Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2018

A Day in my Life

 It's August!  I have to admit that I'm really not too excited to see August arrive.  It seems that summer flies by, and then winter drags along.  But, I guess I better just enjoy the weather right now.  It's not snowing yet!
Here's what the first day of the month looked like for me.

 I started the day with my usual summer breakfast - refrigerator oatmeal.  It's easy to grab and is good with most any fruit.


 It was a peaceful, pretty morning.  The horses down the street were out enjoying it too.



Here's my desk when I arrived at work at 7:30.  I often find a lot of notes or papers left for me, but on this morning, there were only a few.
Our Physicians Assistant was coming later in the morning, so I started by getting charts ready for him.  I have to pull labs, blood sugars, vital signs of the people he would be seeing.
Once I got that ready, I had to print a report of all the charting and orders that were done in the last 24 hours.  I then go over it to prepare for our morning meeting.
That meeting is at 9:30. All the managers and department heads have to go to it.  We discuss what our census is, any admissions, discharges, hospitalizations and how people are doing in therapy. We go over any other issues, and then I do the clinical report which is reviewing the report I had gone over earlier.  This way we catch any problems that need to be addressed.  I know these things are important but I'm not a fan of meetings!  :)   This one lasted until 10:30.

 This is our PA, Tom.  He arrived shortly after the meeting was done.  He reviews the charts and then we go see those residents.



After he leaves, I put in orders and print med sheets, and call family members of people who can't make their own decisions to notify them of changes.  I got done with this at about 1:30 and had lunch.

In the afternoon, I worked on some infection control things.  Any residents that are sick or on antibiotics need to have that info entered into the computer and mapped out to be sure bugs aren't being passed from resident to resident or staff to resident.

I also made this sign to put out in our entry, reminding people to please not visit if they are sick, but if the need to come in, to use a mask.

Then I worked on some other assessments that need to be done on our admissions, and on vaccination reports that have to be done on anyone new.

I got done at 5:15.  When I left, one of our residents was sitting outside with his wife.  He can't talk well, but told me "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood", and it was!


I took the back roads home.  It was 80 degrees and the blue sky was beautiful!  The corn is really growing.


Bob was already home when I got there.  We had an easy supper - just leftovers to be warmed up.
After supper, Bob went out to work on the Dining room table he's making.  I cleaned up the kitchen, made lunches and started some laundry.


 I walked outside to see how he was doing.



Here he is putting a finish on the table top!


 I left him and went for a little walk.  This is our street.



 I came across this cool feather. I wonder what kind of bird it belonged to.


I enjoyed the sun shining through the trees too.

When I got home, Bob was just coming in.  I finished the laundry, took a shower and then we relaxed for the rest of the night.  It was another good day!

15 comments:

Terri D said...

I always enjoy your "day in my life" posts the first of each month, Mari! First of all, bless you and all nurses for doing so much for our loved ones in your care! Bless you. That corn really is high and looks quite healthy! Your street is beautiful, no matter the season. I can't wait to see Bob's table. He does such great work. A true artist. Have a good Friday and weekend ahead!

Jean said...

I too always enjoy your first day of the month posts. I actually thought of it yesterday morning, but didn't jot down anything throughout the day, so now I don't remember the details!

Love how much you nurses do for your people.

Joyful said...

You are a very busy nurse. I enjoy reading about your first day of the month too. I think the routine at the care facility is pretty standardized. When my mom was in care it seemed like these meetings were their daily routine. The nurse practitioners and doctors didn't join in these meetings though I know they made regular rounds and at lunch and at night I would always bump into the night nurse giving out the medicines. I wasn't there early in the morning because mom wasn't bathed, dressed and finished with breakfast until closer to 11.

Arlene G said...

I always enjoy your day in the life posts Mari. Glad you arrived to an orderly desk on this day!! I would feel overwhelmed if I got there and it was overflowing first thing. I always like to see what you hubby is up to! He sure is talented. And that nice shop will keep him busy when he retires. I know you must dread winter....we love the thought of snow down here but the reality is a nightmare.

Jennifer Hays said...

Yes, I love these posts! I really enjoy seeing what you do at work, you are such a competent professional. Bob's shop is incredible, I always like to see it. I think my husband would lose his mind if he could visit Bob and his shop, they'd get along great.

Sally said...

You are such a busy nurse, Mari! I hope they appreciate all you do. Busy day, then a nice evening. Good for you, and good for Bob making that table. :)

xoxo

Laura said...

Another busy day for you! :) Can't wait to see how that table is coming along!

Linda said...

What a great post, Mari. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Dianna said...

I enjoyed reading about your day, Mari. I don't know how you do all that you do, but I am thankful for you and the loving care with which you do your job.

Kerin said...

Wonderful post! You had a great day, it sounds like.
Bob has an awesome shop!!

I've been wanting to give overnight oats a try; maybe next week I will.

You're a smart lady to post a sign with disposable masks for visitors. One illness sure can spread like wildfire.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Hootin Anni said...

I want that feather...grouse maybe?

You wrote: "entered into the computer and mapped out to be sure bugs are being passed from resident to resident or staff to resident." I'm sure you meant AREN'T...careful! - CNN would love a story about an adult care facility that actually passes around infection ...(kidding)

One more thing...refridgerated oatmeal? Sounds great. Loved the back roads.

Cherdecor said...

I always enjoy your first day of the month posts. We liked to peek into Bob's shop to see what he is working on too. Can't wait to see the new table. I love seeing how you and your staff care for the people in the nursing home.

Sue said...

A very rewarding and busy day, I enjoyed reading of your day, the feather is unusual very colorful.
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

LL Cool Joe said...

I always think my days are so boring in comparison to yours! Sounds like it was busy but fun. It's amazing how there's always laundry to be done. :D

Jenny said...

Sounds like a productive but enjoyable summer day for you, Mari. Bob's shop sure is impressive! As are the things he makes. Your nature pictures are so beautiful. xoxo