Pages

Monday, July 27, 2020

Covid and work update

I know you are all sick of Covid.  You're probably sick of hearing about it.  I am too!  But even though you're sick of of, I'm giving you an update of what things look like in my facility.
For those of you who don't know about my work; I am the unit manager/infection control nurse at a skilled nursing center.  We have 2 sections, one is long term care and the other is skilled nursing - this section is for people who need rehab after surgery or injury, IV antibiotics or something similar that means they can't go home yet.
Although things seem to be improving for the most part, I think things are getting harder for us.  The rules seem to change by the week, and sometimes by the day.
We now have one whole section of our rehab area sectioned off with plastic hanging over it.  The people in this section are new admissions and are on complete isolation for 2 weeks.  They have all had Covid tests and are negative before coming to us, but in case something pops up, the isolation has to happen.




Here it is...  not pretty is it?  There are 6 rooms behind the plastic,  3 are privates, 3 are semi-private.  When we go into here we put on a N95 mask and new gown, wash in and when we come back out.


However,  we just got new rules from the CDC and now have to wear a gown, mask and face shield whenever we are anywhere in the building but in an office, so we have one face shield to wear on the regular unit, and one to wear when we go into the isolation unit.


Here I am - this is my attire every time I step out of my office.  I'm lucky that I can take it off sometimes.  The poor nurses, aides and housekeepers on the floor have to wear it all day, and I can tell you that it's very hot and uncomfortable.  I had to work the floor last weekend and had an aide actually get sick because she was so hot.  Plus it's hard to hear when people have to talk through all that.
The other thing that's going on is testing...    Our state has now mandated testing.  It's done weekly for staff and residents.  This is hard on our residents with dementia.  They have already gone for 4 months without seeing their loved ones face to face, they have had no personal Dr visits, the beautician can't come in so the only hair cuts they've had are the ones that staff has attempted and we are not professionals by any means.  Some of them were already scared of the masks and now have to see us with face shields and gowns on.  They can't hear or understand us well and now we are putting things up their noses every week.
The tests are proving to be a problem.  I have heard they are not very accurate and after seeing what's happening to us, I believe it.  We've had people come up positive with absolutely no symptoms.   We are checking vitals every 4 hours around the clock, and doing a check for symptoms at that same time.  I know that people can get this with no symptoms, but everyone?  And how can they test negative one week, positive the next and then on the recheck the next day be negative again?   We haven't had a single person that tested positive once, get a positive result on the next test.
Once staff is positive, they need to be taken off the schedule, which makes total sense - but we are short staffed and they lose their pay.  And if we can't trust the tests - it's for no reason.
Also - once they test positive, it doesn't matter how many negatives they get - it's counted as a Covid case.
I have talked to people in a few other facilities who are dealing with the same thing.  I am thankful that no one in our facility has been sick, just a positive test result.
I know Covid is real, I know some people get very sick from it, and I know we need to be careful (especially with the population I work with), but I also think there are things going on that make no sense and honestly look very suspicious.  I will also say that the medical people I know who work at various hospitals are saying the same thing and none of them are seeing the numbers that keep being reported - which may be due to false positive tests.
The other thing that's happening is people are getting out of the medical field.  It isn't that the disease scares them - it's dealing with a whole lot of regulations which make a lot more work and further isolates patients and takes away from patient care - without seeing the benefits to all these new rules. The weekly testing and paperwork alone takes 3 days, and speaking for myself, I'm working late every day and feel like I can never get done what I should, much less spend time with our residents who need it now, more than ever.
When this all started I was worried about getting Covid.  Now I am expecting that one of my weekly tests will come back positive and I will be fine, but unable to work and added to the positive count.
That's it for my rant!  I know some of you will probably not agree with this and that's ok.  I'm just sharing what it looks like on the inside.

18 comments:

Jean said...

Oh Mari!! This sounds absolutely horrible!! I am so sorry you are caught in all this extreme precaution. My heart absolutely breaks for the dementia patients and the workers on the floor. What a sad fallout from this virus!!

Terra said...

You wrote that once they test positive no matter how many negative results they have, they are counted as a Covid case, that really pumps up the number of cases with no proof it really was Covid. The tests sound pretty close to worthless. Stay well friend.

Laurel Wood said...

I agree with you completely - you have confirmed what I already "thought." As someone whose parents both had dementia before they passed, my heart goes out to your patients during this difficult time. God bless you, Mari. I appreciate the job that you do.

Hootin Anni said...

Okay, now my rant on the numbers...well, more a huge concern/question. When I sit down & watch news with Bud they show the drive thru testing & list the number of new positive cases. What I see is the long swab being inserted up the nostril. All well, and good. But the tester, when finished with one test, turns around, gets another swab for the next test...without changing gloves!! Wouldn't that bring on a false positive at times? Since the virus is spread by air-born particles and/or mucus? It happens over & over.

I really enjoyed reading this post for one reason. Not the extra work for you & your concern for your staff & residents, but for the bit of education you shared as an expert in your nursing. Thank you. And you're an angel for your commitment.

