Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2024

Smoky Mountain get-away

 We're back from our short vacation, so prepare yourselves for lots of pictures as I share what we did!
Our son and DIL live in KY, so we decided to take a short vacation to the Smoky Mountains and spend some time with them there.


It takes about 10 hours to drive from our home to the cabin we had rented near Pigeon Forge.  We decided to leave on Thursday and drive part way so it wouldn't be such a long day. That day went fine. Friday was not so fun though.  We ran into lots of construction, very busy roads and then torrential downpours while driving through the mountains.  As we got close to the cabin it stopped raining.




Here you can see the clouds hanging over the mountains.  This is the valley right before we drove up to our cabin.

It was quite a drive to the cabin, steep hills and switchback turns which were pretty scary.  Then we got to our driveway and wondered if we could go up it - it was so steep along with a turn back.  After we'd been there, we found out if we went a ways down the road, we could turn around and then enter a little straighter which made it easier.


Here's a picture of the driveway from the house.  You can see how steep it was and what a turn it was as we were coming from the right.

Once we got there, the cabin was beautiful!



This is the view we had from the deck.






The rain drops were still hanging on the leaves.




This was the living area, the dining area is to the right, and the kitchen was there too.  It was a very nice place to stay in.
Andy and Nikki arrived about an hour after we got there, and we settled in for the evening.


On Saturday morning, Andy and Nikki went for a little hike, and Bob and I took a little drive.  We loved seeing the beautiful scenery!



Along with the beautiful spots are the tourist spots!




This little stream ran near our cabin.  It was such a pretty spot.  I was down near the rocks taking pictures and there was a little bat sleeping that I took a picture of.  I was so upset later, when I tried to upload the picture and found I had a bad SD card and all the pics I took were gone, including the ones of the bat.


That afternoon, Andy and Nikki to us to Skyland Ranch to check it out and then to go to a dinner show there.


I'm not a fan of heights, so wasn't thrilled with this part.  We had to take the sky tram to get up to the ranch.  Nikki and I were in one tram, that's Bob and Andy in the tram ahead of us.  I was glad to get back on solid ground!



Bob and I at the ranch.  Excuse my squint - the sun was so bright!



There were lots of animals to see, including some cute highland cows.



Bob and Nikki posing for us.



After this we went to our dinner show called the Chuck Wagon Express where we had a really good BBQ dinner.


The show had music, whip cracking, rope tricks and lots of humor.  Andy even got called up to help in an Old McDonald Skit.



We ended the day with this gorgeous sunset over the mountains.

23 comments:

Debby said...

Wow beautiful scenery for sure. Gorgeous!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! Great pictures of your beautiful vacation. I have always wanted to go to that part of the country. So glad you were able to go and have a nice visit with Nikki and Andy. I hope you have a good week. Glad you are back in blogland. See you again soon!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The cabin is gorgeous! Very modern, too. But it was a scary adventure itself just getting there!!

roentare said...

The sceneries are so beautiful in deed

Suemn said...

That steep driveway up to the cabin would have scared me. I'm glad you found another way that wasn't so steep. At first I thought the horses that Bob and Nikki were sitting on were real. Ha! It looks like you chose a good place to vacation with lots to do and a nice place to relax.

Mandy said...

So glad y’all got to take this trip. The scenery is just beautiful up that way! I don’t think I would have been a fan of the sky tram either! 😂

Changes in the wind said...

What a beautiful place, thanks for sharing...

DUTA said...

Such a wonderful cabin experience! You and Bob look great in the picture!
Close family (Son and DIL) and beautiful scenery all over!
Loking forward to additional pictures from your fabulous vacation.

Jeanette said...

That is a great getaway! It is so beautiful there! We took a tram up a mountain in Gatlinburg a few years ago and I was gripping the bar the whole time! Not a fan of heights either!

R's Rue said...

So beautiful

Catherine said...

The cabin is beautiful ! I am glad you had a good time with your son and DIL.
The views of the mountains are beautiful.

Sparky said...

How beautiful. Looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy!
Blessings. 💙

Kim said...

Wow, that's some cabin view! What beautiful area, but like you, I'd prefer to see it from the ground! Haha!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

What gorgeous scenery! And that cabin looked like it was so nice - that window view - stunning!
And the family time I'm guessing was best of all. :)
Glad it was a great trip and you got home safely.
xoxo

Dianna said...

What a beautiful area to vacation in...enjoying all of God's glorious handiwork! I enjoyed seeing pictures of you and Bob, as well as Nikki and Andy. Sounds like a great time!

Happy@Home said...

So nice that you had a getaway with your son and daughter-in-law. The scenery is just gorgeous. We have been on many little trips to the NC and TN mountains. Some of those roads are downright scary. Thank goodness my husband was the driver. If I was at the wheel I would have a panic attack for sure.

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased you had a good break away with your son and DIL.
I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs, the scenery and views are lovely.

All the best Jan

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh wow that cabin looks fantastic ... and the views! I would love to spend a few hours at that tourist trap full of kitschy souvenirs, hahaha ... just kidding. BUT a BBQ dinner would be my next best choice, hahaha! I can't BELIEVE you didn't end up getting pictures of the sleeping bat! I trust you went back to that spot the next day and hung out (see what I did there) until he returned. xoxo

My Tata's Cottage said...

A simply beautiful trip with stunning photos. I am so sorry you could not get the bat asleep. Those little creatures are a funny sight to see. I usually can get a close up at the zoo in the Rain Forest exhibit. SO many of them. We see them here in the Fall. They dive and dance for us at dusk and then fly into the trees and we do not see them til the next evening. I bet you enjoyed time with the family. Always a special treat. My big sister loved Kentucky and they lived there til she passed away in Radcliff. I always enjoyed the visits there. I am so happy you had such a good time. Life is nice when spent around those we love. Take care and have a great week.

Prims By The Water said...

The Smokies are beautiful and I hated the winding steep roads myself when my parents took us to visit. I am afraid of heights as well. However the views are breathtaking. My Bob's mom was born in the mountains of Kentucky in Corbin. She had 20 acres up in the hills as he called it...mountains to us. Janice

Terri D said...

I am sorry to be late getting here but I just love your photos and I also love the Smokey Mountains. The stream and that fabulous sunset are amazing. Beautiful views from your cabin!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my gosh. I could live in that room. Those windows. I'd grab a book and tea and be in heaven. Heaven I say, heaven.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

It all looks so beautiful, including the cabin, but I would be very nervous about the steep road and sharp turns.
Love the picture of the cow poking its head through the fence.