Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Treasure jar

After I showed the special jar that Laura did for us this Christmas, I got several e-mails asking about it, so I thought I would share a little more about it.

This is the jar we got this year, filled with all kinds of papers to open.  In front of it is the first one we pulled out which is a photo of the girls.


This is the one we got last year, with a photo and a drawing Alaina had done.  We got this for Christmas 2016, so the photos were from the year 2016 and it had drawings that Alaina had done when she was just turning 4.
People asked about what all was on the papers, and how many she put in it.  I don't have an exact number but there had to have been at least 300 little squares, because we pulled things out of it all year, all the way to Christmas 2017.
There were lots of photos of the girls, little drawings that Alaina did (and a couple from Ruby), verses that Laura wrote out, thank you's to us,  and memories that Laura had of growing up.



We couldn't just throw them away, so I got a little scrapbook and put them in as the year passed.








Here are a few sample pages of the book.


I thought this little picture was so cute that I framed it.  Everything else is in the scrapbook.
It's such a thoughtful, fun gift!   We enjoyed every piece of paper we pulled out and are looking forward to another year of these little treasures.

17 comments:

Karen said...

How sweet this is! I like that you collected it all into a scrapbook. Shared memories and heartfelt thoughts. Best gift ever.

Kari said...

How precious and beautiful. I love the hand written notes and now they are all in a scrapbook. What a great idea.!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

That is such a wonderful idea and gift. Personal things mean so much more than 'store bought' and with those two little girls, there is always something so sweet and meaningful.

Linda said...

Love, love, love it...smiles. Have a beautiful day, friend.

Zaankali said...

That is such a neat gift. What a treasure.

Doris said...

What a precious gift!! Love what you did to preserve the memories.

Arlene G said...

This is the perfect gift for a grandparent!!

Changes in the wind said...

Best gift for sure...

Jennifer Hays said...

These jars are so nice. What a touching gift. Laura is very creative and loving.

Saleslady371 said...

I frame Sookie's drawings too! I have always loved this concept. It is the best gift. All the effort pays off. While recouping from my first operation, I had my jar "Words of Love" on my desk next to my bed. My daughter grabbed it and we laughed so hard at the squares both girls filled out about 15 years ago. I still read them and chuckle!

Dianna said...

That is such a great way to share the love all year long. I love it that you got the scrapbook to keep the pictures and drawings in. Your daughter knows how to make her parents happy. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

You and your family come up with the best ideas ever. What a sweet idea!

Sally said...

That's one of the sweetest gifts I've ever seen. So thoughtful, and new treasures to open all year. Love your scrapbook idea also. :)

xoxo

Terri D said...

I just love this idea! So full of love and good feelings!

Mary said...

What a lovely gift. One day this will be a family heirloom...something to be handed down from one generation to the next and a new Christmas tradition as well.

If you get a chance, drop by my Writing Nook. I finally figured out my password.

Jenny said...

This is a wonderful, wonderful idea. I am going to tell Stephanie about it because I think her kids (who are homeschooled) could use this as a creative project and a low-cost Christmas gift which I would love to receive, haahaaha. Your scrapbook of the tidbits is an excellent idea too. xoxo

Laura said...

So glad you love it! My favorite gift is the photo books you make for us too. :) Memories are the best right?