Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

A Day in My Life - January

It's a new Year!  I'm continuing my tradition of sharing my first day of the month with you.  It was a quiet day, so don't expect much this time!


 We celebrated New Years Eve with Tom and Bonnie, our brother and sister-in-law.  We went out for supper, then came back to our house.  Here we are a minute after watching the ball drop, drinking our sparkling juice.  No big parties for us, and that's ok!



A few minutes later, the glasses were in the sink and Tom and Bonnie were headed home.  We were in bed by 12:30.   :)



Sunday morning we were up and at church.  Our church is currently meeting at this school.  It's always good to meet with our church family and is a great way to start a month and a new year!



We remarked at the blue sky on our way home.  It doesn't look like winter here, much of the snow melted over the last few days, but it was still cold!


You can see that in our yard some snow remains.



I had chicken rice soup in the crock pot, all ready for us when we came home from church.


We had a nice, quiet afternoon that involved reading, relaxing and even a short nap!



I found a cut piece of clip-art to print off for my little side table, perfect for this season!


I made some oatmeal for the next few days.  I put it in these small jars, then it only takes a few minutes in the microwave to have breakfast ready I the morning.


The sun setting in the back yard. It was a peaceful day and I'm rested up which is good because I'm afraid I have some long days ahead of me.  We are experiencing yet another nurse shortage at work, and I'm praying that things like medical leave and jury duty is done soon for some of my co-workers.
Hope you all started your month well too!

17 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

We had such a low key New Years Eve. In fact, we were tired and were in bed by 11:55pm. hahaha....boy, we must be getting old!
Hope you survive the long days at work! Happy New Year!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

We had a quiet New Years Eve too, and cant remember the last year I saw the ball drop in Times Square. Hope you dont have to work too much overtime in the days to come.

LL Cool Joe said...

We had a low key New Year's Eve too, in fact we were in bed at about 10.00pm. Ha, how rock and roll. So I'm assuming you don't drink champagne? Happy New Year!

Jenny said...

New Year's Eve? What's that? Haaahahahaha it's the one holiday I totally ignore. I went to bed at eleven. Nothing could interest me less than watching that ball drop. But I do love my sleep. Happy New Year, Mari! xoxo

Hootin Anni said...

Jury duty is something that we must do, but I can see that it would really put a damper on the co-workers having to deal with more duties to cover for them.

I like the idea of a quiet New Year's Day that you enjoyed!!! A perfect day for relaxing, contemplating the year ahead and enjoying the peaceful time together with your loved one.

Linda said...

It was listed on our school website that nursing is a sought out job and that there is a shortage...keeping you in prayer...

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Sometimes those nice mellow relaxing days are the dreamiest! We had a very lounging Jan 1 as well - and I don't think I even ever got out of my pj's. ;) Prayers sent that things improve at work Hon!!

Happy 2017 Blessings. xoxo

Stephanie said...

Happy New Year, sweet Mari! I hope this year is filled with lots of love, sweet joy, and many blessings.

Hugs to you!

Terri D said...

We didn't even stay up for the ball to drop. We were in bed before 10:30. January 1st was quiet, but we did have Helen and Cheryl up for pork roast and black-eyed peas and kraut. They only stayed a couple of hours. We watched some TV, did a few things around the house but basically just enjoyed doing nothing. Things will pick up fast for us real soon. I hope your nursing shortage doesn't last long.

Jean said...

That sounded like a perfect Sunday to me! Yes, our snow is mostly gone as well. Today we have had steady rain all day. It is much more dreary than snow, but I don't mind. Anthony and Lori's hill makes snow such a big pain!

Sue O said...

Have you tried the summer oatmeal? There are recipes all over the web. You mix yoghurt and raw oatmeal and fruit and perhaps chia seed and a little sweetener in a jar and leave it in the fridge overnight. It's perfect for a hot summer morning.

Mari said...

Hi Sue! Yes, I've made the refrigerator oatmeal. I had it for most of the summer, but in the winter, it's hard to find good fruit for it plus I like something warm!

Arlene G said...

It has been very temperate here as well but snow is in the forecast for Friday. Hoping it stays away!!

Jennifer Hays said...

I always love seeing the days in your life, Mari. Your New Year's Eve looks like good fun, just the kind I like to spend every year. I think I made the same soup for dinner last night! I love it. I roasted a chicken on Sunday for dinner and it was good, but all I could really think about was the soup later on! :)

Cherdecor said...

I have to tell you something funny here about New Year's Eve. Since it was just the three of us here, I decided that we would celebrate as though we had a lot of people. Chad agreed. We made cheeseballs, relish trays, shrimp, potato cheese soup, cookies and ice cream. In the late evening we were sipping our hot cider and having a wonderful evening.

Since we haven't seen the ball drop for many years, Alan and I decided that this year would be the year that we would stay up and watch it drop. We were on the right channel of the TV, I was sitting in the recliner which makes me so inclined to sleep every time, so every once in a while Alan would say, "Are you awake?" So, at 11:55 at a commercial, I closed my eyes for just for the commercial break. Soon after Alan said, "Well, Happy New Year!" I said, "What? I went to sleep and missed seeing the ball drop." He said, "There wasn't any ball. There were just some numbers counting down the time." "No," I said, "They ALWAYS show the ball. You were just fixated on the numbers." We both laughed and said, "Well, we missed it again." Don't you just love old people.

Karen said...

Hi Mari, I'm curious how you make oatmeal for the jars. Do you use minute oatmeal or regular oatmeal? Just make up a batch and separate into jars?

Laura said...

We just had chicken noodle soup last week too - perfect for this weather!