Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

A day in my life - March!

March is here and it came in like a lion in West Michigan!  I had March 1 off and had my day all planned.  I was supposed to have my MOPS group, then go out for lunch with a friend and then have my yearly mammogram.  My weekly Bible study was scheduled for the evening.  However, things don't always go as planned!  Here's how my day really went though:

I got up and hopped in the shower, planning to leave the house about 8:30 for MOPS.  When I got out, I heard my phone beep for a text message.  When I checked it, I found out that all the schools were closed due to weather, so MOPS was cancelled.

Here's what it looked like out our front window.  Looked like a good day to stay in!
It was a nice surprise to be able to enjoy a slow paced morning.  It's not often I get a day to stay home, but after listening to the weather report, I decided to just stay home and do the lunch and mammogram later too.


I started up some laundry...


and made some banana bread with some bananas I had thrown in the freezer.



In the meantime, here's what it looked like outside:





I also decided this was a good day to work on cleaning out the closet in our spare/kids room.  We store all kinds of things there - toys, wrapping paper, decorative things, serving items...  and it's been needing some sorting for a while.





It was also a good time to do our taxes.  I've used a few different types of tax software, but I like TurboTax the best.  It's nice to have that done!


Bob got home from work about 4:30.
He got right to work on the driveway.


And I started working on supper.
We had chicken fajitas and they were so good!  I like the McCormick seasoning packet, it's easy to make yummy filling.  Our daughter Laura told me about these tortillas.  If you can find them in a store near you, I highly recommend them!  They are fresh and uncooked and taste so much better than the already made version.


You just throw the tortilla on an ungreased griddle or pan,  as you brown one side it will bubble up,  Then flip it and brown the other side.


It will look like this.


Then fill it with your chicken and veggie filling, and cheese if you like.  It's so good!



In the meantime, we heard that my bible study and a training session Bob was supposed to go to for work was cancelled, so we had the evening free!

After supper I worked on an online training course.  We have to do a few continuing education courses each month for work.  This one was on blood borne pathogens.  It's good to have it done!

We just relaxed the rest of the night.  I enjoyed my snow day!

21 comments:

Bethany Carson said...

We had snow here as well! Your dinner looks absolutely delicious...and so does the banana bread!

Terra said...

You accomplished a lot on your day at home. I have not seen those uncooked tortillas before.

Betsy Brock said...

There's nothing better than a snow day and getting to stay home! yay!

Jennifer Hays said...

It looks like you had a busy day at home. I haven't seen uncooked tortillas around here, but I do try to buy locally-made tortillas; they're very good around here where I live, as you can imagine. I hope March is good to all of you, Mari. Have a good weekend.

White Lace and Promises said...

What a great day to stay in, relax and get stuff done! This week has been a whirlwind. Babysitting is should not include the word "sitting."

Hootin Anni said...

To have the whole day and evening free, with your busy life, must've felt really good. Tho, there are things to do now, later when the weather cooperates, to play catch up.

You accomplished so much!!!

I used to make tortillas from scratch when I was 'younger'. But not any more. LOL Your fajitas look so good.

Stay safe in that nastiness called snow/ice!!

Linda said...

So, when can I expect you here to clean out the closets? (giggling)

I am so hoping spring will make an appearance...have a beautiful day regardless of the weather.

Terri D said...

SO glad you could stay home and get things done around the house...safe and warm and out of that nasty weather! I haven't seen those tortillas, but haven't looked for them either. I don't make fajitas very often. They are delicious!

Arlene G said...

Sometimes it is fun to just have a snow day!! Those fajitas look amazing!!

Heather said...

Sounds a lot like my Tuesday! We got our taxes done, too. So nice to not have to think about it!

Sally said...

Honestly?

You make me feel like a slug! Wow, you got so much done, Mari. I'm impressed and jealous. :)

xoxo

Anita said...

Goes to show that being a couch potato in front of the TV isn't always the thing to make you have a good day. I would have felt so "accomplished" if I'd done all of that.

I love fajitas! I use the McCormick, too, and just onions and peppers with the chicken. Afterwards, I add salsa and cheese... and maaaayybe sour cream. :) Next time, I'll add more veggies like you've done.

Shrimp is a good substitute for chicken sometimes. Being the cook you are, I'm sure you've already tried it. :)

Patsy said...

That looks cold,
glad you had a good day at home.

Doris said...

We had a bit of snow but it's all gone....I'm ok with that!
I always enjoy your first day posts!

Beth said...

Sounds like a great day. I always enjoyed those days when I taught. I'm stalling on cleaning a walk-in closet that's a mess. Did you ever feel like the mess was overwhelming and you didn't know where to start? That's me now!

Cherdecor said...

We use Turbo Tax and Alan is done in minutes. He really likes it.

Chad uses the uncooked Tortillas. He makes beef Fajitas. I have never tasted them since I am gluten intolerant.

You really did get a lot done. Your closet looks like it doesn't need too much organizing. I think you keep things organized most of the time. You are a person who stays on top of it.

Karen said...

You had a productive day! I'm going to look for those uncooked tortillas, what a great idea.

Amy at love made my home said...

Sounds like a lovely day for staying in! xx

Just A Southern Girl said...

Those unexpected days "off" of everything are so nice! Like a gift wrapped up in a pretty bow :) Glad you enjoyed your day at home. I agree it looked like a good day to stay in -- I got cold just looking at your photos of outside :)

Jenny said...

What a wonderful day. Those fajitas look and sound so scrumptious. I think I'll have to make those soon. xoxo

Jean said...

What a wonderful, unexpected day!! I never heard of the uncooked tortillas. That meal looks so delicious!