Hootin Anni said...

Okay, now my rant on the numbers...well, more a huge concern/question. When I sit down & watch news with Bud they show the drive thru testing & list the number of new positive cases. What I see is the long swab being inserted up the nostril. All well, and good. But the tester, when finished with one test, turns around, gets another swab for the next test...without changing gloves!! Wouldn't that bring on a false positive at times? Since the virus is spread by air-born particles and/or mucus? It happens over & over.

I really enjoyed reading this post for one reason. Not the extra work for you & your concern for your staff & residents, but for the bit of education you shared as an expert in your nursing. Thank you. And you're an angel for your commitment.

Sylvia said...

Thank you so much Mari for such an informative view of all that is going on for you. Doesn't make easy ready though. What a lot of extra gowning up etc and how difficult for your patients. Thank you all SO much for all you are doing. YOur care facility sounds wonderful.

Linda said...

I don't know how you do it, Mari, truly I don't. Same stories I hear here too. I know the sickness is real, but it does have a 99.8% survival rate. I also know of false positives too. Something fishy is going on, that is for sure.

I don't know Mari how you do it, seriously. I don't think I could work in that kind of environment and truthfully that has been the problem with the job hunt; so many restrictions here in NY.

ellen said...

Thank you for your post. I think everyone knows something fishy is going on. My friend lost her son in a car accident. Cause of death? Covid! They called the hospital to report the mistake. The hospital said that they were told to write Covid on every death. We also live in Michigan. I heard, but don't know if this is true, that the State gets Federal money from each Covid death. You have a right to rant all you want. This is hard on our health providers. Just know how appreciated you all are!

Changes in the wind said...

There was a video on FB interviewing many Doctors around the country saying basically that there is no need to be in fear and that the virus is treatable but it has been removed by FB. It was very interesting and it appears the reason it was removed is because it was promoted by President Trump.

Beth Cotell said...

I don't trust those tests because I've been hearing the same from so many other people in the medical field. Also hearing that if someone has had a positive test but no symptoms and they die from something else, they get counted as a COVID death. I know COVID is real but everything feels like a manipulation and I don't know who can be trusted any longer. It's so very depressing and my heart aches for all of those at the rest homes. My great aunt has been in isolation since March and is now being transferred to hospice. She got an infection in her foot at some point during her isolation and no one knew about it until it was too late. And all she would complain about to my mom on the phone was the fact that she just wanted her hair cut because she felt like she looked horrible. She didn't even want to visit her children until she could get her hair cut. She's still waiting on that haircut. So very sad. All of it. I appreciate the work you and your staff are doing in the midst of all this craziness.

Kim said...

A friend of mine here in NY works in the same kind of facility and has been doing what you describe for months. I don't know how you ladies are holding up. It's a lot to ask of anyone. I'm glad you have an office where you can escape to for a bit each day for a little respite from the gear. I do hope things change for better quickly. Please take care.

Susan said...

I enjoyed your honest post today Mari. My heart goes out to you and your staff. My niece works in the Covid unit at the county hospital and she says the saddest part is seeing patients die alone. Staff is there, but not family. I am sure there are problems with the testing, but most everyone is trying to do there part to keep this virus from killing more. Stay safe Mari. Glad you have the protective gear you need.

Zaankali said...

Thank you for sharing this. First hand information is so much more valuable than “so and so said”. There’s so much false information being passed as facts right now that I really appreciate people sharing first hand information.

Terri D said...

Thank you! Thank you for sharing your first-hand experiences with this C-19. You are telling us what we have been hearing about false positives being reported which skews the numbers horribly. As for the masks and shields, I noticed Helen's doctor and hin intern were wearing both last week, so it must be the trend for health-care workers. You do need to stay safe but I am so sorry for all the extra work and worry you are dealing with. Just thank you!

thismammablogs.x said...

Thankyou so much for sharing this, times are so uncertain, you are doing wonderful and I really feel sorry for you working so many hours you are so brave

Jenny the Pirate said...

We are being lied to -- plain and simple. There is a political agenda and an election at stake, and they will not let up until they get what they want -- even if that is not until November 2024. It's not right what they are doing to you and your residents, and I would even go so far as to say that it is evil. I pray for you daily as I know you are a light in this darkness, but I also can only imagine what it is costing you personally. Thank you for your dedication to a vulnerable population. God bless all of you at your workplace. xoxo

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh Mari, my heart goes out to you having to put up with all this. And those poor residents with dementia. It just doesn't seem right. There is just so much confusion, and stuff that doesn't add up, and now Dr. Faucci is suggesting that we all should be wearing those face guards instead of just masks, because people might be able to catch C-19 through their eyes. And he doesn't even wear a mask. Then I saw a video on FB that sounded plausible and encouraging, a doctor who says she has treated over 350 patients and they all got better (she used hydrochloroquine,zithromax, and zinc), but it got removed and the media is saying that's false info. Who even knows what to believe anymore. It's all so frustrating and so sad and you're there caught up in the midst of it all. Lord have mercy.

Tyaloo said...

I think Jesus is coming very soon :)