Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Cooking Thursday

I had a ham bone in the freezer from a ham I made earlier this year, and I knew I better be using it.  I often make pea soup and wanted to try bean soup.  I picked up a bag of Hursts Beans which had a recipe on the package.  It was really good!  It's starting to warm up, so I probably won't be making soup again for a while, but this recipe is a keeper, and it'll be on the menu next fall.

15 Bean Soup

1 bag Hursts 15 bean soup
8 cups vegetable broth
Ham bone with plenty of meat attached.
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
15 ounces dice tomatoes

Rinse beans checking for any debris.
Pour beans into large crockpot.  Add broth, ham bone, onion, garlic and chili powder. You may add more water or broth is needed.
Cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove ham bone, stir in tomatoes and seasoning packet from bean soup bag.
Add back any ham that is still attached to the bone.
Cook on low for at least 30 more minutes, can cook for longer if desired, and serve.

12 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

This sounds delicious and is one of John's favorite soups!

Susan said...

I made that soup a long time ago when my husband could still eat pork. I bet it was great! I made a beef soup today. Figured we might not have soup after this either since the weather is warming up. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Hootin Anni said...

I can eat soup year 'round. This, I'm sure is delicious.

Linda said...

Yum! A keeper for sure. smiles

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

We have had a few cool, rainy days so this soup would be perfect. thanks for the recipe.

Changes in the wind said...

Am sure it was a hit!

Arlene G said...

Girl, I grew up eating pinto beans once a week so when I was on my own I made a pledge to stay away from beans.lol My sisters still love pinto beans but I had my fill. I am sure they would like this soup!!

Terri D said...

I love bean soup and this one sounds yummy!

Sally said...

Oh, I love that soup, Mari. In fact, I have a package now that I need to make! :)

xoxo

Sally said...

Well, I finally made that soup. Oh so good! :)

xoxo

Jean said...

We LOVE ham and bean soup. We really like split pea soup too. Even our kids liked it. I always made bran muffins to go with bean soups. Perfect cold weather combination!

Jenny the Pirate said...

It's been twenty years since I made 15-bean soup. It used to be a staple at our house when the kids were growing up. They loved it. I'll have to try this again when the cool weather returns. Thanks for reminding me! xoxo