Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Works for me Wednesday

Have you heard of the Debbie Meyer Green Bags? I had seen them on TV but I usually don't believe those commercials. Recently I saw a little write up on them in a magazine where they gave them approval, so when I saw a package of them at Bed, Bath and Beyond, I decided to try them out. I did a little test on them. I bought a bunch of bananas and separated 1 banana. I left it out and put the rest in a bag. Here is a picture 5 days later. There is a real difference between them. I did learn after that first trial not to close the bag up tightly. The banana's last even longer then.

.

Here is another example. I bought tomatoes at the farmers market and put them in a bag on my counter. This tomato was still firm and good after 2 weeks!

I have used these bags for other fruits and veggies and have had good results each time. I know I am saving money, when I think of how much produce costs and how often I had to throw it away because it spoiled in the past. These bags can be found online, at Bed, Bath and Beyond and I even saw them in the produce section of our local grocery store.
For more Works for me Wednesday tips, visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

15 comments:

Lynn said...

Great tip! I haven't heard of these, but they sound like something I should check into. Thanks for the demo. :o)

Melissa said...

I think I'm going to have to try these out! We always have so many rotten fruits cuz they just get left on the counter, so maybe this will work!

Mike Golch said...

just stopped by to wish you a great day! Hugs and god's Blessings and love to you and all of your Family, My Friend!Mike G. said that!(It's an A.A.thing of mine)

Terri said...

I've got to try these!

Short Stop said...

I am TOTALLY getting these. We throw out WAY too much produce around here, and this is just what we need. Thank you, Mari. I always love your tips!

A Stone Gatherer said...

My mom just told me about them last week! Thanks for the info that they do work! I sure go through alot of produce! So the bags can be reused?

Anonymous said...

Glad to see a review from someone I know and trust to tell the truth!

Perri

Anonymous said...

I laughed this morning, because you had already told me about these but Halle informed me this morning that I needed to get the Debby Meyer Green bags (yes she knew the whole name.) She also told me exactly how they worked! Obviously she's watching way too much tv!

Pat said...

I'm always curious about those infomercials...which work and which don't. Nothing like a first hand testimonial, I think I need to buy these.
I did buy the space saver bags...the verdict is still out on those. I think they are good for blankets and seldom used items, I'll let you know what my coats look like when I free them from the bag this fall - I have a feeling it will be a wrinkled mess!!

Rebekah said...

glad to know these really work. My mom tried them when we were down visiting- but we ate the bananas too fast to know if the bags worked or not.

Krista said...

I've heard of these but never had the opportunity to use them. Great product review... I always have produce go bad on me because we don't eat it fast enough.

Cherdecor said...

I will have to look for these. Thanks for the tip.

Grace Acres said...

that's good to know, I have wondered if they do work. In the summer we eat fresh a lot but in the winter it takes longer to use up some of the veggi's this may be the thing to try.

Amy said...

They sound great!

Justabeachkat said...

They did a spot on these bags on Good Morning America. They didn't rate them too well so I'm glad you had good luck. I've heard bananas last longer if you pull them apart. No sure if that is true or not.

Hugs!
Kat