Pages

Monday, August 20, 2018

Annual Chicken BBQ

You may remember me posting about this event in the past. Every year a little community near the area I grew up hosts a Chicken BBQ.  This year was the 60th year for this event.  I remember going to it when I was a child, and it holds good memories!
My Dad invites the whole family every year and we usually have a good turn out. This year our numbers were down.  Bob was working, my sister Terri and her husband had a wedding to attend, Laura and Aaron and girls had a birthday party and 2 other granddaughters had other previous engagements.  But those that could go, enjoyed it!

 When we arrived, the community band was playing.



The men were hard at work grilling this yummy chicken!



 Enjoying chicken, potato salad, cole slaw, a roll and ice cream.



After eating there were things to see.  A baseball game was going on and the old tractors were on display.


 There is always a petting zoo.  The kids love it, but us older folk do too!



 Heather and my niece Katelyn were enjoying these bunnies.



I thought this guy was cute!


This huge chicken was wandering around and attracting a lot of attention.  His name was Colonel Sanders!

I think this type of event is good old fashioned Americana!

16 comments:

Jenny said...

Boy I'll say! Americana all the way. The size of that chicken! Mercy. Every year your pictures of that chicken on the grill makes me drool. But it's not the same without Ruby and Alaina. xoxo

Connie said...

I almost cried . . . this is so touching. If every American could experience this kind of community event and the pride and love that a community can have for it's people. Then, more people would start realizing that they should stop fighting about politics and start sanding up as one country made of proud Americans, standing side by side supporting a candidate when in office and if in disagreement of the American vote, then wait to show your thoughts at the next election, with your vote.
Thank you for showing us this community of pretty darn great Americans.
Connie :)

Jennifer Hays said...

I always love seeing this event every year when you share it. It looks like so much fun and a nice way to maintain community spirit from year to year.

Joyful said...

Such wonderful memories for you to relive every year Mari. I have never seen so many chickens on the grill at once. They seem to go on for miles, lol. It all looks so tasty and the animals are a nice touch too.

Hootin Anni said...

Good, wholesome fun...like reliving our youth!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Looks like lots of good food and fun all around.

Arlene G said...

It is nice to know communities still do things like this Mari. They seem to be dying out here in the South.

Linda said...

It's great to see this...truly it is. smiles

Kerin said...

Looks like a very enjoyable event!
Great way to foster community goodwill, and what a better way to be neighborly.

Have a happy day.

~K.

p.s.That fluffy butt chicken is the cutest :)

Changes in the wind said...

That is special and glad you were able to go. I too love the petting zoo's and that chicken looked amazing.

Doris said...

How special. I'd go for the chicken for sure!!

Terri D said...

I sure hope communities like that one continue to host these type of events. It is so important to keep 'Americana' gatherings like this alive and well!! The chicken looks delicious and it is too bad Ruby and Alaina had to miss the petting zoo. On to 60 more years!!

Dianna said...

I agree...good ole Americana! I love events like this. I'm so glad that you were able to go...making some more memories with and for your dad.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm glad Colonel Sanders didn't end up on the bbq! Looks like a very traditional American get to together!

Jean said...

I was also thinking that "Colonel Sanders" was strutting around because he was so proud that he didn't end up on that grill!!

What a great event. Glad the weather was good for it.

Katelyn R. said...

I forgot to mention I like the picture with the bunny being pet ;-) lol!!