Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A Day in my Life

It's November! I missed doing this last month because of our vacation, but today I'll share what I did on the first day of November.
Tuesday was my day off and it's a good thing because I started off the month here:

 Yes, this is the Emergency room.  Monday evening we were sitting at home, when suddenly Bob yelled out.  I thought he head a charlie horse, but no - he had dislocated his shoulder!  He did it once before, quite a few years ago.  This time, he was going to get up and must have pushed off on his arm just wrong, and his shoulder was out.  This was at 8:15. I drove him to the hospital as quickly as I could without making sudden stops or turns because he was in terrible pain!  Unfortunately the ER was very busy and we did a lot of waiting.  Finally, about 11:30 they put him under conscious sedation and put it back in place.  He was put into an immobilizer and they released him about 12:30am.  I took this photo as I was walking to get the car.



 Here he is when we got home at 1am.  They gave him a gown to wear because they had to cut his shirt off.  He went to bed, I was up for a little bit because I can't just go to bed and sleep without a little down time first!



I slept in the next morning, then started some laundry,



then it was time for my morning treadmill walk.  I finished the laundry and cleaned out a few drawers.



 I had to go out and run a bunch of errands, and it was an absolutely beautiful day!  This was a field I passed; the crates are stacked up for the year, and the field is plowed and ready for a winter rest.



Look at my car thermometer - 72 degrees on November 1!  That is unheard of in Michigan.



 It's my birthday this month so I had to go to the Secretary of State to renew my license.  I was next in line and was out in 5 minutes!  That never happens either!




I had to make several other stops - Costco, the grocery store, a little craft and vintage goods place and this orchard where I bought some apples.



This little sign is one of my purchases of the day.  Isn't it cute?  It's perfect for our house - we have both love and shenanigans here.  :)



 When I got home I changed out my welcome that's by our back door.  It was a Fall sign, but since it's November I thought it was time for the turkey to come out!



 I used the apples I bought from the orchard to make a few pies.  One of my guys in the nursing home has had a really rough few weeks and he loves apple pie, so one for him and one for Bob!  Since I usually post a recipe on Thursday, here is the recipe for this pie.  It's so good!

Mom's Apple PieCombine:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Press out any lumps. Ad 6 large tart apples, peeled and sliced. Toss well.
Place unbaked pie crust in 9 inch pie plate. Fill pastry shell with apple mix.
Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Stir together sugar and flour, then cut in better until mixture is crumbly. Spread over filling.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes or until browned.



I ended the day at my ladies Bible study at church.  We are really enjoying this study which shows how we can see Christ in the Old Testament.

It was a really good day, in spite of the rough start.  The weather was perfect, I got a lot done and Bob is doing quite well, other than being sore and achy.  He has to wear the immobilizer for a while and is seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week.

14 comments:

Bethany Carson said...

Happy birthday, Mari! I hope you have a truly delightful year! That apple pie looks delicious! I would be jealous except my sister just made us an apple pie today as well, so I'm spoiled. :) That must have been scary for Bob to have a dislocated shoulder...no fun!

Summer said...

Happy Birthday! Love the pie♥

Arlene G said...

Oh my goodness...you did have an exciting day Mari. Glad your sweet husband is ok. And I love all your little touches of Thanksgiving decor. Happy Birthday too!!

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Poor Bob! I hope he is feeling better. And my husband is just like you. He has to have downtime before bed no matter what time it is. I, on the other hand, can immediately hop into bed and go right to sleep.

That pie looks delicious. How kind of you to make one for your residents.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mari. I am so sorry to hear about Bob's shoulder. Thanks for the apple pie recipe; that's a favorite of ours. It was fun to see the fall color in your area. I adore the little wooden sign you purchased. God bless your November!

Hootin Anni said...

I'm late getting around to paying you a visit...love the Autumn Leaves in your Wordless.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, that sounds very painful!!! I hope it never happens again for him. Keep us posted about the surgery outcome to have it or not.

That apple pie[s] look so delicious. One of my favorites. I'm thinking of making some apple dumplings. [I can make them in individual pans and freeze them to bring 'em out one at a time.]

That IS warm for Michigan this time of year. Here too. We had 86 degrees yesterday afternoon. But at leas the humidity has left for the most part.

Hootin Anni said...

ps...then with all my typing I forgot to say Happy Birthday...so, happy birthday Mari.

Jennifer Hays said...

I enjoyed seeing your day, Mari. I'm so sorry about Bob's shoulder. That must have been painful, not to mention the night spent in the ER. I hope he feels better soon. Good news about the DMV, glad you got in and out so fast. I had to renew mine last year and was able to do it online, and got an 8-year renewal! I didn't even know such a thing was possible but it was only a few dollars more than the 4-year so I jumped at the chance. I hope you have a good weekend!

Karen said...

You had a full day! Wishing Bob a speedy recovery.

Phoebes World said...

Happy Birthday Mari x
What a day! And poor Bob. I hope he recovers quickly
Thank you for the recipe ...It looks delicious. Another one for my files
Phoebe x

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I am so sorry for Bob and hope he heals quickly. I know it is painful and he is so active, it will be hard for him to not be able to do the things he usually does. The pies look very good.

Sandi said...

Ow...ow...ow...ow...that hurt to read! Hope he is doing better.

Love the little shenagins sign!

Cherdecor said...

I won't comment anymore on Bob's shoulder :) but I am finding out that I do not see things clearly. Like this.....I was looking intently at your pie. I thought it was the oddest shaped pie I had ever seen. I thought, What kind of pie pan is that? I enlarged the picture. Two pies?!?!? I am afraid that better glasses will not help me. :)
It looks absolutely delicious. If I had some apples, I would make that pie tonight using your recipe. I must bake that one!

You really did have an interesting first day of November. You will remember this day for a long time. Thanks for the recipe!

Terri D said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Bob's shoulder! I can't imagine the pain, though I had rotator cuff surgery that was pretty intense. I hope he can get it fixed so it won't happen again! I ordered a copy of your Bible study. I love learning about how Jesus is predicted in the Old Testament. We did a chronological Bible study a few years ago that tied the Old to the New and I loved it. Your apple pies look amazing!