Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

Chicken BBQ

Saturday evening I had a great meal at a Chicken BBQ near us. From the time I was young (many moons ago!) my family has gone to this annual chicken BBQ. It was always kind of a small town affair, where it seemed my Dad always knew everyone and there were plenty of relatives around. He continued this tradition after us kids grew up, although I haven't gone every year because Bob doesn't like chicken BBQ (I know - he's a little weird!) and because it doesn't always work with our schedule. This year I had the day off and Bob was working evenings so I joined the rest of the family. My Dad and Ann, my 2 sisters and their families and my brother were there. There was more going on than usual because it was the 50th anniversary.
. Here are several family members enjoying that delicious chicken.
.They had a small petting zoo which included these angora rabbits, other baby bunnies, chicks, and goats. There were also demonstrations by the fire department, police, crash dummies and jaws of life. The kids enjoyed a bounce house and a few other fun inflatable things.
.
They also had a corn maze. I've always thought it would be fun to do this. I grew up on a farm and remember walking down the rows of corn and feeling so hidden. It was fun to walk through the maze following my 2 nieces. I'm always surprised by how tall the corn is and how you really can't see to get out. We did eventually find our way to the end, and then went on a hay ride. It was a fun evening. The only problem was that I forgot my camera so I have to confess that I stole these pictures from my sister. Thanks Terri!




post signature

19 comments:

Jean said...

I LOVE chicken bbq!! We had a corn maze around here that was called The Amazing Maize Maze!

Diane said...

I just posted on Cheri's blog that I think this is about 1/2 mile from where I grew up. We used to go there every year for the chicken BBQ and my dad always sold tickets there! I'm pretty sure it's the same place because I just heard tonight that they just celebrated the 50th BBQ this year. We just came home from this place tonight - I had a family reunion there! :)

Mary said...

Mari,

What a fun time. I'm so glad you went and enjoyed yourself. We all need to get out and enjoy the company of family and friends. The photo of your nieces is great. I too remember running through the corn when I was a child. My brother, sister and I often played hide and go seek in the corn rows and it was a difficult job finding the others when I was it. Lots of fun.

Thanks for the memories. I enjoyed my visit. Wishing you a great week.

Blessings,
Mary

Andrew Bruins said...

Oh what fun. I am glad you had a fun time even though your uncaring husband wasnt there!

Cherdecor said...

What fun! I have never been through a corn maze but it looks like fun.

Pat said...

Just one of the joys of living in the midwest, looks like lots of fun and best of all being with people you love.

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to have you there with us this year!

Krista said...

I love BBQ Chicken!! I would love a dinner devoted to bbq chicken...can I come next time?

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I just saw this over at Cheri's...great minds think alike. That sounds like a yummy time!

Renee said...

Sounds like great time! Hope you're having a good and cool week.

Terri said...

It was fun, wasn't it. And you just can't beat the chicken there.

(I love your pictures too)

kari and kijsa said...

What a beautiful post for us to read today! Thank you for your encouraging words... Thank you again for all your thoughtful comments, time and prayers.

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

What a great time to be with family!! Great pictures, love the corn maze, and the cute bunnies:)

Saija said...

i enjoyed the flowers from your previous post ... and the pics of your activities from this post! :o)

re your comment on "the shack" ... i mailed my copy to a friend, then ordered 4 more from amazon, plus the audio CD ... i have lent one of the 4 books out, hope to get one into the library and have given the audio cd's to my sister ... that book really made me think of God as such a loving Person - made me think outside the box and it just blessed my socks right off! glad you read it too!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Awww that looks like SO much fun! What a great memory for you and your family!!

~melody~

Melissa said...

haha! I thought those pictures looked familiar! It looks like you had a great time though!

Lynn said...

What a fun time! I've done a corn maze before, and it was so fun...great first date activity. ;o) I love small town fairs and events...especially ones that have fall activities.

Rebekah said...

Sounds like a good evening

Grace Acres said...

I have never been in a corn maze either but my best friends boyfriend owns one by bay city and so I will be going to my first this fall.