit his museum. Well, maybe not tomorrow, but soon! I love his glass, it's so organic. Thanks for the pics.

Rose said...

i have never heard of this artist. the works are so different, but pretty. thanks. rose

Kim said...

Would love to see that! I passed on the info to my kids, who live in Indiana but get up to Michigan periodically. Looks like it's definitely worth the trip!

A Stone Gatherer said...

WOW that stuff is so cool! I love glass art! Last year at Art Prize we saw some cool things too! Can't wait for ARt Prize this year!

Shelly said...

So Cool! I bet you did really enjoy seeing all of that artwork.

Lara said...

Loved the pictures Mari. I had never seen anything like that before. Great work!

septembermom said...

Amazing colors. Love having the chance to see all this creativity so beautifully displayed.