Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Cooking Thursday

We had a chili cook off at work last week. The judges were our local police, ambulance and firemen.
There were 16 crockpots of chili, and they were anonymous.  Each judge got 2 marbles and could put them in cup in front of the chili.  They could put both in one cup or choose two that they liked.
The entries were varied - there was a venison chili, several white chicken chili, a chili dip, a pork chili, a steak chili...
Here's one of the tables of chili.


Here's a few of the first police and firemen, ready to start sampling.


I brought a big crockpot of chili too, and guess what?  I won!

Here's my chili, and the recipe for it.

Tailgate Chili
1 pound Italian sausage
1 pound stewing meat
1 pound beef roast, cut into cubes
1 15 ounce can chili beans in spicy sauce
1 15 ounce can dark kidney beans, drained
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
2 28 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes with juice
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
3 stalks celery, diced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 cubes, beef bouillon
1/2 bag Hormel bacon pieces
1 cup beer
2/3 cup black coffee
1/8th cup chili powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar

Brown sausage in large stock pot. When browned, stir in stewing meat and roast and brown. Drain off excess grease.
Stir in chili beans, tomatoes and tomato paste.
Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, bacon bits, bouillon beer and coffee. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugars. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. 
After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste.  
I refrigerate it overnight, and then heat it again in the crock pot.
This isn't a recipe I'll make often, because it's not cheap to make, but if you want a big pot of chili that tastes great, this is a good one!



16 comments:

Mary said...

Congratulations, Mari! I once made a really great pot of chili, my entire family loved it. I’d found the recipe in a magazine, an article of recipes by celebrities. This recipe was by the actor Dudley Moore, and I decided to give it a try because he owned a restaurant that had quite a good reputation plus it was for Texas red, which is my favorite chili. Sad thing was I never transcribed the recipe and along the way lost the magazine. I’m going to give your recipe a whirl.

Katelyn R. said...

Way to go!!!!!

Joyful said...

Mari!!! Congratulations. That is awesome. Too bad I couldn't have a bowl of your chili ♥

Vicki said...

Congratulations! I've never made or eaten a chili with those ingredients but I'm going to give it a try.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Congratulations on your win and bet it was good....it looks good for sure.

Jenny said...

Good grief! My recipe takes four ingredients! They line up to eat it! But I bet it wouldn't win any awards; it's just tasty and filling. Especially with sour cream and shredded cheddar on top. I hope I get to taste your recipe someday because I love chili but I won't work that hard for it, haaahaha. Congratulations on winning the chili cookoff! xoxo

Arlene G said...

I am not surprised Mari! Sounds delicious!

Sylvia said...

It sounds as though you totally deserved it, judging by the number of ingredients and the looks of it. Well done Mari. What a fun idea.

Kerin said...

Great job! Congratulations on taking home the blue ribbon!!
Also, thanks for sharing your prize-winning recipe with us.

I am a recipe sharer too. I figure that way, we all can make delicious food, and put an end to yucky food ~~LOL!
(also, it helps to have friends have one of my recipes, just in case I misplace it)

Have a great day!!

~K.

Terri D said...

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the recipe!! Mas Verde is having a chili contest in February. I just may have to give this one a try!!

Beth (A Moms Life) said...

Congratulations!! I'm glad you won because th hat chili looks like a lot of work! I bet it is delicious!

Phoebes World said...

Congratulations! It looks delicious x

Laura said...

So happy for you and your chili! Can't wait to try it!

Doris said...

How fun! I love a good spicy chili.

Sally said...

Good job, Mari! I'm really not surprised though; I can tell by your recipes you are a wonderful cook! :)

Can't wait for it to cool down here some; I do love chili.

xoxo

Cherdecor said...

Congratulations on your win for the chili cookoff! That is some recipe!